Best Mid Tower for Air Cooling?

Hunched

It has to be fully dust filtered.

I'm most interested in the Phanteks Enthoo Pro M, but there's also the Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 and Corsair 450D.

I have an Arc Midi R2 but its build quality is terrible so I'm upgrading.

Any cases I may have overlooked that you recommend?

prom-1b.jpg

mcpro5-1b.jpg

obsidian-450d-1-1280x1024.jpg

I'm most interested in the Phanteks Enthoo Pro M, but there's also the Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 and Corsair 450D.

prom-1b.jpg

mcpro5-1b.jpg

obsidian-450d-1-1280x1024.jpg

Do you need a 5.25 bay? Also do you plan on populating all of your  available front/rear slots (or only use what comes with the thing)? Finally since you are air cooling do you plan on putting any fans up top on the cases?

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Do you need a 5.25 bay? Also do you plan on populating all of your  available front/rear slots (or only use what comes with the thing)? Finally since you are air cooling do you plan on putting any fans up top on the cases?

Don't plan on using it, but funnily enough it's currently where my HDD and SSD are.

I had to suspend my HDD to fix the case vibration, and did so in the 5.25 bay.

Freed up room for more airflow by removing all the drive cages.

I'll be putting 2x 140mm NF-A14's up front and 1 at the back. (Will probably buy another NF-A14 to put up front on a case that supports 3x 140mm)

I don't plan on putting any fans up top.

Don't plan to, but funnily enough it's currently where my HDD and SSD are.

I had to suspend my HDD to fix the case vibration, and did so in the 5.25 bay.

Freed up room for more airflow by removing all the drive cages.

Ahh yes. We had this conversation already. Well in terms of pure airflow capability the MasterCase Pro5 and the Fractal Design Define S have by FAR the best airflow (assuming you populate the three 140mm slots up front). As they are two of the only 3x 140mm low-restriction, fully filtered (the Define S is if you don't open the moduvents which you shouldn't have a reason to if air cooling) mid-tower cases I am aware of.

The Air 540 from Corsair would be the next best thing (before getting into huge mid-towers and full towers), but it's super expensive...

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/carbide-series-air-540-high-airflow-atx-cube-case

If you want or need the 5.25 then the three you chose are probably the best bets I can think of.

There are other more silent optimized cases that are very good, but airflow on them tends to be notably worse (like the Be Quiet Silent Base 800 for example)

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

then you will be jumping into the same "quality" issues as now (what they might be)

the phanteks window is prone to scratching and powder coating is very, very thin.

the corsair obsidian has a weaker rear i/o and lighter gauged material all over.

can't speak of the pro 5, but from the last volley of n-series cases, lighter materials

chassis flex and mass of weakness.

you'll rethink the fd quality standards..

Ahh yes. We had this conversation already. Well in terms of pure airflow capability the MasterCase Pro5 and the Fractal Design Define S have by FAR the best airflow (assuming you populate the three 140mm slots up front). As they are two of the only 3x 140mm low-restriction, fully filtered (the Define S is if you don't open the moduvents which you shouldn't have a reason to if air cooling) mid-tower cases I am aware of.

The Air 540 from Corsair would be the next best thing (before getting into huge mid-towers and full towers), but it's super expensive...

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/carbide-series-air-540-high-airflow-atx-cube-case

If you want or need the 5.25 then the three you chose are probably the best bets I can think of.

There are other more silent optimized cases that are very good, but airflow on them tends to be notably worse (like the Be Quiet Silent Base 800 for example)

I was heavily considering the Air 540 at a point, I like how efficiently it uses space and there aren't many similar cases... 

But for how much it costs, it's unacceptable there is no PSU intake filter, and no filter for the exposed top of the case.

Otherwise I'd probably own it.

SPCR (who are very reputable) say the Define S has vibration issues with HDD's, and this can't be fixed as there is no room to improvise any solution.

I already had issues with HDD with my current Fractal case, and I certainly wouldn't bet against SPCR's word, so that rules out that case unfortunately, it's a good price and not really any other issues otherwise. The moduvent thing is dumb and there should be a dust filter up there, but that wouldn't have stopped me from buying it.

I looked into the Silent Base 800 and figured that out, it also seems to be an issue with the Evolv lineup from Phanteks, restrictive airflow.

then you will be jumping into the same "quality" issues as now (what they might be)

the phanteks window is prone to scratching and powder coating is very, very thin.

the corsair obsidian has a weaker rear i/o and lighter gauged material all over.

can't speak of the pro 5, but from the last volley of n-series cases, lighter materials

chassis flex and mass of weakness.

you'll rethink the fd quality standards..

