Dedicated PhysX card and how to make it work

BillyCool

Hello everyone,

I recently got two old nVidia cards, a 8600GT 1GB and a 9500GT 1GB and I was wondering f I could run one of these along with my HD 7850 as a dedicated PhysX card. Both the cards support nVidia PhysX according to the nVidia website.

If that's possible, I would like someone to explain what do I need to do, what drivers should I install other than my AMD ones and how to fix VirtuMVP not launching and giving error about "wrong GPU configuration".

Thanks in advance.

As far as I know, both your GPUs need to be manufactured by Nvidia to be able to use PhysX.

With modified drivers you can however they're more likely to cause a bottle neck than be of a boost to performance. If you want to, just google how.

i once tried PhysX with a GTX460 and a GT430. the mismatched pair caused the Nvidia drivers to stop responding/crash every once in awhile, and only after i took out the GT430 did it go away. i also tried the Hybrid PhysX thing with the GT430 and the HD5750 i had prior to the GTX460, and it didn't do to0 well when Mirror's Edge got intense (though the HD5750 might be to blame for that). a friend of mine (who had an HD6990) tried it as well with my GTX460, and he ended up getting better PhysX performance out of his i5-2500K than the GTX460.

so from first-hand experience, your best bet is to leave out the dedicated PhysX unless you have two Nvidia cards of similar performance levels (for instance, a GTX670 and a GTX680).

Linus made a video some time ago addressing the dedicated PhysX issue:

Desktop: CM Elite 130 - Corsair CX600M PSU - Asus Maximus VI Impact - Intel Core i7-4790K (@4.4GHz) - Corsair H80i - 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 - Asus DirectCUII Radeon R9 290 - 250GB Samsung EVO SSD + 4TB WD Red HDD

Laptop: Asus N56DP-DH11 (AMD A10-4600M - Radeon HD7730M) -------------------------------------------------------- I know, I'm a bit of an AMD fanboy --------------------------------------------------------

"It's not what you drive; it's how you drive it."   ~~Jeremy Clark, TopGear

Thanks a lot about the posts guys, I guess it's not worth it after all.

/locked