"Splitting" the GPU power across

Hello.

I have kind of a weird question, but maybe someone know if it's possible.

I got 2x R9 295x2 totaling 4x GPU cores. What I wanna do is dedicate 2 GPU cores for Folding and use 2 GPU cores for gaming.
Does anyone know if it's possible to "split" the GPUs so with Crossfire enabled it only uses GPU0 and GPU1 for gaming so I can use GPU2 and GPU3 for folding in the background?

For folding it's only using GPU2 and GPU3.
But for gaming with Crossfire enabled it uses all GPUs.

I'm not that great at programming, but if that's what it takes I can always learn.

Hello.

I have kind of a weird question, but maybe someone know if it's possible.

I got 2x R9 295x2 totaling 4x GPU cores. What I wanna do is dedicate 2 GPU cores for Folding and use 2 GPU cores for gaming.

Does anyone know if it's possible to "split" the GPUs so with Crossfire enabled it only uses GPU0 and GPU1 for gaming so I can use GPU2 and GPU3 for folding in the background?

For folding it's only using GPU2 and GPU3.

But for gaming with Crossfire enabled it uses all GPUs.

I'm not that great at programming, but if that's what it takes I can always learn.

Considering that you can fold with only your CPU, and using your GPU is optional, I am sure that you can make it so it folds with specific GPUs. Nice setup btw, and always follow your own topics so I don't have to quote you.

so.. i'm gonna start by saying i have no idea what i'm talking about here...

but i'm guessing it would be possible to disable crossfire between the two cards (i heard somewhere you cant disable crossfire between the two GPUs on one card tho)

then use the top most card for gaming (have your display hooked up to it)

and set up your folding client of choice to use the other card.

--

question for people who know about multi-gpu & folding: how far away from reality is my idea?

Yea, I have already set it up so I fold with GPU2 and GPU3.

The problem I'm having is when I'm gaming I only wanna use GPU0 and GPU1, not all of them.

Sorry about that, following now.

Oh I get what you mean, I thought you wanted to fold on specific GPUs. I think you can choose specific chips the game can use in the AMD Control Panel. I would look for it but I have a single 290. I know that Nvidia cards let you only use as single chip if you choose to.

Edit: Or as @manikyath said, disable Crossfire. That should do the trick, just tell the control panel to use the first card to run games and choose the second card in folding.

Oh I get what you mean, I thought you wanted to fold on specific GPUs. I think you can choose specific chips the game can use in the AMD Control Panel. I would look for it but I have a single 290. I know that Nvidia cards let you only use as single chip if you choose to.

Edit: Or as @manikyath said, disable Crossfire. That should do the trick, just tell the control panel to use the first card to run games and choose the second card in folding.

off the top of my head, even if you disable crossfire, the GPUs on the cards stay crossfired with each other.

i think luke mentioned it on the WAN show, and it being an issue when livestreaming.

HOLY FUCKING JESUS! This guy has two 295x2s! What the hell are you using to power that thing?

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

off the top of my head, even if you disable crossfire, the GPUs on the cards stay crossfired with each other.

i think luke mentioned it on the WAN show, and it being an issue when livestreaming.

Yes, it only disables Crossfire between the physical cards. He couldn't run the game because even when he 'disabled' Crossfire, they were still in Crossfire on the card and crashed the game.

HOLY FUCKING JESUS! This guy has two 295x2s! What the hell are you using to power that thing?

He's using a 400W PSU like me.

He's using a 400W PSU like me.

400 watt for two 295x2 cards...

that sounds like a house fire waiting to happen...

400 watt for two 295x2 cards...

that sounds like a house fire waiting to happen...

Just a joke, I;m surprised my 290 hasn't done exactly what you just said though, although it does scream sometimes.

I have already tried disabling Crossfire, it doesen't work, it just shuts down one of the GPUs, they have AMDs ZeroCore, it simply shuts off GPU1 and utilizes GPU0 only.

And if your curious I can make a build log of my system, it's not exactly finished, but I got the major stuff done, only got some modding on the case left.
And no, a 400w power supply is out of the question.. lol

I got a Corsair AX1500i, and I can't go balls to the walls out on overclocking, need to limit myself to +30% power limit so I don't go over 1500w. In Dragon Age Inquisition I draw 1420w from the wall on power spikes.