290x is the only card my PC can run

_jimmyrustler_

I had a 290x in my PC for around a year before getting a 970, I'd keep getting this issue where screen tearing would only occur mainly in the bottom half of my screen and I'd get really low benchmark scores. I went through 3 970's convinced it was a GPU issue. But nothing worked so I threw the 290x back in the PC. I thought it must of been an NVidia specific issue, so I recently decided to upgrade to an R9 Fury, but to my surprise, it had the exact same issue. I've ran DDU so many times now, I have the latest drivers, I also used diskpart to completely erase all of my drives and nothing seems to fix this bug. An R9 290x is the only card that I can but in my PC that won't have this issue(I've had 2 different ones, no issues). Any help would be appreciated. I am getting a score of 1330 on the Heaven Benchmark on my fury, and I have a screenshot of Heaven on my 290x. 

2573tbt.jpg

Specs:

Intel Core i5 4690k 4.5ghz 

Sapphire Tri-X R9 Fury 

MSI Z97 Gaming 5 

16gb Corsair Vengeance LP 2x8 

EVGA 750w G2 80+ Gold 

1TB WB Blue HDD 

120GB Kingston SSD  

What version of windows?

Intel Core i7-6700k | 2 X Gigabyte 4GB GTX 970 Overclocked Edition | 16GB (4X4GB) DDR4 2133MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum | MasterCase Pro 5

ASUS Z170 Deluxe Motherboard | 256GB Samsung 840 Pro + Seagate 2TB Storage | Corsair Hydro H80i GT | Windows 10 Pro 64bit | Corsair HX850i

So you've already ruled out its not a display issue or even an input issue? 

I had the same issue before, except Vise Versa, I completely reinstalled windows and that is the only way mine worked.

CPU: I5-7600k(5.1GHz)                                                       RAM: Corsair Vengeance LED(2x8GB @ 3200MHz/CAS-15)              Case: Cooler Master HAF 912

Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO                                                      Storage: 850 EVO 250GB - 2x(1TB WD Blue(Raid 0))                                   PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750W B2

Mobo: ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO                                       GPU: G1 GTX 970                                                                                                  OS: Windows 10

So what I suspect the issue is here is that your 290x likely bent your pcie slot- or something- i know it sounds weird, but basically your 290x maybe the only thing that fits that exact shape because its what caused it-. Improper contact with the pins in a pcie slot will cause weird effects like tearing....

THIS IS COMPLETE SPECULATION

What version of windows?

Windows 10 64-bit

So you've already ruled out its not a display issue or even an input issue? 

I've tried 2 different monitors on 2 different inputs 

I had the same issue before, except Vise Versa, I completely reinstalled windows and that is the only way mine worked.

I've tried reinstalling windows already a few times 

So what I suspect the issue is here is that your 290x likely bent your pcie slot- or something- i know it sounds weird, but basically your 290x maybe the only thing that fits that exact shape because its what caused it-. Improper contact with the pins in a pcie slot will cause weird effects like tearing....

THIS IS COMPLETE SPECULATION

I thought that I could of had a motherboard issue when I had my z97 sli krait edition, which lead me to buy the gaming 5. But it didn't fix it 

I've tried reinstalling windows already a few times 

That was going to be my suggestion. Hmm.....

Intel Core i7-6700k | 2 X Gigabyte 4GB GTX 970 Overclocked Edition | 16GB (4X4GB) DDR4 2133MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum | MasterCase Pro 5

ASUS Z170 Deluxe Motherboard | 256GB Samsung 840 Pro + Seagate 2TB Storage | Corsair Hydro H80i GT | Windows 10 Pro 64bit | Corsair HX850i

I don't know then.. I had a GTX 660ti and I bought a R9 290X and it ran worse than my previous 660, then I reinstalled windows and it was fine.

CPU: I5-7600k(5.1GHz)                                                       RAM: Corsair Vengeance LED(2x8GB @ 3200MHz/CAS-15)              Case: Cooler Master HAF 912

Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO                                                      Storage: 850 EVO 250GB - 2x(1TB WD Blue(Raid 0))                                   PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750W B2

Mobo: ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO                                       GPU: G1 GTX 970                                                                                                  OS: Windows 10

We need a Linus!

But seriously- see if issue still happens when you run on the intel hd graphics card thats built in- It could be cpu.

I'd check memory if I could- one difference I see here is that 290x has 8GB vram- it could be that the other cards- for what reason IDK be using ramspace for swap... that the 290 isnt??

