Wireless AC file transfer speeds

darklord6661

Hey guys,

Just wondering what typical file transfer speeds (MB/s) you are getting out if Wireless AC?

I don't seem to be getting much more than 5MB/s from wireless devices to wired NAS or PC...

Using different routers and much the same. Trying to work out exactly where the bottleneck is.

Cheers

Brandan

There are many factors. Distance from the router, network congestion, signal quality, wireless chipsets, frequency, and how many walls the signal has to punch through to get from router to device. All can and do play a factor. but those aren't all that there are.

Yeah. Just trying to work out if there is a specific issue. PC to PC over gigabit isn't too bad (30MB/s) but i feel that should be faster too.

My mistake, PC to PC is like 100MB/s. My NAS to PC is around 30. Still not sure why wireless AC client to PC is so slow though...

Are you sure you're connected on the 5Ghz band with wireless AC devices on both ends? Good signal and so on? Because you should be getting somewhere closer to around 25MB/s.

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

This is a note 4 device by the way. Supports AC though so it should be good. Don't have any other devices to test other than Nexus Player which has similar speeds...

I have found that with changing out routers, wifi cards, pcs, etc that even with the ac standard that upstream is not very good. Maybe commercial grade stuff is better but it seems consumer grade wifi reserves all its speed for sending data to wireless devices, and ends up hindering the upstream throughput on those devices since almost no one would notice the difference. Here are my results

wifi pc -----> wired pc  ~30mb/s

wifi pc -----> wifi pc     ~15-25mb/s depending on connection quality

wired pc --> wired pc  ~105-110mb/s which is about where my data drives max out

wired pc --> wifi pc      ~70-95mb/s depending on signal strength

These results were with a asus ux 305 laptop, tp-link archer t9e in a desktop, and netgear nighthawk r8000 router which has provided me with the best results out of my test.

Hey Possum,

Thanks for that. Good to see that I'm not the only one.

Thankfully, I didn't invest much money into AC as it was just a new router supplied by ISP so I wasn't expecting great results. I had tried a Linksys AC router before that and had similar issues though.

Getting the Note 5 then so I'll see if it makes a difference. Otherwise, I'll stick to my wired clients for transferring files...