Solved my GPU issues - not what I expected to be at fault!

SGM

So over the past few days or so I've been having trouble with my 290Xs, specifically the second card. It would work fine at idle however at load (typically only in games or BOINC) after several minutes the card would go dead and crash the system. 

Tried everything from reinstalling drivers to going back to previous restore points, all to no avail. I even tried swapping the cards around and still the card in the second slot failed. 

Sat mithering for a few minutes until it dawned on me. Although I had changed the position of the cards I plugged in the same power cable I'd normally use for each slot. Upon inspection of the cables I found that the second GPU power cable at the PSU end was knackered. The cable was fine physically however the plug had been damaged and several pins were bent or missing (see images).

Haven't got a clue how that happened, haven't opened my case in months. Fortunately I have two spare power cables in good condition. Ran the unigine valley benchmark for over 2 hours without issue! Fingers crossed it stays that way. :)

Just thought I'd share with you guys in case someone else finds it useful. I hadn't considered checking my PSU for faults but I will from now on. 

Oh, and the PSU is an FSP Aurum Pro 80+ Gold 1200W PSU. Not sure if it was just bad luck on my part or if it's an issue with these units but I'd be wary about how you treat your cables. 

post-150723-0-04437900-1445740513_thumb.

post-150723-0-81537800-1445740514_thumb.

The only time incorrectly is spelled incorrectly is when it is spelled incorrectly.

..how the hell do you do that? is the psu like 15 years old or something.

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

Did you overvolt your GPU really high ? xD

On 11/19/2014 at 2:14 PM, Syntaxvgm said:
You would think Ubisoft would support the Bulldozer based architectures more given their digging themed names like bulldozer, Piledriver, Steamroller and Excavator.

Just over a year old :/

The cables are quite neatly tucked away but it's been fine up until the past few days. Made sure to slacken off the other cables down there while I was at it. 

You can see the cable at fault in the attached picture. That's how it was for months.

post-150723-0-53987100-1445741104_thumb.

The only time incorrectly is spelled incorrectly is when it is spelled incorrectly.

Did you overvolt your GPU really high ? xD

No. Relatively mild overclock. Think it may have been strain on the cable over time as well as periodic cleaning may have done it.