weird graphics card problem

I was playing League of legends and the game graphics starting bugging then the screen became a stripped grey pattern and i could hear a buzz through my headset. This had happened a couple of times before and i had to restart my pc(couldnt alt-tab, ctrl-alt-del). But now when after the windows spinning thing loads up my monitor shuts off for a second and then there is a black screen that i cant do anything to fix. I think the computer is crashed cause pressing caps lock doesnt light up the led. My computer works normally on safe mode and after removing my graphics card it works normally with the on-board graphics as well. I have run a couple of antivirus and tried reinstalling the drivers but it didnt work. 

Sorry for the long story

thnx

How long did you wait at the black screen?  Try at least 5 minutes to be sure.

Also, specs?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

How long did you wait at the black screen?  Try at least 5 minutes to be sure.

Also, specs?

sounds like a faulty graphics card, is it new and what brand?

CPU: 3570k

MOBO: asrock z77 extreme 4

GPU: msi r9 270x 

Storage: 120gb ocz ssd + 1TB WD black

The graphics card is almost 2 years old 

Are you on Windows 10 by any chance?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Are you on Windows 10 by any chance?

No im on windows 7 64 bit 

No im on windows 7 64 bit 

OK, that probably rules out one thing.  Have you tried testing that card on a different computer?  It does sound like an issue with the card...

I was playing League of legends and the game graphics starting bugging then the screen became a stripped grey pattern and i could hear a buzz through my headset. This had happened a couple of times before and i had to restart my pc(couldnt alt-tab, ctrl-alt-del). But now when after the windows spinning thing loads up my monitor shuts off for a second and then there is a black screen that i cant do anything to fix. I think the computer is crashed cause pressing caps lock doesnt light up the led. My computer works normally on safe mode and after removing my graphics card it works normally with the on-board graphics as well. I have run a couple of antivirus and tried reinstalling the drivers but it didnt work. 

Sorry for the long story

thnx

are your drivers up to date, have you switched the hdmi cable

I had this before.

It's VRAM overload. Happens when the game tries to use 3GB on a 2GB card.

But first, let's talk about parallel universes.

Spoiler

Intel i7-4790k undervolt, NVidia EVGA GTX 980Ti SC Reference, NVidia EVGA GTX 480 SC Reference, ASUS Z97-A/USB3.1, SK Hynix SL308 240GB, WD Green 2TB, Hynix 1333 8GB (4x2), XFX Core Pro 850w, NH-U12S, 4x NF-F12's, Sennheiser HD 558's, Blue Yeti, Corsair K70 (red), Logitech MX Master, XBox One Controller, ASUS VG248QE 144Hz, HP 2010i

Sorry for the long story

thnx

try getting a display port to hdmi cable, and use the display port instead of the hdmi port

I had this before.

on league i doubt it

I had this before.

Not sure about that but anyway how do i fix it?

Could also be PSU not supplying enough power too.

But no, I had this issue before on GTA 5. I went over my GPU vRAM limit and it started doing the stripey-crash-thing. Got a 7950 3GB and it stopped. You should be able to fix it by lowering the graphical settings in the game.

Spoiler

Intel i7-4790k undervolt, NVidia EVGA GTX 980Ti SC Reference, NVidia EVGA GTX 480 SC Reference, ASUS Z97-A/USB3.1, SK Hynix SL308 240GB, WD Green 2TB, Hynix 1333 8GB (4x2), XFX Core Pro 850w, NH-U12S, 4x NF-F12's, Sennheiser HD 558's, Blue Yeti, Corsair K70 (red), Logitech MX Master, XBox One Controller, ASUS VG248QE 144Hz, HP 2010i

turn down settings like resolution, texture quality and especially msaa

But before you go sacrificing anything, I would check if that is actually the issue.  Set up a program like afterburner to log vram usage and next time this happens, check it.  If it's nowhere near the max, that wasn't the issue.

yeah but the thing is i cant even turn on my computer when the graphics card is installed

I had this before.

Nah - that just forced the app to close

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

yeah but the thing is i cant even turn on my computer when the graphics card is installed

Oh, then vram usage is definitely not the issue.  That is 99.999% likely a hardware issue.

Oh, then vram usage is definitely not the issue.  That is 99.999% likely a hardware issue.

ok im gonna install my card on different computer and also try different cables. Its late nigth so i will have feedback tomorrow. Thnx for your help.

Nah - that just forced the app to close

what? vram overload? or his problem?

VRAM overload causes your drivers to crash and your computer will become unresponsive and the screen with stripe with gray. I know this because I've had this problem.

Spoiler

what? vram overload? or his problem?

VRAM overload causes your drivers to crash and your computer will become unresponsive and the screen with stripe with gray. I know this because I've had this problem.

I overloaded my VRAM - TitanFall simply closed itself. Nothing like what you're describing.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

I overloaded my VRAM - TitanFall simply closed itself. Nothing like what you're describing.

Then that's a hardware protection measure. Some games have hardcode to shut down when they exceed vRAM

Spoiler

Then that's a hardware protection measure. Some games have hardcode to shut down when they exceed vRAM

I also managed to do it via Witcher 3 - same - just closed itself. No crashing or anything - stuttering yes, but nothing like you're describing.

So my graphics card worked in another computer and another graphics card worked in my computer. I tried an hdmi cable which didnt work and i tried using the second pci slot which worked once but then it stopped working again. I think it might be a pci slot problem so i will go clean them when i can and try again.

So my graphics card worked in another computer and another graphics card worked in my computer. I tried an hdmi cable which didnt work and i tried using the second pci slot which worked once but then it stopped working again. I think it might be a pci slot problem so i will go clean them when i can and try again.

These are the most frustrating situations because it means that all components in the mix are actually fine, it's just certain combinations that cause issues.  Let us know how the cleaning goes and then we can try something else.  At least this has been narrowed down a lot (I think).

These are the most frustrating situations because it means that all components in the mix are actually fine, it's just certain combinations that cause issues.  Let us know how the cleaning goes and then we can try something else.  At least this has been narrowed down a lot (I think).

So I reinstalled windows on my computer and the graphics card didnt work at the beginning then i pressed the clr CMOS button on my motherboard ( dont ask why i dont even know what it does) and it seemed to fix it. It worked normally until i installed the drivers and then it started doing the same thing after i restarted my computer.