(help) r9 390's power consumption

MasterP48

hi everyone, i'm planning to get a r9 390 because my current gpu (hd 7750) is getting a little old. i've already eyeballed the power consumption adn checked with like 5 of those online psu calculators and it seems that my psu can handle it.

my parts: 2 sticks of ddr3 ram, 7400rpm and 5400rpm hdd drives, and an i5 3330, oh and also some cheap case fans and minor things; my psu is a corsair cx750.

oh btw i don't have anything overclocked nor i plan to do at least for now, and yes, i know the cpu is probably going to bottleneck the gpu, but i have the money for a gpu now so i'm getting the best one i can afford, later on i'll update mobo+cpu

PS: i didn't know if this belonged to psu forum or gpu forum, so feel free to move it wherever you want

750 is plenty for the R9 390

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

hi everyone, i'm planning to get a r9 390 because my current gpu (hd 7750) is getting a little old. i've already eyeballed the power consumption adn checked with like 5 of those online psu calculators and it seems that my psu can handle it.

my parts: 2 sticks of ddr3 ram, 7400rpm and 5400rpm hdd drives, and an i5 3330, oh and also some cheap case fans and minor things; my psu is a corsair cx750.

oh btw i don't have anything overclocked nor i plan to do at least for now, and yes, i know the cpu is probably going to bottleneck the gpu, but i have the money for a gpu now so i'm getting the best one i can afford, later on i'll update mobo+cpu

PS: i didn't know if this belonged to psu forum or gpu forum, so feel free to move it wherever you want

The CX will be able to handle all those parts.  Just don't try to overclock them.  Replace that PSU ASAP.

i5-4690k@4.5GHz || MSI GTX 970 || MSI z97 Gaming 5 || NZXT Kraken x61 || WD Black 1TB || Crucial MX100 || 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro || Corsair RM750 || NZXT H440 || Corsair k70 RGB mx browns || Acer H236HL || ViewSonic VX2255wm-4

The PSU can handle it wattage wise, but it's not a good unit. 

EDIT: The CX750 (provided it is not the M version), is slightly better than the rest of the CX series, though.

Pretty much this ^

That PSU is not a PSU for heavy workloads. Change it as soon as you can. At least a quality 600W PSU is recommended for the 390.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

That PSU has a temperature tolerance of 30C. Get rid of it if you're going to use that GPU. 550-650W is enough wattage for a 390X.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

EDIT: The CX750 (provided it is not the M version), is slightly better than the rest of the CX series, though.

it's not modular, i decided to have all the cables everywhere just to get that % of extra performace. why do you say the cx is a bad series tho? i have never heard something bad about it and it's been working with no probs since i bought it

it's not modular, i decided to have all the cables everywhere just to get that % of extra performace. why do you say the cx is a bad series tho? i have never heard something bad about it and it's been working with no probs since i bought it

It is only rated to operate correctly up to 30C, which is not hard to get to in a gaming/OC rig. On Corsair's site, they also state it is for basic builds. In generally it's a cheaply made PSU that's suitable for office type PCs, not for high end ones. 

It's not going to blow up or anything, but it's much more likely to die or cause issues than other PSUs in the same price range. And having no issues with it doesn't make it any better. It's something a lot of people seem to argue against something proven to be bad. 

It is only rated to operate correctly up to 30C, which is not hard to get to in a gaming/OC rig. On Corsair's site, they also state it is for basic builds. In generally it's a cheaply made PSU that's suitable for office type PCs, not for high end ones. 

It's not going to blow up or anything, but it's much more likely to die or cause issues than other PSUs in the same price range. And having no issues with it doesn't make it any better. It's something a lot of people seem to argue against something proven to be bad. 

i'm not trying to argue that is good, i just never noticed it was bad lol.

if the only problem that can cause is breaking then i'm sticking with it, i got it cheap so i'll just wait till' it dies and buy a new one

i'm not trying to argue that is good, i just never noticed it was bad lol.

if the only problem that can cause is breaking then i'm sticking with it, i got it cheap so i'll just wait till' it dies and buy a new one

That's not the only issue, it's just the most likely case. It has the potential to catch fire or take out other components when it's drawing a lot of power and gets hot. 

I'd really suggest replacing it for a build like this. Not so much a matter of do it if you can, but rather, you should replace it. 

That's not the only issue, it's just the most likely case. It has the potential to catch fire or take out other components when it's drawing a lot of power and gets hot. 

I'd really suggest replacing it for a build like this. Not so much a matter of do it if you can, but rather, you should replace it. 

you got me on the catching on fire part, that doesn't sound fun hahaha. what psu can you recommend me? (i wasn't really planing on buying aanything, so the cheaper the better, i don't need a 80plus gold, a bronze will do just fine)

you got me on the catching on fire part, that doesn't sound fun hahaha. what psu can you recommend me? (i wasn't really planing on buying aanything, so the cheaper the better, i don't need a 80plus gold, a bronze will do just fine)

EVGA B2 series is good, as well as Antec High Current Gamer. Anything from Seasonic, SuperFlower, Delta or XFX (just SeaSonic rebrands).