Sennheiser HD558 vs. AKG 612 vs. Beyerdynamic 990?

CC268

Hey guys,

I need to get a good set of gaming headphones and my research has lead me to these three. So far I have the most recommendations going to the Sennheiser's...the AKG and Beyerdynamic would need an amp from what I understand - the Sennheiser's wouldn't. Let me know what you guys think...

I plan on ordering a ModMic as well.

Thanks!

| Intel i5-6600K | NZXT Kraken X61 | MSI GTX 980TI | NZXT Kraken X41 | ASUS MAXIMUS VIII Hero Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3000 16GB | 

|Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Blue 1TB | EVGA SuperNova G2 850W | Fractal Design Define S |

You can't go wrong with the Sennheiser, but the 612 is a better headphone in my view. The 990 offers more bass an treble if that's what tickles your pickle.

It seems that the AKG 612 is maybe the best headphone for under $200, but everyone tells me I would need an amp?

What amp would be best for it? I am not familiar with amping a pair of headphones.

| Intel i5-6600K | NZXT Kraken X61 | MSI GTX 980TI | NZXT Kraken X41 | ASUS MAXIMUS VIII Hero Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3000 16GB | 

|Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Blue 1TB | EVGA SuperNova G2 850W | Fractal Design Define S |

It seems that the AKG 612 is maybe the best headphone for under $200, but everyone tells me I would need an amp?

What amp would be best for it? I am not familiar with amping a pair of headphones.

You would probably need an amp. You could always buy it first and see if you can do without.

For amp, I'd suggest SMSL SD793-II if you have optical out on motherboard, Fiio E10K otherwise. You could also get just an amp (the previous two are amp+DAC) SMSL sap-II.

You can see my motherboard in my signature - I am not sure whether or not I have an optical out? I am pretty sure I am using the Line Out port right now for my Klipsch Pro Media 2.1s though...

You can see my motherboard in my signature - I am not sure whether or not I have an optical out? I am pretty sure I am using the Line Out port right now for my Klipsch Pro Media 2.1s though...

Looks like it does.

Alright cool well it looks like the AKG 612s are the way to go then...and then go with the Fiio maybe