290X Vapor-X secondary card issue

SGM

I have two Sapphire R9 290X Vapor-X cards in crossfire and my system has been fine since I built it over a year ago however yesterday and today it froze and the second card stopped working. It displayed a red LED at the end of the card (where the green LED normally is when in ULPS) and the centre fan spun at maximum RPM. I was running BOINC and watching videos on YT, as I normally do, then all of a sudden it crashes. 

After swapping the cards around I tried resuming what I was doing, BOINC running and watching videos and it did it again, only rather than it being the top card, which I thought may be faulty, it was the lower card.

It's also worth mentioning that around the time of the crash(es) Windows kept trying to install new AMD drivers via system update however they would always fail. My drivers are up to date so I don't know why it is trying to install 'new' drivers. Is this causing it to crash? 

Has anyone else had this happen? 

UPDATE: I've tried it again after a system restore and with my ethernet cable unplugged running only BOINC and it still crashes. Going to try running some games to see if it occurs then. I may also try uninstalling BOINC and reinstalling it. 

UPDATE 2: Games are fine, no issues there. It appears that BOINC is the culprit. Will try a fresh install of it. If the issue persists I guess I'll just have to give it up. 

post-150723-0-17804500-1445480358.png

post-150723-0-75359000-1445482114_thumb.

The only time incorrectly is spelled incorrectly is when it is spelled incorrectly.

Try use DDU to remove the driver and reinstall it (preferable 15.7.1 or 15.10 beta), that should prevent WU to automatically update your graphic driver.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Try use DDU to remove the driver and reinstall it (preferable 15.7.1 or 15.10 beta), that should prevent WU to automatically update your graphic driver.

I'll give that a go, thanks.

The only time incorrectly is spelled incorrectly is when it is spelled incorrectly.

Just restarted with that update, I have a Vapor x 290. Going to try Valley.

UPDATE# Windows removed my drivers with the update, reinstalled them but now I have screen tear when I never had it before in vally. Tried an earlier driver and no luck... Not happy.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

Tried running some games and they're all fine. It only seems to be BOINC that's causing the issue. All I'm doing it running collatz conjecture which I've been doing for months. 

Completely re-installed catalyst and the beta driver. Going to see if that helped.

Completely re-installed catalyst and the beta driver. Going to see if that helped.

I don't understand why we can't disable or block updates we don't want like in previous iterations of Windows. 10 is great, and I like using it but it has little annoyances like this.

I don't understand why we can't disable or block updates we don't want like in previous iterations of Windows. 10 is great, and I like using it but it has little annoyances like this.

Yep completely agree. Completely removing/replacing the beta driver helped, but I still have some screen tear. But my numbers are back. Just have to hope they fix it...

Thanks for the heads up, if not for you I would have been blind sided! I owe you one.

No worries. Hopefully you get it fixed. 

Yep completely agree. Completely removing/replacing the beta driver helped, but I still have some screen tear. But my numbers are back. Just have to hope they fix it...

Thanks for the heads up, if not for you I would have been blind sided! I owe you one.

Try change your desktop to lower res and then switch back to native.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |