Windows won't let me update "standard VGA graphics"

I was upgrading my grandad's PC with an SSD. I installed Windows 7 and he's got an HP P6 2280ea. Obviously you wouldn't expect him to have a custom built PC for browsing the web and it's actually a decent PC. Anyways, I installed the graphics driver form HP's website and installed it. I then restarted the PC and I can't get the "aero" to work aka transparent windows etc... I uninstalled the integrated graphics driver, restarted the PC and then searched for an update for the drivers on device manager. Windows keeps saying the latest driver is already installed when I clearly uninstalled it. How could I get around this? Thanks!

That's because he has no GPU.

CPU: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.3 GHz       GPU: MSI GTX 980                      Cooling: be quiet! Pure Rock                     OS: Windows 7            Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z

Motherboard: AsRock Z97 PRO4   PSU: Corsair 600W CX600M       Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate   SSD: Intel 120GB 520   Headset: HyperX Cloud II

RAM: 12GB Crucial Ballistix            Case: Corsair 750D                       Mouse: Logitech G502                         HDD: Seagate 1TB        Speakers: Audioengine A5+

Integrated graphics mainly used VGA

| CPU: AMD FX 8350 + H100i | GPU: AMD R9 290X + NZXT Kraken | RAM: HyperX Beast 2033 16GB | PSU: EVGA G2 | MOBO: ASRock 970M |

| CASE: Corsair Carbide 88R |STORAGE: 1x WD Black | KEYBOARD: Corsair K70 | MOUSE: R.A.T 9 |

SOMETIMES LOSING THE BATTLE, MEANS YOU CAN WIN THE WAR

I know that haha but he had aero working before.

I was upgrading my grandad's PC with an SSD. I installed Windows 7 and he's got an HP P6 2280ea. Obviously you wouldn't expect him to have a custom built PC for browsing the web and it's actually a decent PC. Anyways, I installed the graphics driver form HP's website and installed it. I then restarted the PC and I can't get the "aero" to work aka transparent windows etc... I uninstalled the integrated graphics driver, restarted the PC and then searched for an update for the drivers on device manager. Windows keeps saying the latest driver is already installed when I clearly uninstalled it. How could I get around this? Thanks!

Run the windows experience assessment tool or whatever its called. Right click My Computer -> Properties  and then re-run the assessment tool to give you your windows score. That should forcefully re-enable the aero theme when it completes...unless youve already tried that.

When in doubt, re-format.

Download the driver from the OEM's (Nvidia, AMD) Website. 

Thanks, I would but I can't since the graphics is on the motherboard (has no GPU).

Run the windows experience assessment tool or whatever its called. Right click My Computer -> Properties  and then re-run the assessment tool to give you your windows score. That should forcefully re-enable the aero theme when it completes...unless youve already tried that.

Thanks, I'll give it ago now.

Thanks, I would but I can't since the graphics is on the motherboard (has no GPU).

It would be an Intel graphics driver. Get it from intel's site directly.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/

1-Graphics Drivers

2-Desktop Graphics drivers

3-[...] for second or third Generation Intel Core Processors

Click find

2nd or 3rd because it depends if it's sandy or ivy bridge, though they might be the same drivers

This is a signature.

1-Graphics Drivers

Click find

2nd or 3rd because it depends if it's sandy or ivy bridge, though they might be the same drivers

Or just run this:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24345/Intel-Driver-Update-Utility

DISPLAYS: LG 27UL500 IPS 4k60hz + HDR and LG 27GL650F IPS 1080p 144hz + HDR

LAPTOP: Lenovo Legion 5 CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800H GPU: RTX 3070 8GB RAM: 16GB 3200MHz (2x8GB DDR4) STORAGE: 1TB Crucial P5 NVMe SSD + 2TB Samsung 970 evo plus NVMe SSD DISPLAY: 1080p 165hz IPS OS: Windows 10 Pro x64

1-Graphics Drivers

Click find

Thanks for the reply. I've done all of that and Windows won't boot up (happened to me 5 times now) it's because HP puts some software on the PC to corrupt Windows or it's in the firmware actually. I can't install Windows over the top of it as it's hard to explain what it is. Really they do it so people can ring their premium rate numbers and get assistance to get around it if you get me. I'm like so close to throwing the PC out of the Windows and getting him a Mac or custom built PC haha (I don't have the money to do that). :)

Thanks for the reply. I've done all of that and Windows won't boot up (happened to me 5 times now) it's because HP puts some software on the PC to corrupt Windows or it's in the firmware actually. I can't install Windows over the top of it as it's hard to explain what it is. Really they do it so people can ring their premium rate numbers and get assistance to get around it if you get me. I'm like so close to throwing the PC out of the Windows and getting him a Mac or custom built PC haha (I don't have the money to do that). :)

backup his important data first!

download windows 7 iso...

get the key from his current windows

burn the 7 iso to a usb

upgrade the bios

boot up the usb stick

delete all partitions on the hdd

remake the partition

install windows 7..use the generic key for install..if his key doeesn't work

once windows is installed..change the key

activate it

use windows media tool to make a new usb key

upgrade to windows 10 from inside windows by clicking on the setup.exe on the usb stick

install win 10..don't put in any keys or anything...

once 10 is installed.and activated.....use the win 10 usb stick again and boot up to the win 10 install

delete all parititons again

remake 1 again

continue with install...and don't put any key in...skip the times it asks for a key...

once windows 10 is installed it will auto activate again

update all drivers from the chipset manufacterues website

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

backup his important data first!

download windows 7 iso...

get the key from his current windows

burn the 7 iso to a usb

upgrade the bios

boot up the usb stick

delete all partitions on the hdd

remake the partition

install windows 7..use the generic key for install..if his key doeesn't work

once windows is installed..change the key

activate it

use windows media tool to make a new usb key

upgrade to windows 10 from inside windows by clicking on the setup.exe on the usb stick

install win 10..don't put in any keys or anything...

once 10 is installed.and activated.....use the win 10 usb stick again and boot up to the win 10 install

delete all parititons again

remake 1 again

continue with install...and don't put any key in...skip the times it asks for a key...

once windows 10 is installed it will auto activate again

update all drivers from the chipset manufacterues website

Thanks, I'll give it a go! 

Also, in the future, NEVER EVER EVER buy HP, seriously.

Also, in the future, NEVER EVER EVER buy HP, seriously.

I'm using HP laptop without any issues...

@OP: did you try to go into safe mode to uninstall the drivers to get your Windows to boot up?

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5-8600K 6C 3.6 GHz | MOBO: ASUS Prime Z370-A ATX Motherboard | RAMCorsair Vengeance RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3000MHz | GPU: ASUS Dual GeForce GTX 1060 OC edition 6GB | CASE: CoolerMaster MasterBox Lite 5 RGB | PSU: CoolerMaster V750 | SDD: Samsung 840 Pro 250GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda  3 TB 7200rpm |  Sound Card: (pending)  | Speaker: Logitech Z623