Cool my case

lubblig

Hi, Im about to buy the cooler master HAF XM Mid Tower black case and I want to know how I should cool it. (If I need more fans etc..) So it comes with a 200mm front fan that glows red that is currently an intake fan. On top it has one 200mm fan and I don't know if it is intake or exhaust but I guess it is just a matter of flipping it over. It does have space for more fans here though if someone can take a look at the exact numbers because when I look, I get different answers. (I looked at Linus's video on this case and on the website Im buying it from. They are saying different things..) At the back I have a 140mm fan. On the side panel I have support for 120 x 120 x 25 mm fan. (Don't understand this last on, I just copied the stuff of off the website where Im buying.)

But anyways, why I need help is because I don't understand it completly and want some confirmation. So that I know what is in the case, but then what is a good way of cooling? Intake in the front and then exhaust on top and at the back? Do you think I should buy an extra fan for the side panel? Should that be an intake then? Well that is things that Im wondering...

Regards,

Ludwig Johnson

Spoiler

System:

i5 3570k @ 4.4 GHz, MSI Z77A-G43, Dominator Platinum 1600MHz 16GB (2x8GB), EVGA GTX 980ti 6GB, CM HAF XM, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB + Some WD Red HDD, Corsair RM850 80+ Gold, Asus Xonar Essence STX, Windows 10 Pro 64bit

PCPP:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/znZqcf

So... you have one fan in front, as an intake. You always want the TOP fans exhausting air, to pull the heat out. According to the site it comes with 1x200 fan, which by default will be in exhaust mode. Has an opton for another 200 or you can remove the included 200 and put in 120/140 fans. This would be more the case if you want to put something like an H100i or similar and need to attach the rad. Comes with a rear 140mm fan which will be exhausting as well. The side panel supports a 200mm fan OR up to 2 x 140mm fans. If adding one here, always go with the largest fan. They move more air and are quieter. Side fans should also always be intake fans.

Finally - you can put a couple of fan inside the case to help move air - 120x120x25 just refers to dimensions. Fans are square, so a 120mm is always 120x120 and the 25 is the thickness - 25mm. This is a standard for 120+ sized fans. Smaller fans can have smaller thickness and some "custom" fans can also be weird thickness. They are just telling ou by saying 120x120x25 - its a standard 120mm fan. :)

You are right - intake front, exhaust on rear and top (which they should be by default). Depending on if you are running some really hot gear, add a 200mm fan to the side, as an intake fan. This will help cool video card...

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

Ok, thanks! Made it clear to me :) Two new fans it is.

Spoiler

System:

i5 3570k @ 4.4 GHz, MSI Z77A-G43, Dominator Platinum 1600MHz 16GB (2x8GB), EVGA GTX 980ti 6GB, CM HAF XM, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB + Some WD Red HDD, Corsair RM850 80+ Gold, Asus Xonar Essence STX, Windows 10 Pro 64bit

PCPP:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/znZqcf