Project "It's too big".

d3sl91

Welcome to project "It's Too Big". 

H05sa59m.jpg

Where I take something big and make it smaller....

Backstory:

Back in the Good old Days, I built a large computer. I had money, I had space, I had time. I went ahead and spent a ton on custom watercooling, had plans for SLI, and did lots of gaming!

4zXSfpnl.jpg xhofBD4l.jpg

And, the results were very good, And I was happy. 

FeFebHbl.jpg   yDObKMPl.jpg

But, then something happened

xYOcWi6l.jpg RNAr0aVl.jpg

I no longer game much, I am using money for wedding plans and future apartments. And now, I just need to make this computer MUCH smaller. Before anyone says anything about "her taking away my time etc etc". No, this is my decision. I stopped gaming over a year ago, awhile before we started dating. I just, didnt have the time, and had other priorities. 

Now, I want something smaller, for the challenge, and practicality. I will not be doing SLI anytime soon, and I never did extreme overclocking with my custom loop anyway. So, being able to move around with a smaller unit, and having that smaller unit in an apartment makes much more sense. 

The Plan:

First off, I have already sold the Switch 810, the Gigabyte Gaming GT, and the custom watercooling. The CPU, GPU, PSU, HDDs, SSDs, will all be staying in the new system. Parts are being ordered and returned as needed. I hope this takes less than a few days for the initial build, but we will see. 

There will likely be some intermediary cases and parts before the final product is finished. 

The Process:

9/21/14:

The Case, Watercooling, and motherboard sold on facebook in an hour. Woot! Dismantling tomorrow.

9/22/14:

Just arrived from amazon, yay cheap 1 day shipping! I have sitting on my desk the first of a few new items that will be entering my life:

Gw9X9Icl.jpg

The Z97n-Wifi was, well, just about the only option right now, and the options will not be getting any better for Z97 boards. With the newest socket and chipset starting to saturate the market, these will dissappear. 
I was wanting a Gigabyte Gaming 5. But, the extra $50 for "more red stuff" didn't quite sell me on it. And don't get me started on Asus maximus Rog stuff for $200+

The H60 is a "for now" solution. We will see how I like it, but it will possibly be returned for a 240MM solution. 

Starting to pull the system apart after a good cleaning: 

1pRDzIHl.jpg

More coming, stay tuned!

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

Project TWSS

EDIT: That wouldn't happen to be the mITX motherboard, would it @d3sl91? I would HIGHLY recommend a downdraft cooler instead of the AIO, as that motherboard does not have a heatsink covering the VRM. That, or just don't push your computer terribly hard.

EDIT2: Oh, and congratulations are in order :) Congrats dude!

EDIT3: Man, I should just think before I post and have to edit 3 times.. jeez. Source for VRM having temperature issues: I own this board. I had one shutdown due to heat when testing with a G3258. I'm willing to bet that an i7 will affect that more. Although, I think you'll only run into issues with OC (meh, not a motherboard/OCing expert, just know VRM is Voltage Regulation Module, nothing more). I did have that one crash, but that was it, with 28 hours of stressing. Best of luck!

FX-8350 | GA-990FXA-UD3 | G.SKILL 2x8GB 1600MHz | 1TB WD RE4 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI R9 290x Lightning | Corsair AX860i | Silverstone FT05B-W

Pentium G3258 | MSI Z97 PC Mate | G.SKILL 4x4GB 1066MHz | 500GB Samsung 2.5" | Stock cooler | Pending GPU | EVGA 500B | Antec DF-35

GoPro Hero 3 Silver | Netgear R7000 Nighthawk with DD-WRT | HP Officejet Pro 8610 | Canon iP110 | AudioTechnica ATR2500 USB

Downdraft cooler for mITX board (new build) | Desk mount mic stand | Pop filter | Anti-vibration mount for microphone | mITX case | 3rd monitor (matching existing 23.1" | Intel Core i7-4790K (for mITX build)

It makes me sad seeing such a great build being nerfed. 

But I guess if it's overkill, then it's overkill.

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

Project TWSS

EDIT: That wouldn't happen to be the mITX motherboard, would it @d3sl91? I would HIGHLY recommend a downdraft cooler instead of the AIO, as that motherboard does not have a heatsink covering the VRM. That, or just don't push your computer terribly hard.

EDIT2: Oh, and congratulations are in order :) Congrats dude!

EDIT3: Man, I should just think before I post and have to edit 3 times.. jeez. Source for VRM having temperature issues: I own this board. I had one shutdown due to heat when testing with a G3258. I'm willing to bet that an i7 will affect that more. Although, I think you'll only run into issues with OC (meh, not a motherboard/OCing expert, just know VRM is Voltage Regulation Module, nothing more). I did have that one crash, but that was it, with 28 hours of stressing. Best of luck!

Wow, thanks for the heads up! I don't plan on a ton of overclocking. In fact - I'm not even doing so right now  with my custom loop O.o..... I may need to though and see how I can modify the case or cooling to suit that need. 

Nice build man, and congrats on the wedding! 

What case are you going to be using? 

Don't know why but I imagine it being something like this. 

It's partly a suprise, but, mITX :)

It makes me sad seeing such a great build being nerfed. 

But I guess if it's overkill, then it's overkill.

Yeah, same here. a bit sad, but also excited to build a system again :)

Reserved.

I gotta ask, What case is that, it looks super sexy?

Wow, thanks for the heads up! I don't plan on a ton of overclocking. In fact - I'm not even doing so right now  with my custom loop O.o..... I may need to though and see how I can modify the case or cooling to suit that need.

If it helps any, and you'll still be working on this within the next month, I'll be picking up a few coolers to try them out and I can give a recommendation from there. Currently looking at the Noctua NH-L12, be Quiet! Dark Rock TF Low Profile, and CoolerMaster GemenII S524 Ver2. Leaning more towards the CM cooler, to be honest, strictly because of price (woo college budgets). I'll be buying that one, OCing the G3258 as far as I can, then I can relay the results to you. Sadly, I don't have my 4790K yet, and won't until after christmas, but maybe that can help give you an idea of what to expect...

FX-8350 | GA-990FXA-UD3 | G.SKILL 2x8GB 1600MHz | 1TB WD RE4 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI R9 290x Lightning | Corsair AX860i | Silverstone FT05B-W

Pentium G3258 | MSI Z97 PC Mate | G.SKILL 4x4GB 1066MHz | 500GB Samsung 2.5" | Stock cooler | Pending GPU | EVGA 500B | Antec DF-35

GoPro Hero 3 Silver | Netgear R7000 Nighthawk with DD-WRT | HP Officejet Pro 8610 | Canon iP110 | AudioTechnica ATR2500 USB

Downdraft cooler for mITX board (new build) | Desk mount mic stand | Pop filter | Anti-vibration mount for microphone | mITX case | 3rd monitor (matching existing 23.1" | Intel Core i7-4790K (for mITX build)

Well, I stripped the guy down and just got back from selling it:

I labeled some of the connectors so they would be able to more easily connect and get it up and running:

7jQmVVrl.jpg

Pulling stuff out and taking out the back wiring, its so empty now!

qqYdXTIl.jpg

I had used QDC connections in the watercooling to help with draining. I have adaptors with hoses to plug into these to allow the loop to drain. 

oe7kmqYl.jpg

All empty and ready to go! I put a piece of packing tape over the socket, and ended up tying the CPU block to the back of the case as well:

vqoXvRIl.jpg

NW4Vyvul.jpg

Next up: Doing some testing and booting in a temporary case. My work bench is ready.......

jMj5FIZl.jpg

9/24 I got my case. Phanteks Elvolv ITX. 

Next to a 780Ti

sfba1Zql.jpg?1

Proof that an HX850 (200mm PSU) will fit. However, I would highly, highly recommend against it. I just didnt want to drop 75-100 on a new PSU.

m88H62G.jpg?1

Starting to install parts. The standoffs have ridges to keep the motherboard in place, I love that so very much! 

wN7BDXC.jpg

I thought maybe I had made a mistake in the size of case. When I first thought of this project, I was thinking Node ITX size. Really small! Heck, I sold my custom watercooling parts for that reason. 

But now that I build in this case.... The possibilities the slightly larger size provides is great. Any smaller, and I'd be selling my 780ti and HX850 for a Smaller PSU and shorter GPU. 

So, I decided I didn't want that green GeForce logo anymore:

nLIAAQ3.jpg

JvwCx5F.jpg

End result is great. Color is off a bit because phone camera:

wiiXELw.jpg

Have everything in for today:

mOYLLxT.jpg

The cable management in the back, was not difficult at all....

o9cHsls.jpg

Glam Shots on the way. More parts arrive tomorrow!

• 3 months later...

Great build! What did you use for the coils around the tubing? I like how that looks.

Great build! What did you use for the coils around the tubing? I like how that looks.

Primochill anti-kink coils. I used the 1/2" Gloss Red ones. 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000Z0I1D8?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

Unfortunately out of stock on amazon now. 

It's normal-sized.

Joking aside I like what you've done to it. The anti-kink coils on the braided tubes is a nice touch.

Are those the Bitfenix Alchemy braided extensions? I have those, they're very good.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

It's normal-sized.

Joking aside I like what you've done to it. The anti-kink coils on the braided tubes is a nice touch.

Are those the Bitfenix Alchemy braided extensions? I have those, they're very good.

These are actually silverstone - but I think they both use the same type of braid - a nice soft kind.