Yea, I was hoping it was just this case, but most people seem to love the Arc Midi R2... it doesn't seem like many people have very high standards.

The Enthoo Pro M window fares better with scratches than the Define S window, I know this much. 

The Pro M has nearly no flex even without the side panels on, which tells me it's built solid at the least.

The Pro M also has the same chassis from the fully aluminum $180 Enthoo Evolv ATX, which is a plus to me if I get it.

It seems they tried to cut costs without compromising build quality, it only comes with 1 fan.

Maybe I'll be disappointed again, I don't know, I'd be surprised if it's as bad as my Arc Midi R2.

What case would you recommend?

I was heavily considering the Air 540 at a point, I like how efficiently it uses space and there aren't many similar cases... 

But for how much it costs, it's unacceptable there is no PSU intake filter, and no filter for the exposed top of the case.

Otherwise I'd probably own it.

SPCR (who are very reputable) say the Define S has vibration issues with HDD's, and this can't be fixed as there is no room to improvise any solution.

I already had issues with HDD with my current Fractal case, and I certainly wouldn't bet against SPCR's word, so that rules out that case unfortunately, it's a good price and not really any other issues otherwise. The moduvent thing is dumb and there should be a dust filter up there, but that wouldn't have stopped me from buying it.

I looked into the Silent Base 800 and figured that out, it also seems to be an issue with the Evolv lineup from Phanteks, restrictive airflow.

Indeed. My only comment would be that it is exceedingly simple and cheap to buy anti-vibration hdd mounts and if you have an SSD for OS then you shouldn't see it spinning very often anyways. (I myself do not ever notice the issue, but seeing as my HDD only activates when watching movies or pictures, it's not necessarily representative of a hdd-based system.

The points on the Air 540 are exactly true. That's why I would put it on the next teir behind the Define S and Mastercase Pro 5.

BTW it sounds like for your wants that is exactly the case (Mastercase Pro 5) for you. I only mention that by the time you add a window and some of the other features you might want, it is MUCH MUCH more expensive than the Define S.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

Indeed. My only comment would be that it is exceedingly simple and cheap to buy anti-vibration hdd mounts and if you have an SSD for OS then you shouldn't see it spinning very often anyways. (I myself do not ever notice the issue, but seeing as my HDD only activates when watching movies or pictures, it's not necessarily representative of a hdd-based system.

The points on the Air 540 are exactly true. That's why I would put it on the next teir behind the Define S and Mastercase Pro 5.

BTW it sounds like for your wants that is exactly the case (Mastercase Pro 5) for you. I only mention that by the time you add a window and some of the other features you might want, it is MUCH MUCH more expensive than the Define S.

The Define S comes with HDD anti-vibration mounts though, as does the Arc Midi R2. They don't solve the issue unfortunately.

My games are stored on my HDD, when games are 60gb like BF4 and GTA V it's necessary. So it would be an issue quite often.

The MasterCase Pro 5 ($140 USD) is also much more expensive than the Pro M, obviously since the Pro M is priced near the Define S.

I don't know if it's justified costing that much more... probably not completely. It's nice that it has an extra spot for a front 140mm fan.

Pro M availability is abysmal in Canada and currently it's a bad deal to get one, will cost me $130 CAD just to get because of shipping.

Meanwhile I can get the MasterCase Pro 5 with free shipping, comes to $180 CAD ($140 USD), still quite a bit more...

Ahh choices...

The Define S comes with HDD anti-vibration mounts though, as does the Arc Midi R2. They don't solve the issue unfortunately.

My games are stored on my HDD, when games are 60gb like BF4 and GTA V it's necessary. So it would be an issue quite often.

The MasterCase Pro 5 ($140 USD) is also much more expensive than the Pro M, obviously since the Pro M is priced near the Define S.

I don't know if it's justified costing that much more... probably not completely. It's nice that it has an extra spot for a front 140mm fan.

Pro M availability is abysmal in Canada and currently it's a bad deal to get one, will cost me $130 CAD just to get because of shipping.

Meanwhile I can get the MasterCase Pro 5 with free shipping, comes to $180 CAD ($140 USD), still quite a bit more...

Ahh choices...

Yep I wouldn't know what to tell you there. Hard choice.

I meant you can put rubber on the tray itself where it connects to the case which would help, not just from the tray to the hdd (as is included). Also I have a distinct feeling that the level of tightness the hdd thumb screw is applied will make a huge difference one way or another in HDD noise (as if the screw is loose even a little bit then that is a potentially huge vibration source.)

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

Anyone else have case suggestions? Maybe some new cases being released soon I should be excited for?

I won't bother bumping this anymore.

If it wasn't for Curufinwe_wins I wouldn't have gotten any replies. Not many people here own cases or have opinions I guess  :rolleyes:

I don't think my requirements were that specific and limiting.

I'll get the Enthoo Pro M if it's ever in stock from somewhere with reasonable delivery times and prices.

If not, I'll cave and get the MasterCase Pro 5 I guess, it has way better availability. 

I won't bother bumping this anymore.

If it wasn't for Curufinwe_wins I wouldn't have gotten any replies. Not many people here own cases or have opinions I guess  :rolleyes:

I don't think my requirements were that specific and limiting.

I'll get the Enthoo Pro M if it's ever in stock from somewhere with reasonable delivery times and prices.

If not, I'll cave and get the MasterCase Pro 5 I guess, it has way better availability. 

Well I do try to help. Honestly there aren't that many good options, which is why the Define Series has been so insanely popular (even though you and others have put out many fair and accurate critiques...)

Whatever case you get, I hope it works well for you. After all, that's the real point in the end.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

I'd get the 450d, great airflow, cheap, dust filters on front have bigger holes than most people are comfortable with, but work fine. Holds eatx. Just because something is popular it doesn't mean it's good, i.e. jurassic world, gtx970 lol

^^^^^ I mean the high airflow 450d

@Curufinwe_wins

The one case I think I missed is the Noctis 450, H440 with airflow.

Internally it's a good candidate, the only issue I see is a matter of taste, the external styling is a bit extreme.

noctis450-1b.jpg

@Curufinwe_wins

The one case I think I missed is the Noctis 450, H440 with airflow.

Internally it's a good candidate, the only issue I see is a matter of taste, the external styling is a bit extreme.

noctis450-1b.jpg"With airflow" still more restrictive than any of the other cases you listed. And comparing to the h440 is a recipe for disaster, but yea it's literally just an h440 with angles.

I purposely ommited it because it fails all the same ways the h440 does while being more expensive (if I remember correctly.)

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

This case looks pretty damn good, especially from a company I never see anyone talking about. It's $80 USD on superbiiz.com. 

http://www.aerocool.us/pgs/pgs-a/pgs_a_a1000_bk.html

iso.jpg

The only thing I see that I don't like is the rear exhaust is limited to 120mm fans.

Nothing about it looks too cheap in comparison to other cases in this topic, except for its fans, which I'd replace anyway.

Did you know about this @Curufinwe_wins ?

I think I've seen almost every case in the PCPartPicker listings by now  :lol:

This case looks pretty damn good, especially from a company I never see anyone talking about. It's $80 USD on superbiiz.com. 

http://www.aerocool.us/pgs/pgs-a/pgs_a_a1000_bk.html

iso.jpg

The only thing I see that I don't like is the rear exhaust is limited to 120mm fans.

Nothing about it looks too cheap in comparison to other cases in this topic, except for its fans, which I'd replace anyway.

Did you know about this @Curufinwe_wins ?

I think I've seen almost every case in the PCPartPicker listings by now  :lol:

That and some small unfiltered vents up top, but yea it looks pretty damn good. I wonder how sturdy it is.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

-snip-

Too restrictive unfortunately

Oh, forgot about that...

I was thinking about a Caselabs case (i guess it's the sm8), but they are extremely expensive and they don't come with dust filters, so...

That and some small unfiltered vents up top, but yea it looks pretty damn good. I wonder how sturdy it is.

Kitguru says the construction feels solid.

I don't think there are any videos out there of anyone doing a Dmitry flex test though

I've been trying to decide on a case for my new build, for quite some time. In fact, it's what's holding up the whole process. I keep coming back to the 450D, though. The small form factor and non-aggressive design are quite appealing to me.

I've been trying to decide on a case for my new build, for quite some time. In fact, it's what's holding up the whole process. I keep coming back to the 450D, though. The small form factor and non-aggressive design are quite appealing to me.

I love the design of the 450D but the quality doesn't seem to be there, I'm not considering it anymore. The mesh at the front is also very open, to the point I don't see it being very useful for dust, not nearly as much as the filters on these other cases. I haven't heard many great things about Corsair cases as of late.

This would be my dream case (but in black, which it comes in): 

The only possible issue would be restrictive airflow at the front intakes, but apparently it's quite good. The Enthoo Pro M has the same internal chassis as that sexy beautiful beast of a case.

That makes me want the Pro M more, it seems they tried to reduce cost in as many ways possible without compromising build quality, they compromised features.

I mean the case only comes with 1 fan... which is great for me as I'd be replacing them all anyway, 0 fans would be even better, invest that money elsewhere  :D

Thankfully I don't do drunk internet shopping, I'd have that Evolv ATX if I did. It's like $240 CAD because our dollar sucks.