please delete

Tobleh

please delete

Current System: R7 1700x 3.93Ghz, PowerColor R9 380x 1.14ghz, 16gb Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200mhz, EVGA 650 GS

My $20 EVGA 400W PSU powers my 290 (which draws 300W on load) and the rest of my system not only while gaming but while folding for a week straight.

Edit: Just because one PSU from a manufacturer is good, doesn't mean they all are. Unless you've had ten of these PSUs and each one of them performaed the exact same way, then don't recommend it. I don't recommend my PSU because mine has a bad history (although not as bad as the CX series) even if mine performs way better than I expected it to.

So I've been using a Dynex 500w psu that I snagged off a friend for $20 when my old 400w piece of sh*t unbranded garbage psu blew up last month, and I have to admit this thing is pretty dang amazing. It isn't black, isn't modular, but has sleeved cables. So in the looks department it's give or take, but when it comes to supplying power it's pretty damn good at it. It holds up to me stress testing my gpu (HD 7850) and cpu (a10-6800k) without breaking a sweat. The fan is decently quiet and keeps the thing running nice and cool no matter what I'm doing.

It retails for $40-$45 on amazon, and is overall just a really nice power supply for a lower end low power system. Highly recommended.

Follow your own topics by the way.

Isn't Dynex a best buy exclusive brand? As far as I know, That PSU is a Huntkey (cheap, Chinese OEM) unit that's pretty bad quality. Just because it's powering your rig doesn't mean it's good. Personally wouldn't even consider buying it.

It has a brand, but is essentially a no-name unit from what I can find on it. Considering how little information you can find on it, I wouldn't trust it. 

Dynex in a nutshell - as well as any other cheapo chinese PSU
EnormousRecentGrunion.gif

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Isn't Dynex a best buy exclusive brand? As far as I know, That PSU is a Huntkey (cheap, Chinese OEM) unit that's pretty bad quality. Just because it's powering your rig doesn't mean it's good. Personally wouldn't even consider buying it.

It has a brand, but is essentially a no-name unit from what I can find on it. Considering how little information you can find on it, I wouldn't trust it. 

Yes, Dynex is a Best Buy brand.

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

My $20 EVGA 400W PSU powers my 290 (which draws 300W on load) and the rest of my system not only while gaming but while folding for a week straight.

Edit: Just because one PSU from a manufacturer is good, doesn't mean they all are. Unless you've had ten of these PSUs and each one of them performaed the exact same way, then don't recommend it. I don't recommend my PSU because mine has a bad history (although not as bad as the CX series) even if mine performs way better than I expected it to.

Dynex in a nutshell - as well as any other cheapo chinese PSU

EnormousRecentGrunion.gif

Thanks for the input! Even though it's all negative I still appreciate it. I've had a great run with this psu so I thought I would go ahead and talk about how much I enjoy it, but I guess I'm more or less lucky that it's running well and not exploding/catching on fire? Also I didn't know it was a best buy exclusive, news to me. Again, thanks for the input!

Current System: R7 1700x 3.93Ghz, PowerColor R9 380x 1.14ghz, 16gb Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200mhz, EVGA 650 GS

Thanks for the input! Even though it's all negative I still appreciate it. I've had a great run with this psu so I thought I would go ahead and talk about how much I enjoy it, but I guess I'm more or less lucky that it's running well and not exploding/catching on fire? Also I didn't know it was a best buy exclusive, news to me. Again, thanks for the input!

No problem, don't take it the wrong way, we're not trying to shit on you but rather point our the quality of the product. Good PSUs are usually made by SeaSonic, Delta, Super Flower, Enhance and partly CWT - look for those as OEMs - they are usually sold under SeaSonic (they sell their own as well - literally everything from them is good), Antec(HCG, HCP, Neo, etc), EVGA (G2, GS, B2, P2), Super Flower (again), Corsair (they use CWT mainly - look for anything above the CS series), Cooler Master (VSM, V, GM, GX), XFX (SeaSonic rebrands)

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Not so much lucky as a matter of time. A lot of no-name units run fine for people, as well as branded, poor quality units. However, it's much, much more likely to take things with it if it does fail, unlike a decent quality unit, which would normally just fail on its own if it does. 

The issue is that the components are not built or designed to sufficiently protect the PC against things like powersurges, and can often not provide stable power when closer to its stated maximum output.  

