Is my brand new Gigabyte G1 gaming GTX970 a lemon (no, it's geat. I had power saving enabled in Windows 10 and the CPU was throttling the results)

d510r9
Go to solution Solved by Majestic,

That combined score is really weak.

Go to the Nvidia control panel, manage 3D settings, and change the "Power management mode" to Prefer maximum performance, and see if that makes a difference. Also at around 60-70% fan speeds the card starts to get noisy (aka the loudest part of my rig) if mine is anything to go by

No, the GPU score is fine. The Combined score is weak.

CPU score is weak as hell for a 4790K. I think something is wrong with that. Make sure it's running at the correct clockspeed, i think it's throttling.

Yeah, but you don't want to use High performance 24/7, as it stops the chip from clocking back down during idle. Balanced is what you want, that still gives you max boost but also power saving options.

Yeah, it was either power saving features or disabled speedstepping. It's pretty amazing though what you can achieve with a haswell chip running 1ghz xD

awesome, thanks for that. Changed it to balanced.

I think it was even less than that (800 MHz, not even 1.21 gigawatts)

CPU: i7-4790K 4.0GHz Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SOC ATX LGA1150 RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury White (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming PSU: Corsair RM 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SSD Case: NZXT H440