Ethernet Gaming Port Forwarding?

harvey0100

hi i have just changed to wired because i make a lot of pc gaming servers i have had enough of port forwarding so i recently have just connected this to the router im using a wnr2000

with my ethernet cable in it and 1 connecting it to the modem seperate unit not built in router/ but people cant join my servers i thought ethernet you dont have to port forward?

Intel Pentium G3420, Palit 650ti boost oc, 8GB Mushkin Radioactive 997005, 1TB Hitatchi Hard Drive, Windows 8 Pro 64bit  

You still need to port forward because you are using NAT, you wouldn't have to if you were connected directly to the modem however i would not recommend this. 

Windows can only use 1 connection at a time, connecting directly to your modem will not work unless you are not connected to your router.

The is however is not recommended because you won't be behind a firewall.

Just to clarify, is you set up like so: Modem>Router/WirlessAP?

It will not matter what way you connect to your router, you will still need to port forward. This is because your router is performing NAT to pass information between your internal network to your ISP. If you really are sick of port forwarding you could set up your computer to be the DMZ. This means ALL ports from your router will be forwarded to you pc. This can pose security risks however so ensure you have a firewall configured on your pc.

| Cpu: Intel i5- 3570K | Ram: Corsair DDR3 8GB | Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 | 

| GFX Card: AMD Sapphire HD7970 3GB GHz Edition | Case: Corsair Carbide 500R |

Google is your friend

• 1 year later...

If your router or dsl modem has an "uplink" ethernet port, you should try using that port.  Also, what I used to successfully port forward to my desktop was to use the DMZ hosting in the router settings, to send all unsolicited inbound traffic to my desktop.  I know that it is likely dangerous to do, but I have security measures in the router and on the computer itself.