Project Shhh!

DarkBlade2117

Project Shhh!

GOAL!

The goal of Shhh!  will be to make a very silent build, with as much horsepower as I can get/afford ( Notice Afford ). Well some backstory, my parents always and I mean ALWAYS complain about my PC being to loud, and my keyboard being to loud. Well I am not getting a quiet keyboard since I love the way it sounds and they will not be hearing it anyway at some point. I myself also hate the sound of hearing a fan spin or the scartchy noise a HDD makes.  Nothing bothers me more when I can hear my PC. Now it does not have to be some super duper quiet PC that I will not be able to hear with my ear next to it but it does have to be near silent enough so when I am playin games or watching youtube/twitch I do not hear Shhh!

The Parts

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($327.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler  ($82.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: MSI Z97-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($145.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Red 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  ($82.97 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($89.49 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Superclocked+ ACX 2.0+ Video Card  ($669.99 @ Amazon)
Case: be quiet! Silent Base 800 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($129.98 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($117.99 @ NCIX US)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 OEM (64-bit)  ($86.89 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: Acer K272HULbmiidp 60Hz 27.0" Monitor  ($299.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Acer XB270HU bprz 144Hz 27.0" Monitor  ($795.19 @ Amazon)
Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($144.99 @ NCIX US)
Mouse: Mionix NAOS 7000 Wired Optical Mouse  ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Speakers: Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 120W 2.1ch Speakers  ($179.48 @ Amazon)
Total: $3293.81
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-09-21 18:15 EDT-0400

Current Specs are in Signature.

Explanation of Parts

Now some of you may be thinking, "What you can afford? THE BUILD IS $3,300!!!!." Well... Yes the build all together is around $3,300 but I will not be getting this all at once. This will be a step by step Build Log and will update whenever I get an idea, need help, or just something happens like a part arrives.

• CPU  I went when the i7-4790k for a solid reason, Yes I can go with skylake, and I might possibly do that but I am 14 years old and quite frankly money is not easy to come by. Now if I somehow get enough money by the end of the year for skylake, I will go for that. For now, I already own some temp ram. ( 2x4 Hyundai 1333mhz and 2x4 Crucial 1333mhz ) so this will save me money.
  • Cooler I could of gone for a Noctua, Cryorig, or any other cooler but I chose the BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 not only for the aesthetics but for removing any possible moving parts. I will not be doing any big overclocks, I may shoot for a 4.5Ghz but maybe not even overclock until later down the road. Also to match the case.
  • Motherboard I like MSI. Not much to stay other then to go with a red/black themed build. ( Favorite color is red :) ) If I decide to go skylake it will be a MSI M7.
  • RAM Not much to say, 8x2 Kit, is red, 1866Mhz. Also will allow for future upgrades to 32 ( Doubt I will need that )
  • Storage 1 850 Evo, For the obvious most used programs and played games. Also ( to me atleast ) is one of the best price-performance SSDs you can get.
  • Storage 2 1TB for mass storage and WD Black, well since I can. If money comes along it will be a STRICTLY SSD Build. To avoid any possible noise.
  • GPU  Now, I chose EVGA for there customer support here and the nice backplate. I may go for the Asus Strix 980Ti ( Or Pascal Equivalent, May not have this GPU until then so... ) since the Streix offers a 0DBA gaming mode or whatever. Silence :)
  • Case Now, The all black windows Silent Base 800. Mmm so sexy. I could not resist myself into choosing this case.
  • PSU The PSU saying EVGA G2 it should be a EVGA GS. I am gonna choose the EVGA GS simply because it has a "eco" mode that will make sure the fan does not turn on unless it is needed so, again, silence.
  • Peripheals These are strictly for the reason that I like them. I want CherryMX Greens since I have strong fingers and love stiff keys, if you wanna know how CherryMX Blues/Browns/Clears feel to me, Type on one of those then go type on some CherryMX Reds or Rubber Dome switches. Browns, Blues, and Clears feel really light to me. As for the mouse, Mionix Castor has gotten to much love after I have used it over at my friends house. The grip, zero acceleration, everything about it is wonderful. Now for the monitors, my goal is to have 2-3 27Inch monitors with the middle one being at minimum 144Hz IPS. The G-Sync is not needed and by time I get this monitor prices will of hopefully gone down. If you notice the cheaper 1440p 60hz panel, when I get the 980ti I will also get a new monitor at the same time :D. Speakers because I need some and they look good for the money. 

These parts will change if I find something or something comes out that I like. These are a basis for what I want.

Soon to come :D

With my birthday being close, I am gladly getting two things off this list. The Silent Base 800 since it can not hurt to get a case early and it is one of the things holding me back. I cannot start buying parts if my case simply cannot support them. I will also be getting a power supply very soon, as mentioned the EVGA GS 850w which will allow for plenty of future upgradability. ( Notice on the case I am going half and half with my grandparents and my parents gave me a ~$120 budget for my B-Day. ) I have quite a big family also... so by Christmas and my birthday I wll hopefully have enough money to get a new CPU and Motherboard also. Depends on how much money I save up though. :D

Enjoy :).

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

After reading this and some other post, I think I'm the only one who loves the sound of a loud PC.

Your build looks really great though, post some pics and benchmarks after you build it.

TheGrim123321

CPU: I3-4170Cooler: Hyper TX3Mobo:Biostar B85MGMemory: G.Skill Ripjaw 2x4GBStorage: Barracuda 500GBGPU: Zotac GTX660Case: Fractal 1100PSU: Evga 500WMonitors: FHX2153L 21.5"│V193WEJb 19"Keyboard/Mouse: CMStorm DevastorAudio: MonoPrice 8323Microphone: BlueYeti BlackoutOS: MSX(Win10) Quote me or @TheGrim123321 to get my attention.

After reading this and some other post, I think I'm the only one who loves the sound of a loud PC.

Your build looks really great though, post some pics and benchmarks after you build it.

Will do, A loud PC just kills the vibe for me. I will be doing benchmarks as parts arrive like the CPU and more :D

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe

This looks like it's going to be a fun (albeit loooooong) build log :P , followed

Yeah! Thanks :) It will be somewhat long. Worth it though, I might try and sell my 320GB PS3 to bring some cash in.

Just something you might want to be aware of: the WD Black drives are quick, but also get fairly loud, which is definitely an issue for silence oriented builds (in one I put together it actually ended up being the loudest component by a long stretch). A WD Green drive might not offer as fast performance, but it'll be considerably quieter. It's a trade-off you'll have to make your mind up on, but I'd definitely go that way if I didn't need to deal with moving ~100GB of files around on a regular basis.

Check out my video work at youtube.com/SuperUserTech

Acer Aspire 5750G - i5-2410m | 8GB 1333Mhz RAM | 500GB 5400RPM HDD | Nvidia GT540m

2xBenQ EW2440L | Sennheiser HD600 | Corsair Vengeance K65 | Corsair Vengeance M65 | Panasonic Lumix G7 | Panasonic 20mm F1.7

Just something you might want to be aware of: the WD Black drives are quick, but also get fairly loud, which is definitely an issue for silence oriented builds (in one I put together it actually ended up being the loudest component by a long stretch). A WD Green drive might not offer as fast performance, but it'll be considerably quieter. It's a trade-off you'll have to make your mind up on, but I'd definitely go that way if I didn't need to deal with moving ~100GB of files around on a regular basis.

Thanks! How about WD Blues? Like I also said, SSDs may be a bit cheaper here in a few months which will help a lot.

Thanks! How about WD Blues? Like I also said, SSDs may be a bit cheaper here in a few months which will help a lot.

I'm afraid I don't have that much experience with Blues - my guess is that they'd slot somewhere in between the Green and Black drives for performance and sound, but I'm sure someone else here has a better idea. 

Check out my video work at youtube.com/SuperUserTech

Acer Aspire 5750G - i5-2410m | 8GB 1333Mhz RAM | 500GB 5400RPM HDD | Nvidia GT540m

2xBenQ EW2440L | Sennheiser HD600 | Corsair Vengeance K65 | Corsair Vengeance M65 | Panasonic Lumix G7 | Panasonic 20mm F1.7

• 4 weeks later...

Silent Base 800 and EVGA GS 850w will be in my hands within the next 4 weeks. :D birthday is on November 17th; however, I will be recieiving them early. Once they arrive, I will,post pictures of the process. Also, I will have about $70 spared. If I can get another $80 for a MSI Gaming 5, I will be hopefully getting an i7-4790k for Christmas. I have to have atleast $230 saved up by myself, $150ish for the mobo and $80 to cut the i7 down to $200 ( I live near a microcenter ). Thanks to my wonderful family my dream PC will one day be possible.

• 1 month later...

Been delayed and delayed though official!!!

EVGA GS 850W will be here in two days

Silent base 800 Blacked out w/ Window in 4-7n days.

These will allow for me to do further upgrades since these were essential and better off going big and getting what I was going to end up with rather the cheaping out on like a NZXT S340 and some reliable 500-600W PSU that would not allow for possible sli/crossfire upgrades. The case also will allow for big GPUs so no worries :D

Cannot wait. Big thanks to my mother who got me the PSU and my Grandma who chipped in $70 towards the case :D.

Next up if I can save up for a Z97 Motherboard I will be able to get a 4790k for around $260 at MicroCenter :D

I think WD black can be a good option. I hear no noise at all.

Nice build! Looking forward to how it turns out!

On the topic of hdds, if you're going to go with something, go with wd blue. As a technician, I've seen a disproportionate amount of dead wd greens & would definitely steer clear of them. I dunno what it is but they just don't seem to last. I have a 1tb blue in my rig & it is volumes quieter than the barracuda that's also in it. If it's silence you're going for then they're about as good as it gets as far as spinning discs go =]

& screw what anybody thinks, keep CLACK CLACK CLACKing away on that mechanical keyboard! Few appreciate the joys of them these days, but those who do, do forever!

I know this is an old post but I also love loud computers :P

A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.

