Combining Optical

AustinJ
Go to solution Solved by ShearMe,

Ok I'll see if I can get something like a used modi to use.

I'd go cheaper than that. FiiO D3 is like 30 or 40 bucks

So my interesting setup, I have a linux install that has a windows vm that is used for gaming. The linux install is using on board audio for the output and the windows vm has a pci-e sound card passed through to it. The on board audio has an toslink output and the the sound card has a mini-toslink output. My dac has a toslink input. Basically I am looking to combine these two sources into one so I can supply it to my dac. Is there such a thing?

Main Rig:  CPU i5-4670k   MOBO Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI   GPU GTX 980ti    RAM 8GB  STORAGE 128GB ADATA(OS)/250GB Samsung 850 EVO(APPS)/3TB WD Red

AUDIO: AMP/DAC TEAC AI-301DA SPEAKERS: Cambridge Audio SX50 Phones: Philips Fidelio X1

So my interesting setup, I have a linux install that has a windows vm that is used for gaming. The linux install is using on board audio for the output and the windows vm has a pci-e sound card passed through to it. The on board audio has an toslink output and the the sound card has a mini-toslink output. My dac has a toslink input. Basically I am looking to combine these two sources into one so I can supply it to my dac. Is there such a thing?

Do you need both playing audio at the same time? If yes, you're out of luck. An optical S/PDIF mixer would be prohibitively expensive (ie, optical mixers use non-S/PDIF formats for professional use).

This is a switch, not a mixer, FYI.

Do you need both playing audio at the same time? If yes, you're out of luck. An optical S/PDIF mixer would be prohibitively expensive (ie, optical mixers use non-S/PDIF formats for professional use).

This is a switch, not a mixer, FYI.

I think that I am going to have to buy another dac and combine them to send them to the amp.

I think that I am going to have to buy another dac and combine them to send them to the amp.

That is the proper way to do it.

That is the proper way to do it.

Do the dacs need to have the same impedance for the output? So I have my Schiit Bifrost for my one dac, could I get a cheaper dac to combine with?

Do the dacs need to have the same impedance for the output? So I have my Schiit Bifrost for my one dac, could I get a cheaper dac to combine with?

Impedances won't matter. Cheap DACs are what we mostly recommend around here.

Impedances won't matter. Cheap DACs are what we mostly recommend around here.

Well it is solved now, lol, clicked the wrong button. Yeah I find something, it will just be for the audio for games and such so it doesn't need to be super high quality.