Quad-channel RAM?

Go to solution Solved by zzenigmaxzz,

yes you can put another dual channel kit in but it wouldnt be quad channel

quad channel ram are specific kits and has to be supported by your mobo

Just a bit of a noob question, right now I have 2x4GB RAM setup. I was looking at maybe getting 16GB. If my motherboard has 4 slots but says "dual channel" on the website would I be able to grab another 2x4GB kit (that's dual channel) and plug it in to get 16GB? or would it not work/be slower?

motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-D3P 

AMD FX-8320 | Hyper 212 Evo | Gigabyte 970A-D3P | EVGA SSC 970 | Corsair 200R | Ducky 9087 Shine 2

Just a bit of a noob question, right now I have 2x4GB RAM setup. I was looking at maybe getting 16GB. If my motherboard has 4 slots but says "dual channel" on the website would I be able to grab another 2x4GB kit (that's dual channel) and plug it in to get 16GB? or would it not work/be slower?

motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-D3P 

Dual channel just means it can benefit from having two sticks instead of one.  Adding more memory will work, and will add capacity, but to get higher speed from it you would need quad channel

Think of it like having 2 drives in RAID0, and now you want to swap those out for drives of double the capacity.  If you had quad channel, adding more memory would be like adding two more drives of the same capacity to the RAID0 setup

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Yeah, sure. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

yes you can put another dual channel kit in but it wouldnt be quad channel

quad channel ram are specific kits and has to be supported by your mobo

CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.6 ghz  Motherboard: Asus z170-a  Cooling: Corsair h80i GT GPU: EVGA GTX 970  Ram: G.Skill 2x8 gb ddr4 2400  PSU: EVGA G2 Supernova 550w  Case: Corsair 200r Storage: 250GB 850 EVO + 2x wd 1 tb drives

...and has to be supported by your mobo

and CPU

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Awesome, thanks for all the replies guys. Appreciate it!

AMD FX-8320 | Hyper 212 Evo | Gigabyte 970A-D3P | EVGA SSC 970 | Corsair 200R | Ducky 9087 Shine 2