Need help choosing server parts plz

So I was wanting to make a server to host some game(s) on for myself and many other people to play on. I would have a budget of around 500$, and rack mountable (U1) size. I'm fairly new to server building so many things I'm unsure about, any tips and help or even a build list would be great! Thanks!

One curious question: How exactly does the 'U' server rack size work?

Need help choosing server parts plz

Thanks, Alex.

1U is literally 1 unit of space in your rack. It's approximately 1.75 inches tall.  Why would you need a rack mountable server?  Do you have a rack at home, or planning to get one? @alexly123

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

Yes, I already have one, and It would be very efficient to use it instead of finding a place for a regular case to sit. @Samfisher

1U is a pain in the ass, don't bother with it, just get a 2u case.

1U requires a special power supply, standards CPU coolers don't fit, your motherboard's I/O shield is actually taller than the height of the case and won't fit, the only way to add in any expansion cards is with a 90 degree riser - if you're lucky and it fits and you need very small fans that have to spin at jet engine speeds and noise levels to move enough air to keep your system from melting.

2U allows you to use standard ATX power supplies, you can fill all your PCIe slots if you needed with low profile cards and you can use standard CPU coolers. and getting enough air movement is possible with easily available and fairly priced fans.

There is no reason to use 1U unless you only have one unit of space left in your rack or you're buying a prebuilt server that deals with all these issues.

Ok, thanks! I've got that down, but anyone have ideas on proper parts for a server?