No video signal after mobo splash screen, new build

So after almost a whole month and a half, all the parts for my first build arrived yesterday. I built it, installed OS and today I started setting it up.

Everything was going fine, until I downloaded and installed the first batch of Win10 updates.

THE PROBLEM

The PC restarted, reached the motherboard splash screen and after that nothing. "No video signal".

Even the debug led on my mobo lights up for a second, indicating a GPU failure or missing.

ATTEMPTED TROUBLESHOOTING

* Tried restarting a few times, no difference.

* I connected the screen to the mobo DVI port and no luck. I don't get anything at all from there.

* Disconnected and reconnected power supply from the mains, and the 6+2pin from the GPU

Needless to say I am very disappointed right now.

SETUP

* CPU: Intel i5 6600k

* Mobo: MSI KRAIT Gaming z170

* Memory: 2x8gb hyperx ddr4 @2400Mhz

* GPU: EVGA GTX950 FTW

* PSU: Corsair CX600M @600W

* SSD: SAMSUNG evo 120gb

* HDD: 2x(1TB WD Blue, 7200rpm) on RAID1

* No overclocking of any kind

Every part on my computer is brand new, except for the PSU, which is a couple years old, with which I had replaced the PSU of my old 6-7 year old PC when its old PSU died.

SOME FACTS

During its final days, my old pc, which was otherwise pretty functional, alas old, started having the same problem: I would turn it on and "no video signal". Using the same Corsair PSU. Only difference is that it would not even show the boot screen, iirc.

Since the whole rig but the Corsair PSU was old, I assumed something else crapped out, and it was a good enough reason to make me buy a new PC, after all these years, without getting into the trouble of in investigating any further; it was a pretty old PC anyway.

Just to be sure, when I removed the Corsair PSU from the old PC, I took a multimeter and checked its voltages, which were fine. I just retested the voltages on the 6+2pin power of the GPU, and they give ~12V

So, please give me some feedback, does this sound like a PSU problem?

I tend to go with yes, but then why did the new PC operate fine up until the update?

Anything else I should do in order to try and pinpoint the issue?

Excuse any typos, writing from a tablet

maybe im wrong, i don't know too much about this thing, but are you sure your pc is getting enough power?

maybe im wrong, i don't know too much about this thing, but are you sure your pc is getting enough power?

Well, it was working fine for a day..

Also, it's not as if I started playing something, making the GPU draw more power and then the system shutting down..

Well, it was working fine for a day..

Also, it's not as if I started playing something, making the GPU draw more power and then the system shutting down..

well idk, cuz lately the smallest power supplies ive seen were 750w, so the 600 kinda surprised me

looks like this is an OS related problem....also your psu has more then enough power.  Does the PC remain on after the screen flashes and are u able to get into bios or possibly boot from your windows disk? Let me know im sure I can help you.

looks like this is an OS related problem....also your psu has more then enough power.  Does the PC remain on after the screen flashes and are u able to get into bios or possibly boot from your windows disk? Let me know im sure I can help you.

Yes, the pc remains powered on after the signal to the screen is lost. Fans and leds all working.

I did not yet try to boot from the windows usb, but I can enter the bios without the screen losing signal.

HOWEVER, the bios UI looks kinda corrupted. Graphical elements are missing, and switching between views does not properly update the screen, as a result they all stack onto each other.

Still I kinda feel like this is a power issue, somehow..

post-264277-0-17991500-1443137656_thumb.

post-264277-0-19093000-1443137593_thumb.

id try flashing the bios dude. if its still the same then the video out is corrupting the image IMO 

Specs 

CPU-Intel I7 4790K- @ 4.5Ghz / Mobo - Asus Maximus Hero VII / GPU - GTX 980 @ 1592MHz / RAM - 16Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro @ 2400Mhz / Cooler - Corsair H105 / SSD - Samsung 250gb 840 EVO / HDD - 2x 2tb Seagate/3x 3tb Seagate / PSU - Corsair RM1000 / Keyboard - Corsair K70 / Mouse - Corsair M65 / Case - Custom Glass panel Corsair Obsidian 750D -  Still saving for upgrades =)

Test your hardware outside the case.

