i5 6600k Overclocking Help

Hey there,i recently bought a new rig with i5 6600k, asus z170 pro gaming and gskill ripjaws 4 ddr4 2400mhz.

I have been running my i5 at 4.4 ghz with 1.275v core stable for a month now it passed 8 hours in realbench with max 78c (hyper 212 evo).In gaming i usually get max 45-50c on normal load and 60-65c after heavy gaming for a while. (hot country around 30 degrees room temperature)

I tried 4.6 ghz on 1.325v it booted but failed immediately when i opened the stress test. Since i didnt want to push the vcore too much i settled with 4.4 but now that i see people saying that skylake has much higher voltage than haswell and hitting even 1.4 etc i was thinking to go 1.35-1.375.

Do you think i can make it higher? Would it be safe in terms of thermal and longevity? Id rather have it stay at 4.4 than make it risky.But if i can make it i want to.

Any help is appreciated thanks.

Hey there,i recently bought a new rig with i5 6600k, asus z170 pro gaming and gskill ripjaws 4 ddr4 2400mhz.

I have been running my i5 at 4.4 ghz with 1.275v core stable for a month now it passed 8 hours in realbench with max 78c (hyper 212 evo).In gaming i usually get max 45-50c on normal load and 60-65c after heavy gaming for a while. (hot country around 30 degrees room temperature)

I tried 4.6 ghz on 1.325v it booted but failed immediately when i opened the stress test. Since i didnt want to push the vcore too much i settled with 4.4 but now that i see people saying that skylake has much higher voltage than haswell and hitting even 1.4 etc i was thinking to go 1.35-1.375.

Do you think i can make it higher? Would it be safe in terms of thermal and longevity? Id rather have it stay at 4.4 than make it risky.But if i can make it i want to.

Depends on your cooler. 1.41 should be the maximum @ 4.6-4.7 GHz.

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

This will be a mixture of your CPU/Board and cooling..

If the board can handle more it can handle more, if your CPU can even get up that high... is another thing.. silicon lottery.

REDLINECore i7 6700k 4.8ghz 1.37v.Noctua NH-u12s.MSI Z170A Gaming M7.16GB Kingston Hyper X Fury Black.MSI Gaming R9 390 8GB Crossfire + GTX 780 PhysX.Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD.Fractal Design Define R5 Midi Black.SeaSonic X Series 1050w Gold.Logitech G302 Deadalus Prime.Ducky DK2108 Zero Mech Cherry Blue.

Uh.... 4.5ghz at 1.325v maybe? Start with that before aiming for 4.6ghz

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

Its hyper 212 evo 

I suggest investing in a Noctua NH-U12s minimum or a NH-D14/15, or even one of the large Phanteks, it took me 1.37v to get 4.8ghz stable.

REDLINECore i7 6700k 4.8ghz 1.37v.Noctua NH-u12s.MSI Z170A Gaming M7.16GB Kingston Hyper X Fury Black.MSI Gaming R9 390 8GB Crossfire + GTX 780 PhysX.Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD.Fractal Design Define R5 Midi Black.SeaSonic X Series 1050w Gold.Logitech G302 Deadalus Prime.Ducky DK2108 Zero Mech Cherry Blue.

Sometime you win, other times you dont, its the silicon lottery in play

Any form of overclocking that is outside of the default manufacturing setting can degrade the longevity of the chip.

The best form of overclocking is to get the highest speed with the smallest amount of energy used.

No point having a highly tuned cpu when its consuming too much power and produce more heat, and the bill goes up too.

There are a spreedsheet of submitted OC performance for all kinds of CPU, you may want to compare it to yours and use that as a reference,

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-J6zv8iuJggx4mSFYLqqCdlkJ8u6a2utA4JyeBSYbmI/edit#gid=0

Edit : just realised theres no 6600k submission yet. Bugger

Intel i5-3570k @ 4.2Ghz, CoolerMaster Seidon 240m + Dual Corsair SP120 Silent Edition, Asus Strix GTX980, Corsair Dominator DDR3 C9 1600mhz 16GB kit, Samsung SSD 840 series 250Gb, WD 4TB HDD. Casing : Corsair Obsidian 250D, Astro A50 Gaming headset, Blue Yeti Microphone.