Mobo WAS the big one... WAIT A MINUTE- check your psu- it could be that the particular construction of your 290x has better phase power and filtration and stuff- if your PSU is on the fritz, you'd have these issues- MOBOs have pretty okish power protection- but the gpus may be more sensitive. That would explain why only ONE card really works.

So PSU I choose YOU!

We need a Linus!

But seriously- see if issue still happens when you run on the intel hd graphics card thats built in- It could be cpu.

I'd check memory if I could- one difference I see here is that 290x has 8GB vram- it could be that the other cards- for what reason IDK be using ramspace for swap... that the 290 isnt??

Mobo WAS the big one... WAIT A MINUTE- check your psu- it could be that the particular construction of your 290x has better phase power and filtration and stuff- if your PSU is on the fritz, you'd have these issues- MOBOs have pretty okish power protection- but the gpus may be more sensitive. That would explain why only ONE card really works.

So PSU I choose YOU!

I had the same issue with my old PSU which was a CX750m, the G2 is a new upgrade, I've also tried replacing my ram twice :( We need a linus. I also had an 8350 before my i5 and it has the exact same issue 

Isn't screen tearing a normal thing when the video card outputs a frame rate higher than the monitors spec?  

Have you tested with a different monitor?

I had the same issue with my old PSU which was a CX750m, the G2 is a new upgrade, I've also tried replacing my ram twice :( We need a linus. I also had an 8350 before my i5 and it has the exact same issue 

OK wait- thats craaazy.... I think at this point we can say its not hardware- or at least suppose for a second-

That leaves environmental- too humid? hows the power- surge protector isnt any good if the power isnt conditioned- you might wanna borrow a UPS

dust? (shouldnt be) Electromagnetic interference? vibration? Can you think of anything? You basically said youve changed every single part.. so...

OK wait- thats craaazy.... I think at this point we can say its not hardware- or at least suppose for a second-

That leaves environmental- too humid? hows the power- surge protector isnt any good if the power isnt conditioned- you might wanna borrow a UPS

dust? (shouldnt be) Electromagnetic interference? vibration? Can you think of anything? You basically said youve changed every single part.. so...

The only things I haven't changed are my case and one of my HDD's, but I completely formatted that HDD (WD Blue drive) with diskpart. 

Isn't screen tearing a normal thing when the video card outputs a frame rate higher than the monitors spec?  

Have you tested with a different monitor?

Yeah definitely, I get screen tearing on my 290x, the bug I get is that I'll only get screen tearing in the bottom left half of my monitor on every other card. I've tried 2 different monitors.

Yeah definitely, I get screen tearing on my 290x, the bug I get is that I'll only get screen tearing in the bottom left half of my monitor on every other card. I've tried 2 different monitors.

Same monitor cable? 

What about a different kind of cable? (hdmi instead of dvi, vice versa)

Same monitor cable? 

DVI and HDMI, have tried different HDMI cords 

The only things I haven't changed are my case and one of my HDD's, but I completely formatted that HDD (WD Blue drive) with diskpart. 

Ok we are hunting gremlins- 

try removing case fans- just turning them off, if one is too close to the gpu and bad it could be causing an EM field- try moving the computer to another room. OOh case could be shorting something on the motherboard- but if you used proper standoffs- didnt use too much pressure mounting the cpu cooler etc etc basic linus stuff... you should be fine

Same monitor cable? 

dude he tried "two different monitors and two different inputs" please read the previous stuff

Wait when you say your are experiencing tearing- is that IN APPLICATION or just on the desktop...

You're using v-sync?

Dude, eat me. Please punctuate. 

Very well. However, seeing as I am on my mobile device with an anemic screen, I am having difficulty using all of the proper punctuation. Therefore, I shall continue to help people and ignore the grammar n as long as my text is potentially helpful.

Wait when you say your are experiencing tearing- is that IN APPLICATION or just on the desktop...

You're using v-sync?

It's all in application, and whether I use it or not depends on the game 

It's all in application, and whether I use it or not depends on the game 

does using v sync help?

also use gpu-z and press the questionmark thing next to link speed/ state and see if it actually goes to pcie 3.0 x16 or is at that right now

edit- next to "BUS INTERFACE"

does using v sync help?

also use gpu-z and press the questionmark thing next to link speed/ state and see if it actually goes to pcie 3.0 x16 or is at that right now

edit- next to "BUS INTERFACE"

It's currently at that, v-sync works for me like it does everyone else I guess. It can smooth things up in some games, but the gpu still under performs