g3258 overclocking problemzz

Ok so I have this new motherboard, it's a Gigabyte h81m-HD2 and it's perfect for my build (g3258 & 960)

I want to overclock my chip but I get an error that is not very usual, I dialed a Lot of dirfferent overclocks, and even when I overclock it to 3.4 I get this error

For cooling,I'm running a Hyper 212 EVO With 2 silencios in push pull, it is not a heat related issue.

SO HERE'S WHAT HAPPENS: The computer posts, the windows logo appears and ...  BLACKOUT

Then I get into Automatic startup repair, and it also crashes while on the logo. 

Hope someone Can help !

Project Mercury : 4460 | EVGA 960 FTW | 8 gb | 650 Watt PSU | 240GB SSD | 3TB HDD | Custom painted Evolv ITX

Download Gigabyte OC Guru, it's a super simple way to OC your CPU, and it should be compatible with your processor. One click and you can be at 4.6Ghz.

Sergeant, United States Marine Corps

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

From a G3258 to dual Xeon E5-2670's

are you on windows 10?

if so, that's the problem. windows 10 doesn't support G3258 overclocking ATM.

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

If overclocked can only boot with 1 core, it's a Windows problem.

but only for windows 10

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

Download Gigabyte OC Guru, it's a super simple way to OC your CPU, and it should be compatible with your processor. One click and you can be at 4.6Ghz.

well if he told us what OS he was using.

If you have an overclocked pentium g3258 and your system is running Windows 10 it will not boot, with 2 overclocked cores. So it's either 1 core enabled overclocked, or stock speed with 2 cores enabled.

are you on windows 10?

if so, that's the problem. windows 10 doesn't support G3258 overclocking ATM.

oh really ! Dammit I liked the new OS, Thanks !

Project Mercury : 4460 | EVGA 960 FTW | 8 gb | 650 Watt PSU | 240GB SSD | 3TB HDD | Custom painted Evolv ITX

If you have an overclocked pentium g3258 and your system is running Windows 10 it will not boot, with 2 overclocked cores. So it's either 1 core enabled overclocked, or stock speed with 2 cores enabled.

yep running windows 10, did not think it could factor in

I used to use the G3258 w/ Windows 8.1 and I was running at a wonderful 4.9Ghz. I upgraded to an i3 in like December of last year.

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

yea, can you still rollback to 8.1?

With DX12 coming on Windows 10 (which will bring CPU performance increases) I don't think going to Windows 8.1 would be beneficial. The stock speed of 3.2Ghz should be fine for most games, that extra clock speed probably won't show a massive improvement in games.

Windows 7 is still good to use and software/hardware actually works on it

^_^

CPU: Intel i7-6700K | MB: Asus Z170-A | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming OC @ GTX 980 Perf. | CASE: Fractal Design Define R5 | COOLER: Coolermaster HYPER 212 EVO |

RAM: 2x4GB DDR4 Kingston HyperX Savage | STORAGE:  Western Digital HDD & Samsung 850 EVO SSD | PSU: Fractal Design Edison M 550W | SCREEN: Dell U2412M 24"

With DX12 coming on Windows 10 (which will bring CPU performance increases) I don't think going to Windows 8.1 would be beneficial. The stock speed of 3.2Ghz should be fine for most games, that extra clock speed probably won't show a massive improvement in games.

but like I said Windows 10 and an overclocked pentium won't work. And I think dual cores with out hyper threading will struggle.

yea, can you still rollback to 8.1?

yeah thinking about rolling back to win 7 until I upgrade, thanks for the infos !

but like I said Windows 10 and an overclocked pentium won't work. And I think dual cores with out hyper threading will struggle.

used to have an asrock z97 anniversary (R.I.P) and I was pulling my hair out over why the hell I could get a nice OC. I even used their Pentium anniversary boost, could not get higer than 3.8, 4.0 would crash after about 30 minutes of load. Thanks for your help !