Uh.... 4.5ghz at 1.325v maybe? Start with that before aiming for 4.6ghz

i did try 4.5 ghz with 1.325 the temps were a bit higher but it worked, then i found it unnecessary to push the voltage and temperature that much just for 0.1 ghz so went back to 4.4.

I suggest investing in a Noctua NH-U12s minimum or a NH-D14/15, or even one of the large Phanteks, it took me 1.37v to get 4.8ghz stable.

well thats not an option for me at the moment since i spent all the money i had and will keep spending for new games etc. will stick with air cooling. 

Sometime you win, other times you dont, its the silicon lottery in play

Any form of overclocking that is outside of the default manufacturing setting can degrade the longevity of the chip.

The best form of overclocking is to get the highest speed with the smallest amount of energy used.

No point having a highly tuned cpu when its consuming too much power and produce more heat, and the bill goes up too.

There are a spreedsheet of submitted OC performance for all kinds of CPU, you may want to compare it to yours and use that as a reference,

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-J6zv8iuJggx4mSFYLqqCdlkJ8u6a2utA4JyeBSYbmI/edit#gid=0

Edit : just realised theres no 6600k submission yet. Bugger

exactly i checked skylake overclocking threads but everyone shared 6700k ocs so i was a bit confused

i did try 4.5 ghz with 1.325 the temps were a bit higher but it worked, then i found it unnecessary to push the voltage and temperature that much just for 0.1 ghz so went back to 4.4.

well thats not an option for me at the moment since i spent all the money i had and will keep spending for new games etc. will stick with air cooling. 

The coolers i mentioned are all air coolers, just far superior to your Hyper 212, i honestly do not know who recommends these any more, for a good OC they come to hitting their limit quick.

Well, if you don't want to push voltages to reach 4.5ghz, why would you even care for 4.6? Just stick to your 4.4 and be done with it....

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

The coolers i mentioned are all air coolers, just far superior to your Hyper 212, i honestly do not know who recommends these any more, for a good OC they come to hitting their limit quick.i 

oh i see sorry.well shops in my country have only cooler master and thermaltake air coolers and corsair water coolers. idk since i was a beginner i saw hyper 212 evo being so popular (5 stars at newegg etc) and just bought it.

Well, if you don't want to push voltages to reach 4.5ghz, why would you even care for 4.6? Just stick to your 4.4 and be done with it....

im a beginner in oc so i felt comfortable with 1.275v since its really close to stock voltage got scared a bit with over 1.3v.now im asking if its safe to go over 1.35v for 4.6 sorry if i sounded rude

oh i see sorry.well shops in my country have only cooler master and thermaltake air coolers and corsair water coolers. idk since i was a beginner i saw hyper 212 evo being so popular (5 stars at newegg etc) and just bought it.

im a beginner in oc so i felt comfortable with 1.275v since its really close to stock voltage got scared a bit with over 1.3v.now im asking if its safe to go over 1.35v for 4.6 sorry if i sounded rude

We are not 100% sure, Skylake just launched, we could very well have a horde of chips dying from 1.35v in the beginning of next year. But we believe up to 1.4v is fine on Skylake, and by consequence, 1.35v should be as well. It is a more resilient chip than Haswell, from what intel suggested.

Push the volts. My 6700K needs 1.42v for 4.8ghz

Core I7 5960X / Gigabyte X99 SOC Force / Kingston 16GB DDR4 3000 / EVGA GTX 980 Classified's In Quad SLI / EVGA 1600W G2

Core I7 6700K / Asus Z170 Maximus VIII Hero / Corsair 16GB DDR4 3000 / MSI R9 290X Lightning / EVGA 1600W T2