Also, do all those graphical artifacts in the bios happen even with the integrated graphics? 

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

im certain this is not a power issue. It very well could be a cpu issue.  I had a CPU that would startup and I could access bios, but as soon as I tried to boot into windows 8, 7 or even Linux I had the same problem u had.  If it occurred directly after a windows update, I would say windows is messed up and would recommend a reinstall next. 600W is more then enough power to carry a 950ti and a skylite CPU.  Bet u could power that with a 400w PSU. Try reinstalling windows.

Test your hardware outside the case.

Also, do all those graphical artifacts in the bios happen even with the integrated graphics?

Connecting the screen to the mobo DVI shows absolutely nothing, not even the boot screen.

The reason i am thinking this could be a power issue, is because, like I said, my old pc would do something very similar: I would hit the power button, it would power up, but the screen would read "no video signal". It was the reason I decided it was time to get a new PC.

Now, the common link between my old pc and my new pc is the Corsair PSU.

No comments/thoughts on that?

EDIT: I just managed to load into the Win10 USB. Not goi g to try to reinstall windows now, gtg to work.

Could it be possible that windows update installed a BIOS update that resu.ted in this? I don't remember seeing anything relevant to a bios update in the updates list though. I do remwmber the nvidia drivers were in there however.

EDIT 2: Ok, I am now late for work, but I had to try. Well, I just did a clean install of Windows 10 and I am sitting on the desktop right now. Maybe you were right Jackm1120?

EDIT 3: BIOS is still messed up though (DISCLAIMER: The BIOS menu was not always like this, I had entered into it a few times before the incident and it was fine)

Connecting the screen to the mobo DVI shows absolutely nothing, not even the boot screen.

The reason i am thinking this could be a power issue, is because, like I said, my old pc would do something very similar: I would hit the power button, it would power up, but the screen would read "no video signal". It was the reason I decided it was time to get a new PC.

Now, the common link between my old pc and my new pc is the Corsair PSU.

No comments/thoughts on that?

EDIT: I just managed to load into the Win10 USB. Not goi g to try to reinstall windows now, gtg to work.

Could it be possible that windows update installed a BIOS update that resu.ted in this? I don't remember seeing anything relevant to a bios update in the updates list though. I do remwmber the nvidia drivers were in there however.

EDIT 2: Ok, I am now late for work, but I had to try. Well, I just did a clean install of Windows 10 and I am sitting on the desktop right now. Maybe you were right Jackm1120?

EDIT 3: BIOS is still messed up though (DISCLAIMER: The BIOS menu was not always like this, I had entered into it a few times before the incident and it was fine)

I still have doubts about it being a power issue, can borrow another PSU and try that?

The problem could be on the motherboard itself.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

Ok, I have updates on this.

During the last 7-8 hours I was trying to troubleshoot the issue.

About 2-3 hours ago, I pinpointed the cause to be an Nvidia driver issue.

Whenever I had the nvidia driver installed, and booted from the nvidia card, instead of the IGPU on the processor, the POST screen would be displayed in a resolution greater than my screen's 1920x1080 (that's why it looked "corrupted") and the screen would stop receiving a video input when it started loading Windows.

The closest I came to fixing it was by doing the following:

* Entered Windows by connecting the screen to the mobo DVI exit

* Uninstalled NVidia drivers

* Reconnected the driver free Nvidia card and entered windows in shitty resolution

* Opened Device Manager and uninstalled the driver of the detected GTX950

* Reboot to Windows, with Nvidia card still connected

* Driver 355.69 gets installed automatically after a few moments in the lock screen, and everything works fine.

* Reboot to check if it will keep working

* "No video input"

So, I spent the last 2-3 trying to solve a shitty Nvidia driver issue. Worst case scenario, I could simply connect the screen to the mobo DVI exit and work like that until I could resolve the nvidia issue somehow, right?

Wrong.

A few moments ago there was a power outage that lasted for about a second, while I was still troubleshooting. My pc powered off and it immediately powered back on once power was restored, a second later.

This one second, was enough to send my 1.5 month of waiting for the parts to arrive, my 1 day I spent building it, my 1 day spent troubleshooting the shitty nvidia driver, and my 1400 € that I spent on the whole thing, down the drain.

Because you see, now when I power it on, it won't even go to POST. My one day old pc is already dead.

So, fuck it. I am so frustrated right now, I don't even care anymore. It can go burn to hell, I quit.

Worst money I have ever spent. Fuck it.

Wait I don't understand, the PC is fried now?  Also I can guarantee that this is a windows 10 combined with a driver issue.  Using windows 8.1 will solve your issues.

Wait I don't understand, the PC is fried now?

Considering now it won't even go to BIOS, I would say yes. Fuck my luck.

Also I can guarantee that this is a windows 10 combined with a driver issue.  Using windows 8.1 will solve your issues.

I wish this was still my issue

its your motherboard. Don't buy MSI...get an asus or evga board.  Problems will be solved

So, today it decided to power on properly. Don't know how it happened, but at least it's not fried after all.

its your motherboard. Don't buy MSI...get an asus or evga board. Problems will be solved

I don't think it's the motherboard.

I have observed that uninstalling the nvidia drivers, will allow me to boot into windows, when connected to the graphics card. However the resolution is bad, because no drivers.

Also, connecting to the processor's IGPU (which takes the nvidia drivers out of the equation) has always been working anyway and the resolution is always native at 1920x1080

It must be a driver issue

Delete the driver and all instances of it from your system. Use DDU to get rid of it from the registry.

I'd remove the card so Windows doesn't try to automatically install drivers for it from WU, use the iGPU. Go to nVidias site and download something known to be stable - people are saying 353.62 on other threads here.

Physically disconnect your PC from the Internet. Again you're trying to stop Windows installing whatever it feels like as your driver automatically.

Reinstall your 950 and install it with those new drivers. Make sure you're not allowing any programs to automatically download and install updates (like GeForce Experience) to the GeForce drivers.

So, today it decided to power on properly. Don't know how it happened, but at least it's not fried after all.

I don't think it's the motherboard.

I have observed that uninstalling the nvidia drivers, will allow me to boot into windows, when connected to the graphics card. However the resolution is bad, because no drivers.

Also, connecting to the processor's IGPU (which takes the nvidia drivers out of the equation) has always been working anyway and the resolution is always native at 1920x1080

It must be a driver issue

have you changed the graphics option in the bios? thank it was called IGP check its set to disabled and plug your monitor into your card. sorry if this has been suggested 

Specs 

CPU-Intel I7 4790K- @ 4.5Ghz / Mobo - Asus Maximus Hero VII / GPU - GTX 980 @ 1592MHz / RAM - 16Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro @ 2400Mhz / Cooler - Corsair H105 / SSD - Samsung 250gb 840 EVO / HDD - 2x 2tb Seagate/3x 3tb Seagate / PSU - Corsair RM1000 / Keyboard - Corsair K70 / Mouse - Corsair M65 / Case - Custom Glass panel Corsair Obsidian 750D -  Still saving for upgrades =)

Delete the driver and all instances of it from your system. Use DDU to get rid of it from the registry.

I'd remove the card so Windows doesn't try to automatically install drivers for it from WU, use the iGPU. Go to nVidias site and download something known to be stable - people are saying 353.62 on other threads here.

Physically disconnect your PC from the Internet. Again you're trying to stop Windows installing whatever it feels like as your driver automatically.

Reinstall your 950 and install it with those new drivers. Make sure you're not allowing any programs to automatically download and install updates (like GeForce Experience) to the GeForce drivers.

This seems like the best solution if your going to run windows 10...Although I strongly suggest switching to windows 8.1.  Cant stress it enough. As much hype as windows 10 has gotten, Windows 8 is very well optimized, runs significantly faster then 7 AND works well with NVidia drivers.  Although this whole problem is partially due to NVidias latest drivers having some problems. 

ALSO Bios flash may help IF and only if there is a new version of the bios for your board.  Again stay away from MSI motherboards.  Asus and EVGA are your best shot.  I know this has been frustrating over the last week but stay strong, im sure youll get your pc working and learn a thing or two in the process

I did this EXACT thing earlier today.

It worked. I installed the driver 355.69, no black screen on installation. I restarted, no black screen. Started using the pc normally, even played for a couple hours.

Then I restarted. Black screen, no video input.

Been using the pc with the IGPU since. Again, I even played a little. A few minutes ago I tried to restart in safe mode in order to repeat the above process (I was intending to use a different driver version this time). Restarted after selecting the option to start in safe mode, to use DDU, and it never restarted.

Black screen, not even going through POST/BIOS load, like the time I thought it was fried by the outage.

This seems like the best solution if your going to run windows 10...Although I strongly suggest switching to windows 8.1. Cant stress it enough. As much hype as windows 10 has gotten, Windows 8 is very well optimized, runs significantly faster then 7 AND works well with NVidia drivers. Although this whole problem is partially due to NVidias latest drivers having some problems.

ALSO Bios flash may help IF and only if there is a new version of the bios for your board. Again stay away from MSI motherboards. Asus and EVGA are your best shot. I know this has been frustrating over the last week but stay strong, im sure youll get your pc working and learn a thing or two in the process

Well, I don't have windows 8, I only have 7.

I have also updated the bios to the latest version.

have you changed the graphics option in the bios? thank it was called IGP check its set to disabled and plug your monitor into your card. sorry if this has been suggested

Yes, when booting with the gtx950 connected this is disabled.

try to boot with GPU of the main board boot with on board graphics. will that work?

EOC folding stats - Folding stats - My web folding page stats

Summer Glau: Quote's The future is worth fighting for. Serenity

My linux setup: CPU: I7 2600K @4.5Ghz, MM: Corsair 16GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Radeon his iceq x2 7970, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 750 plus Gold modular

My gaming setup: CPU: I7 3770K @4.7Ghz, MM: Corsair 32GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Gigabyte RX580 8GB, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 860i Platinum modular

try to boot with GPU of the main board

You mean disconnect, completely take off, the graphics card? Will do, and update this post.

UPDATE: I physically removed the GPU and powered on, with the screen connected to the IGPU. I am on windows right now.

The only difference from before is that I physicqlly removed the GPU, while previously I would only disconnect the power cable from it but still leave it connected to the mobo.

I would setup a dual boot system....Also NEVER leave a videocard in the motherboard with no power and vice versa.  Im sure u can find a windows 8.1 torrent somewhere. but windows 7 should be fine. Just use disk manager to shrink a volume and install windows 7

For anyone wanting an update on this:

After a long week, and trying out various setups in order to pinpoint the issue, I think I finally got it.

It was the cable. The monitor cable. The DVI-D Dual Link cable.

The DVI-D Dual Link type has support for a maximum of 2560 × 1600 resolution signal. My screen's maximum resolution is 1920 × 1080.

I switched, yesterday, from the DVI-D Dual Link (which was a relic from my old PC, because my old card did not support HDMI) to an HDMI-to-DVI-D Single Link( which has support for a maximum of 1920 × 1080 resolution signal.). Every single time I have powered on my computer ever since it has booted flawlessly, with no more alerts to change my resolution to 1080 and then my screen entering sleep mode.

So, that was it, it seems. Crisis averted (?)

For anyone wanting an update on this:

After a long week, and trying out various setups in order to pinpoint the issue, I think I finally got it.

It was the cable. The monitor cable. The DVI-D Dual Link cable.

The DVI-D Dual Link type has support for a maximum of 2560 × 1600 resolution signal. My screen's maximum resolution is 1920 × 1080.

I switched, yesterday, from the DVI-D Dual Link (which was a relic from my old PC, because my old card did not support HDMI) to an HDMI-to-DVI-D Single Link( which has support for a maximum of 1920 × 1080 resolution signal.). Every single time I have powered on my computer ever since it has booted flawlessly, with no more alerts to change my resolution to 1080 and then my screen entering sleep mode.

So, that was it, it seems. Crisis averted (?)

That never occurred to me as a possible solution but makes complete sense.  Still odd that the computer and monitor are not communicating but atleast its working.