Hi!

I have recently built myself a PC with the i7 6700K Skylake processor. I have begun my adventure into overclocking, but have hit a rather confusing roadblock.

I have set my CPU VCore voltage in my BIOS on manual mode, at 1.250 Volts, with a CPU ratio of 44, giving me a 4.4GHz OC. Everything has been left to it's default setting, or auto. However, when I boot into Windows and run CPU-Z and HWMonitor, my voltage when idling is around 0.8 and spikes up to ~1.4 When I run an AIDA64 stress test, the voltage goes up to around 1.45.

I do not want this much voltage as I am afraid that it will deteriorate or kill my CPU. Please let me know how I can keep the voltage at a constant 1.25. I have also lowered the LLC within AISuite 3, but that has only brought the voltage down to 1.420.

My specs are listed below:

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor 
CPU Cooler: Corsair H110i GT 113.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler 
Motherboard: Asus Z170 PRO GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card 
Case: Corsair 450D ATX Mid Tower Case 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply 

Also a little note is that the stock voltage was set to 1.325, and I was seeing if I could undervolt as I thought that the stock voltage was quite high.

Thanks for your help!

Asus boards sometimes do voltage adjustments to the cpu and it can be disabled in the bios somewhere, not sure if that's your problem but it's my best guess

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Asus boards sometimes do voltage adjustments to the cpu and it can be disabled in the bios somewhere, not sure if that's your problem but it's my best guess

What settings in particular? Could you please clarify?

Try using intel xtu and see if your voltage still spikes. I read something about certain stress test programs pull more voltage than others. Intel XTU is meant to not do that, well for me it hasn't.

[Case Mod] Operation: The Division --- > Here

[CUSTOM WATER COOLED TABLE] Project: Ravage ---> Here

-== QUOTE ME IN YOUR REPLY IF YOU WANT ME TO RESPOND ==-

What settings in particular? Could you please clarify?

As soon as you get into the bios you push right, which should take you to the advanced tab, there you will enter "jumperfree config" and then scroll down to "CPU overvoltage" and it should be set on auto. just push the + key and it will be taken on auto. Then you use the + and - keys to adjust the voltage in increments of .00625v.  

This is the info I got

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Hi!

I have recently built myself a PC with the i7 6700K Skylake processor. I have begun my adventure into overclocking, but have hit a rather confusing roadblock.

I have set my CPU VCore voltage in my BIOS on manual mode, at 1.250 Volts, with a CPU ratio of 44, giving me a 4.4GHz OC. Everything has been left to it's default setting, or auto. However, when I boot into Windows and run CPU-Z and HWMonitor, my voltage when idling is around 0.8 and spikes up to ~1.4 When I run an AIDA64 stress test, the voltage goes up to around 1.45.

I do not want this much voltage as I am afraid that it will deteriorate or kill my CPU. Please let me know how I can keep the voltage at a constant 1.25. I have also lowered the LLC within AISuite 3, but that has only brought the voltage down to 1.420.

My specs are listed below:

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor 

CPU Cooler: Corsair H110i GT 113.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler 

Motherboard: Asus Z170 PRO GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard 

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card 

Case: Corsair 450D ATX Mid Tower Case 

Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply 

Also a little note is that the stock voltage was set to 1.325, and I was seeing if I could undervolt as I thought that the stock voltage was quite high.

Thanks for your help!

My rog 4 extreme the exact same..  Positive its load line calabration.  Set higher then %100 say 125.  Its 125% the voltage.  Think called load line..  But if look up bios setting youll see.  Need help let me know and ill go through mine again.  But if its just,  Normal high, low, extreme settings.  Just go one over normal.  Trust me..

Try using intel xtu and see if your voltage still spikes. I read something about certain stress test programs pull more voltage than others. Intel XTU is meant to not do that, well for me it hasn't.

Alright, I will try putting the settings in again and using Intel XTU.

As soon as you get into the bios you push right, which should take you to the advanced tab, there you will enter "jumperfree config" and then scroll down to "CPU overvoltage" and it should be set on auto. just push the + key and it will be taken on auto. Then you use the + and - keys to adjust the voltage in increments of .00625v.  

This is the info I got

I will see if my BIOS has these settings, and tinker around with them. 

My rog 4 extreme the exact same..  Positive its load line calabration.  Set higher then %100 say 125.  Its 125% the voltage.  Think called load line..  But if look up bios setting youll see.  Need help let me know and ill go through mine again.  But if its just,  Normal high, low, extreme settings.  Just go one over normal.  Trust me..

In what part of the BIOS is the LLC setting? I cannot find it anywhere! If I adjust it in AISuite 3, the voltage still goes over 1.4.

Alright, just a quick update, I've played around with a couple of settings in the BIOS, like the Digi VRM controls. I've set LLC to level 1, and when stressed with Intel XTU, it BSODed. I have set it now to level 3 (It goes from 1-8) with the voltage in the BIOS set at a manual 1.250, but I still get a voltage ~1.4 while stress testing. I am so confused as to why it won't listen to my input. Also, I've noticed in Intel XTU, that the core voltage in this is set to adaptive, and that may be the reason why I'm getting voltages of over 1.4 while under load. When I monitor my voltages while stressing in AISuite 3, it says I'm at 1.232. This has me really puzzled. Hopefully there are more suggestions, and I wish to thank all of you for taking the time to respond :)

This is the info I got

I can't find these settings in my BIOS unfortunately :(

I can't find these settings in my BIOS unfortunately :(

That's all I could find on the subject so your bios must be different which means I don't know how to help unfortunately (it's really too new of a board for me to find info on), you might need to read a full manual on your particular bios, but I don't know where you would find one as motherboard manuals don't always have enough detail on the software, though the setting details in your manual might sufice so look over them carefully, sorry I couldn't help more

That's all I could find on the subject so your bios must be different which means I don't know how to help unfortunately (it's really too new of a board for me to find info on), you might need to read a full manual on your particular bios, but I don't know where you would find one as motherboard manuals don't always have enough detail on the software, though the setting details in your manual might sufice so look over them carefully, sorry I couldn't help more

Yeah this is a particularly new board, some programs don't recognize it. Thanks for your help anyways, I appreciate it!