Thinking about upgrading HDD to SSD, what about Windows installation?

JorenBus
Go to solution Solved by r1Ns3,

No, you will have to download a copy of the microsoft media creation tool and make a windows 10 boot usb and install it. You won't require any keys and can just skip them and it will activate automatically.

Create Windows 10 USB> Remove HDD> Insert SDD> Boot into the USB> Install Windows.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/media-creation-tool-install

Exactly what I was thinking!

So I have to keep my laptop running while replacing my HDD? lol

Edit: I'm stupid.

So I have to make a bootable USB device with the program, turn off laptop, replace the HDD, then it everything should go fine?

Yes, get a spare USB with some space or a disk if you have a disk dirve and go to the media creation tool and install it by following Benjamin's instructions. Then I think you just plug it into your SSD and make the BIOS boot off the USB, while installing windows off the USB select your SSD as your drive that you want to install windows onto from your USB, then you should be fine!

Basically:

Get Usb > Media creation tool > download windows onto USB > Set USB as boot device in your BIOS (UEFI) and also plug your SSD in > run computer and it will boot off the USB > install windows onto SSD > set SSD as boot device in BIOS (UEFI)

Hope this wasn't too complex! If you don't know how to enter BIOS and change boot devices, there are LOADS of tutorials on the web to help you! Don't rush into things and you will be fine.

Also, no I don't think you have your computer on while installing the SSD xD

Hello all,

Since my school laptop is incerdible slow, I'm thinking about upgrading my HDD to a SSD.

I have Windows 10 installed on it, however, I have no idea how I can keep my license while upgrading.

Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks

CPU: Core i5 4690k                                                   Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97M                     RAM: 16GB HyperX Fury Red                             

GPU: RX 580                                                             Storage: Sandisk Ultra II 240GB                  PSU: Seasonic M12II Evo 520W

Case: NZXT S340 red/black                                      Case lighting: NZXT Hue+                          Mouse: Logitech G502

Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper212 Evo                     Operating system: Windows 10 64-bit

Just clone the HDD to SSD with reflect cloner.

Laptop: Thinkpad W520 i7 2720QM 24GB RAM 1920x1080 2x SSDs Main Rig: 4790k 12GB Hyperx Beast Zotac 980ti AMP! Fractal Define S (window) RM850 Noctua NH-D15 EVGA Z97 FTW with 3 1080P 144hz monitors from Asus Secondary: i5 6600K, R9 390 STRIX, 16GB DDR4, Acer Predator 144Hz 1440P

As Centos 7 SU once said: With great power comes great responsibility.

You could just reinstall windows 10 on the ssd. The windows 10 key is tied with your motherboard. So just install a fresh copy of windows 10 on the ssd.

CPU:Intel Core i3 3210 Mobo:MSI B75MA-E33  GPU:Intel 2500 HD Graphics  SSD:Adata SP600 128gb  HDD:Seagate 1tb 7200rpm  

PSU:Corsair CX430   Case:Antec ASK4000bU3  Monitor:Dell S2240l 21.5 inch 1080p

You could just reinstall windows 10 on the ssd. The windows 10 key is tied with your motherboard. So just install a fresh copy of windows 10 on the ssd.

So I can just remove the HDD, insert SSD, and Windows should prompt me to reinstall Windows 10?

I won't have to do anything besides that? I'm sorry, I'm a noob at this.

CPU: Core i5 4690k                                                   Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97M                     RAM: 16GB HyperX Fury Red                             

GPU: RX 580                                                             Storage: Sandisk Ultra II 240GB                  PSU: Seasonic M12II Evo 520W

Case: NZXT S340 red/black                                      Case lighting: NZXT Hue+                          Mouse: Logitech G502

Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper212 Evo                     Operating system: Windows 10 64-bit

My ssd came with a migration tool did use it since I clean installed and wiped my old drive just saved my important files.

Super OP AF Killer Retro Emulation PC 360 No Scope 420 Blaze It (Sorry I Couldn't Help It) Seriously Though This PC Is Overkill And Before You Ask It Does Play Crysis 1024x768 60 FPS

Intel Core Duo 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz // ASUS P5N-D // Zalman CNPS9500A Air Cooler // 4GB G.Skill @ 400MHz 5 5 5 31 23 // 2 Way SLI GeForce 9800 GTX+ // 32" SONY WEGA CRT TV 480i // Corsair TX750 // Seagate 3TB // Win XP 32Bit // Sony DVD RW // ANTEC Full Tower // Steel Series H Wireless // Logitech K520 Wireless Keyboard // Logitech M510 Wireless Mouse // Logitech G27 Racing Wheel // Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS // HORI Fight Stick Mini // 8Bitdo NES30 Pro / FC30 Pro / SNES30 / SFC30 Bluetooth Controllers

Future Upgrades The New 8Bitdo Wireless SNES Controller With Analog Sticks / 8Bitdo Bluetooth Arcade Fight Stick / Proper HD I Know This Machine Does Not Support 3 TB / Icy Dock 5.25 4 Bay HD Hot Swap Bay For More Seamless Multi Booting Want To Run At Least Win 95, Win XP, Win 7 

i7 3770k @ 4.5Ghz // ASUS Maximus V Formula // CM Hyper 212 EVO // 16GB G.Skill Sniper @ 2133MHz 9 11 10 28 // Crossfire Sapphire 7970 // 42" 4K 60Hz FreeSync WasabiMango IPS // Corsair AX860 // Samsung 1TB 840EVO // Seagate 3TB // Seagate Barracuda 160GB sata II // OCZ Vertex 3 90GB sata III // Win 10 64Bit // ASUS DVD RW // 2 Corsair AF 120 // 2 Corsair SP 120 // 2 xigmatek 120 // Corsair 760t white flavor // NZXT HUE+ RGB Controller // Sennheiser G4me Zero // Steel Series H // Corsair M95 // Corsair K95 // 3 Xbox 360 Controllers // Dolphin Bar // Wii U Mote // Leap Motion Plus // Logitech G27 Racing Wheel // Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS // HORI Fight Stick Mini // 8Bitdo NES30 Pro / FC30 Pro / SNES30 / SFC30 Bluetooth Controllers

Future Upgrades 1080Ti or Vega RX64 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/16900-nothing-special/

So I can just remove the HDD, insert SSD, and Windows should prompt me to reinstall Windows 10?

No, you will have to download a copy of the microsoft media creation tool and make a windows 10 boot usb and install it. You won't require any keys and can just skip them and it will activate automatically.

Create Windows 10 USB> Remove HDD> Insert SDD> Boot into the USB> Install Windows.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/media-creation-tool-install  Download the tool and while on the page click on "if you chose to create installation media" and then click on "How to perform a clean installation of Windows" and follow the instructions.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5800X GPU: Nvidia RTX 3080 12GB + Motherboard: Asus Crosshair VIII Hero

Case: Asus ROG Strix Helios Gundam Edition Power Supply: Asus ROG Thor 850P

As Benjamin stated, when doing a fresh install on a system that "WAS" running the upgrade it will ask you for a serial twice. Once at the start and once after you finish the install.

Simply Skip that part, there will be a button the first time it asks you saying skip. The second time it asks you(After Install Is finished) just click the ask me later button.

I have done a fresh install on all 6 of my PC's with no problems.

So I have to make a bootable USB device with the program, turn off laptop, replace the HDD, then it everything should go fine?

No, turn it off lol.

Edit: Yes, exactly!

When you turn on the laptop it should tell you a button to press to get into advanced boot options where you can select your USB.

No, turn it off lol.

Edit: Yes, exactly!

When you turn on the laptop it should tell you a button to press to get into advanced boot options where you can select your USB.

Alright, not too complicated then.

Thanks for the help!

Exactly what I was thinking!

Yes, get a spare USB with some space or a disk if you have a disk dirve and go to the media creation tool and install it by following Benjamin's instructions. Then I think you just plug it into your SSD and make the BIOS boot off the USB, while installing windows off the USB select your SSD as your drive that you want to install windows onto from your USB, then you should be fine!

Basically:

Get Usb > Media creation tool > download windows onto USB > Set USB as boot device in your BIOS (UEFI) and also plug your SSD in > run computer and it will boot off the USB > install windows onto SSD > set SSD as boot device in BIOS (UEFI)

Hope this wasn't too complex! If you don't know how to enter BIOS and change boot devices, there are LOADS of tutorials on the web to help you! Don't rush into things and you will be fine.

Also, no I don't think you have your computer on while installing the SSD xD

Spoiler

CPU: i7-6700K 4.7GHz GPU: GTX 980 STRIX 1337MHz CPU Cooler: H110i GTX AIO |

Motherboard: Asus Z170-AR | Case: NZXT H440 White PSU: CS750W |

PCPartPicker Link: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/43BkVn