No problem, don't take it the wrong way, we're not trying to shit on you but rather point our the quality of the product. Good PSUs are usually made by SeaSonic, Delta, Super Flower, Enhance and partly CWT - look for those as OEMs - they are usually sold under SeaSonic (they sell their own as well - literally everything from them is good), Antec(HCG, HCP, Neo, etc), EVGA (G2, GS, B2, P2), Super Flower (again), Corsair (they use CWT mainly - look for anything above the CS series), Cooler Master (VSM, V, GM, GX), XFX (SeaSonic rebrands)

I appreciate all the info! Although I do know most of this already, I'm not new to the computer hardware world or anything. But I am still learning, so I appreciate your willingness to point out flaws in things I say and the hardware I use, it's why I like this forum so much.

Not so much lucky as a matter of time. A lot of no-name units run fine for people, as well as branded, poor quality units. However, it's much, much more likely to take things with it if it does fail, unlike a decent quality unit, which would normally just fail on its own if it does. 

The issue is that the components are not built or designed to sufficiently protect the PC against things like powersurges, and can often not provide stable power when closer to its stated maximum output.  

Very good information. I guess the good news is I'm only going to be using this unit for another month or so as I'm saving up for a Seasonic psu.

I appreciate all the info! Although I do know most of this already, I'm not new to the computer hardware world or anything. But I am still learning, so I appreciate your willingness to point out flaws in things I say and the hardware I use, it's why I like this forum so much.

Very good information. I guess the good news is I'm only going to be using this unit for another month or so as I'm saving up for a Seasonic psu.

No problem. 

Good choice. It's worth taking a look at XFX's units too. They are SeaSonic OEM units, but you can often find them cheaper. Literally any SeaSonic PSU is a safe one to go with, but it's also worth looking at EVGA's B2 and GS series as they're good, lower priced units (as opposed to their G2, P2 and so on series, which are a fair bit more). Antec High Current Gamer are also a good choice, but I've seen them going up in price recently.

usually a good way of figuring out OEM unit quality is by looking at the company thats putting them in their products.

how much pride does that company have?

does acer have much pride in their prebuilts?

can HP afford their office prebuilds randomly catching fire anywhere before 10 years of service?

does ibuypoop (ibuypower) give out a system to a streamer to then have it erupt flames on stream?

do you think medion cares if their systems die after the warranty period is over?

spoiler: here's the answers for you:

acer - not really... they arent stupid, but they could be so much more. lots of potential lost here...

HP - no. not a chance. one catches fire and the entire buisiness looks elsewhere - potential of hundreds of machines lost. they can die over time, but they have to do so in a peaceful way. (sneaky spoiler: HP doesnt give a shit about home users, i have the very product of that in my clouset)

ibuypoop - well... at least their prebuilts dont catch fire running 24/7 under load with zero maintentance. and last a decent bit.

medion - *insert snorting laugh sound here* even if they break within warranty, their custommer support is that bad you might as well just buy a new one. i've heard stories of machines coming back from RMA more broken as they went in, with perfectly good parts swapped out for HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE garbage.

No problem. 

Good choice. It's worth taking a look at XFX's units too. They are SeaSonic OEM units, but you can often find them cheaper. Literally any SeaSonic PSU is a safe one to go with, but it's also worth looking at EVGA's B2 and GS series as they're good, lower priced units (as opposed to their G2, P2 and so on series, which are a fair bit more). Antec High Current Gamer are also a good choice, but I've seen them going up in price recently.

Well there are a lot of good choices when searching these up. I don't know, I'm pretty much broke as broke can be so I don't have a lot of choice when it comes to parts, so I'll just pick up whatever unit from these companies/series at the time has the best price to performance for around $60-$70 because that's what I'm saving up to.

Currently using a Corsair ax760 and have been for about a year now, hasn't skipped a beat. IMHO I'd rather spend a bit more on a known brand like Corsair for my power supply. 

Currently using a Corsair ax760 and have been for about a year now, hasn't skipped a beat. IMHO I'd rather spend a bit more on a known brand like Corsair for my power supply. 

Thing is, brand doesn't really mean much, as they're not the ones making the PSUs. While the AX760 is a great PSU, Corsair also have bad and sub-par PSUs in their line up. (Corsair have also gotten a bad reputation recently from people over exaggerating how bad the CX series is, which they don't really deserve IMO) 

OEM is what matters, as well as the individual units. OEMs like SeaSonic, Delta and SuperFlower don't make bad PSUs, so they can be recommended as a whole. Brands, like Corsair, shouldn't really be recommended as a whole, due to how they source their units from various manufacturers with various quality of units. Same goes for companies like EVGA, in particular, as they've now got a reputation for being a solid choice, even though they have a fair few mediocre units, as well as some horrible ones in their line up.

For PSUs, research is key. For brands, it needs to be model specific, down to the wattage, as some brand's units change OEM and quality for some wattages and revisions. Only a few OEMs are completely safe to buy any PSU from, as well as some brands like XFX who only use Seasonic units.