Core 4 Quad Not Extreme, only available on LGA 557 at your local Circuit City

I know this is an old post but I also love loud computers :P

At one point or another a loud Pc did not bother me though recently the louder my PC got the more annoying it got. Also I just realized my motherboard supports 1 fan and 1 CPU Cooler lol and the Siilent Base 800 comes with I believe 4 fans so .... xD

At one point or another a loud Pc did not bother me though recently the louder my PC got the more annoying it got. Also I just realized my motherboard supports 1 fan and 1 CPU Cooler lol and the Siilent Base 800 comes with I believe 4 fans so .... xD

All hail to the fan splitters[emoji120]

As much as I tell people SSDs should be one of the last parts you get, I got a SanDisk SSDPlus 240gb for $60

http://imgur.com/bGftP4Q

It's here !!!

• 2 weeks later...

The silent Base 800 is here and I forgot to take pictures while transfering the PC over to it. Though, I have to take it back apart to today to add in the I/O shield because it would not come out and since the EVGA 850w GS was a bust, I had to RMA it. it should be here today. Also the last 2 pictures are what HP used to mount a HDD in. All metal which is one reason why my PC vibrated so much before and it was almost impossible to get out. You can't remove the HDD without removing that whole metal casing which was such BS

post-221908-0-96807300-1449515842_thumb.

post-221908-0-07607900-1449515864_thumb.

post-221908-0-58316100-1449515871_thumb.

post-221908-0-15472300-1449515878_thumb.

post-221908-0-76466500-1449515883_thumb.

You're only 14 and you are trying to build a PC of those specs? My word to you is buy the expensive stuff first, not the cheap stuff like the case, psu, fans, etc. If you buy the more expensive stuff first it will help you keep building (in my experience, but this is coming from someone that moved his Dell Inspiron 530 into about 3 different cases all with brand new fans)

Looks like it will be a nice build

You're only 14 and you are trying to build a PC of those specs? My word to you is buy the expensive stuff first, not the cheap stuff like the case, psu, fans, etc. If you buy the more expensive stuff first it will help you keep building (in my experience, but this is coming from someone that moved his Dell Inspiron 530 into about 3 different cases all with brand new fans)

Looks like it will be a nice build

I completely understand though I truly had no choice with the PSU and Case, The fact is that my case barely fit the current 750Ti I had in it, had no 2.5inch slots, could only fit MicroATX Boards that were custom made, only could fit low profile coolers. The PSU was a piece of shit 350W HP PSU. I simply did not, and do not trust it. What would of been of the point of getting like a 520w Antec HCG and like a NZXT Source 210 ? Would of just caused more money issues. The Silent Base 800 is the case I want so I misewell get it; instead of waiting, same with the PSU. Misewell get one that will last me and be worthwhile for the next few years then have to upgrade it later down the road. If I had some case that could fit bigger and better GPUs along with a semi-decent PSU, I simply would of gone for a i7-4790k and the Mobo first. Though that was not the case.

From here on out I plan on saving up for a CPU, it will be a 4790k as I already have the ram. I will then either get a MSI Gaming 5 or find another cheap alternative that is cheaper. From there I look forward to saving up for a GPU, the 980Ti is probably a long stretch to what I will end up with. Maybe if AMDs 400 series is better then Pascal I will go for a 480x, though I look forward to hopefully getting a job soon though it will be hard and I plan on taking half of my money to go towards thing and the other half to go towards future gas for the first car/truck, insurance, ect. I have my plan. I am early college student who looks forward to taking classes like A+ Cert I and Computer Diagnostic and Repair. As of now I am 15.

I do truly appreciate the advice.

Snip

Nothing to do with the build, but from your posts, you are far more mature than I was- when I was 15. 

Any reason on the WD black? for the same price you can probably get a WD Red for optimal sound output. 

Silverstone FT-05: 8 Broadwell Xeon (6900k soon), Asus X99 A, Asus GTX 1070, 1tb Samsung 850 pro, NH-D15

Resist!

Nothing to do with the build, but from your posts, you are far more mature than I was- when I was 15. 

Any reason on the WD black? for the same price you can probably get a WD Red for optimal sound output. 

As of now, I think my decision is going to be a WD Blue for a balance between sound and performance. The Blues should be quiet enough though these are not essential as I already have 2x 1TB Drives. I would want to acquire these only if I had the spare money.

Oh and I will update my Firestrike score tommorow after I install my new PSU and see what kind of OC I can get out of the GPU, also I may get a new FM1 Mobo. I have 8GB's of ram I can't use and a CPU that has potential to overclock to over 4GHZ. They go fro around $20-$35 and I might look into like a beQuiet! Pure Rock. I want to overclock though right not it is not possible.

Is the Crystal Disk score any good?

post-221908-0-75998400-1449535442.png

post-221908-0-22940700-1449535445.png

Is the Crystal Disk score any good?

Is that with the Samsung SSD? If so, no

Silverstone FT-05: 8 Broadwell Xeon (6900k soon), Asus X99 A, Asus GTX 1070, 1tb Samsung 850 pro, NH-D15

Resist!