Old system wont boot with SSD

DarkN3ss
Go to solution Solved by DarkN3ss,

So installing it directly on the PC fixed the issue

Hello so I got a SSD for my old system, its a Samsung 850 EVO 250gb and I plugged it into my current computer to install the OS and get everything copied onto it. Once I finished I put it into the old system where it was going to live and I couldn't get it to boot.
Here is a quick video showing whats happening

So after it didn't boot, I wanted to make sure nothing was corrupt so I tried it in 2 other PC's and a laptop and it all worked fine, then when I put it back into the old PC it still wouldn't boot (stuck on the blinking underscore)

I then flashed the BIOS to the latest version but that didn't help or make a difference.

I have got it set to AHCI in the bios, but there are a bunch of other setting I am not sure about so I let them all on auto. I have seen someone use this mobo with a SSD

Proof here (Not my video)
https://youtu.be/NFtqcDlfFXA?t=4s

Oh yeah and the motherboard I am using is: ASUS P5WD2 premium on BIOS 0806

Any help getting this up and going would be great :D

Hello so I got a SSD for my old system, its a Samsung 850 EVO 250gb and I plugged it into my current computer to install the OS and get everything copied onto it. Once I finished I put it into the old system where it was going to live and I couldn't get it to boot.

Here is a quick video showing whats happening

So after it didn't boot, I wanted to make sure nothing was corrupt so I tried it in 2 other PC's and a laptop and it all worked fine, then when I put it back into the old PC it still wouldn't boot (stuck on the blinking underscore)

I then flashed the BIOS to the latest version but that didn't help or make a difference.

I have got it set to AHCI in the bios, but there are a bunch of other setting I am not sure about so I let them all on auto. I have seen someone use this mobo with a SSD

Proof here (Not my video)

https://youtu.be/NFtqcDlfFXA?t=4s

Oh yeah and the motherboard I am using is: ASUS P5WD2 premium on BIOS 0806

Any help getting this up and going would be great :D

did you install the OS before putting it in the pc?..if so..thats not how you do it

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

did you install the OS before putting it in the pc?..if so..thats not how you do it

yeah I did, but like I said, when I tested this drive on 4 other computers, it worked. When I put it back into this old computer it didnt

yeah I did, but like I said, it worked on a total of 4 other computers except this one

yea well thats not how you do it

make a bootable usb with the os or burn a dvd with the os and install

yea well thats not how you do it

make a bootable usb with the os or burn a dvd with the os and install

can you explain why installing it on the old PC will make it work? and why it has worked on the other computers I have tried it on?

can you explain why installing it on the old PC will make it work?

proper boot sectors are applies and proper formating

Id actually be surprised if the ssd booted on other systems without crashing or weird problems

proper boot sectors are applies and proper formating

Id actually be surprised if the ssd booted on other systems without crashing or weird problems

that shouldn't make a difference should it? since the only thing that is changing is the hardware around it, nothing is changing on the actual SSD

that shouldn't make a difference should it? since the only thing that is changing is the hardware around it, nothing is changing on the actual SSD

theres a ton of changes

its not like one os installed isn't different from another os installed on a different system

they aren't exactly the same

Which motherboard is that? Possible UEFI compatibility problem? Did you install a 32-bit OS? I would try installing the OS from this PC.

blackshades on

Which motherboard is that? Possible UEFI compatibility problem? Did you install a 32-bit OS? I would try installing the OS from this PC.

The motherboard is a ASUS P5WD2 premium which is not UEFI. The computer I originally installed the OS on is UEFI could that be the problem?

The motherboard is a ASUS P5WD2 premium which is not UEFI. The computer I originally installed the OS on is UEFI could that be the problem?

pretty much

but not the only problem

pretty much

but not the only problem

Ok I will reinstall now and let you know how I got on

Yep that is most-likely the issue.

blackshades on