Removing v9.com virus? :/

Go to solution Solved by GoodBytes,

Simply take your system back in time before the infection with Windows System Restore. Assuming the virus didn't break that too, of course.

So I made a blunder and I've gotten a v9.com browser hijacker virus that I just can't seem to remove properly.

I've tried all sorts of things, which have finally resulted in Chrome being clean (well there are no symptoms), but internet explorer opens in this weird v9 URL no matter what I do. It sort of forces itself to be used as standard page and I don't know what to do to remove it.

I've read guides, downloaded tools that should do the trick, followed the steps here but nothing removes it utterly.

Please help me, I'm lost and really need some help. I have backed up all my personal files, but I hope I won't have to re-install Windows or anything weird as I've no experience in that sort of thing and it seems quite... fierce! :(  Also, it's a laptop running Windows 7 64 bit and I have no Windows install discs.

Malware Bytes Anti-Malware did pic up 6 infected files, but removing them changed nothing.

Please help me

Okay, slight development, but the problem is not fully resolved yet. :/

I managed to reform Internet Explorer from an earlier date. Now, Internet Explorer will open in a normal "Favorite Pages" screen. However, if I go to Internet Settings from within Internet Explorer the "Standard Page" is still set to this weird v9-URL. How do I remove it finally and completely?

Simply take your system back in time before the infection with Windows System Restore. Assuming the virus didn't break that too, of course.

I can't believe I didn't think of that! Well, you learn as long as you live I suppose. :) I used Windows System Restore, the problem is now solved and every trace of anything v9-ish is gone from my system and it's all good. Please GoodBytes, have a virtual cookie and my thanks.  :lol: