How to switch out Motherboard AND CPU?

Hello Everyone,

So I've been looking into buying a new CPU and motherboard for my build and I was wondering how the process of switching out the motherboard and CPU goes about. Since this is an AMD to Intel upgrade, I'll probably need to change drivers.

Feel free to post any mini-tutorials or procedures as to how to do this :)

PC: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.8GHz | EVGA RTX 2060 SUPER | MSI B350 Gaming Pro Carbon | G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB @ 3200MHz C14 | EVGA G3 650W

Laptop: 2023 Macbook Pro 16" - M2 Max | 64GB RAM | 1TB SSD

Hello Everyone,

So I've been looking into buying a new CPU and motherboard for my build and I was wondering how the process of switching out the motherboard and CPU goes about. Since this is an AMD to Intel upgrade, I'll probably need to change drivers.

no need to install drivers, apart from gpu drivers.

just take out motherboard screws and line up the new motherboard holes with the standoff and proceed to screw them in.

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

Easiest thing is to wipe your HDD and make a clean install of Windows. I switched from an ASUS mobo to a GIGABYTE one, and my mouse and keyboard didn't work after. I somehow managed to install the correct drivers for the new motherboard but it didn't help. I made a clean install and now everything works like a charm ;)

#LinusKitchenTips /// "Better than useless" - Linus Sebastian

LTT Holy bible: Code Of Conduct

Project Toaster [My Silver NCASE M1 V2 Build-log] 

Main Rig
 Case: Fractal Design Define R5 CPU: INTEL 
i5 3570k Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: Maximus V Gene Z77 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming (w/ 0% fan mode) RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x8GB 1600mHz Storage: OCZ VERTEX 4 256GB PSU: Corsair AX860 Monitor: ASUS PB278Q 1440p 27" Headphones: QPAD QH-90 Laptop
Macbook Pro Retina 13" i5 256Gb Early 2015
Phone
Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone Black

Hello Everyone,

Well if you have an OEM windows license then you're going to need to get a new windows key. If not then you should just be able to swap out the boards and install new motherboard drivers and be good to go. If you want to take the time to uninstall the old motherboard drivers then you can do that also and that may solve any issues if any arise. Best possible thing to do though is to just do a fresh windows install.

Sky Pollution | i5 3570k @4.8Ghz | MSi z77a g45 | MSi GTX 770 Gaming 2gb | Samsung 840 Evo 250gb, Samsung OEM 500gb HDD | Corsair CX750m | Corsair 760t White Edition |
Corsair M95 | SuperLux 668b's | Logitech C615 | ViewSonic VX2250wm | Random OEM keyboard until I rage break it and grab another random OEM keyboard from my pile.
Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/186413-sky-pollution-my-white-760t-build-rebuildupgrade/

While you can technically just switch them out and keep your current Windows, it can often not work, especially when switching chipsets and platform. I'd advise doing a clean install of Windows to avoid any issues. 

While you can technically just switch them out and keep your current Windows, it can often not work, especially when switching chipsets and platform. I'd advise doing a clean install of Windows to avoid any issues. 

Easiest thing is to wipe your HDD and make a clean install of Windows. I switched from an ASUS mobo to a GIGABYTE one, and my mouse and keyboard didn't work after. I somehow managed to install the correct drivers for the new motherboard but it didn't help. I made a clean install and now everything works like a charm ;)

Well if you have an OEM windows license then you're going to need to get a new windows key. If not then you should just be able to swap out the boards and install new motherboard drivers and be good to go. If you want to take the time to uninstall the old motherboard drivers then you can do that also and that may solve any issues if any arise. Best possible thing to do though is to just do a fresh windows install.

If I do a fresh install of Windows, is it possible to unistall any of the AMD drivers for the CPU and motherboard, backup the computer, install the new CPU and motherboard, reinstall windows, then get everything back from the external hard drive the computer was backed up to?

PC: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.8GHz | EVGA RTX 2060 SUPER | MSI B350 Gaming Pro Carbon | G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB @ 3200MHz C14 | EVGA G3 650W

If I do a fresh install of Windows, is it possible to unistall any of the AMD drivers for the CPU and motherboard, backup the computer, install the new CPU and motherboard, reinstall windows, then get everything back from the external hard drive the computer was backed up to?

"If I do a fresh install of Windows, is it possible to unistall any of the AMD drivers..."

Well, yea - if you do a fresh install everything is deleted :P

#LinusKitchenTips /// "Better than useless" - Linus Sebastian

LTT Holy bible: Code Of Conduct

Project Toaster [My Silver NCASE M1 V2 Build-log] 

Main Rig
 Case: Fractal Design Define R5 CPU: INTEL 
i5 3570k Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: Maximus V Gene Z77 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming (w/ 0% fan mode) RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x8GB 1600mHz Storage: OCZ VERTEX 4 256GB PSU: Corsair AX860 Monitor: ASUS PB278Q 1440p 27" Headphones: QPAD QH-90 Laptop
Macbook Pro Retina 13" i5 256Gb Early 2015
Phone
Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone Black

"If I do a fresh install of Windows, is it possible to unistall any of the AMD drivers..."

Well, yea - if you do a fresh install everything is deleted :P

I meant do that before backing up the PC lol

I'd suggest just copying and pasting everything you want to keep to an external drive then doing a fresh install. Yes you will have to reinstall all other drivers and programs that you want. This is honestly the best option and is what I personally do. This will ensure you're getting the most speed out of your new cpu and will get rid of a lot of clutter. And it honestly only takes a couple hours to get everything reinstalled and setup again. Just make sure you don't forget ANYTHING that you want to keep IE teamspeak ip's and shit like that. I've forgotten to copy over my music once and lost all 112Gb of it.

Sky Pollution | i5 3570k @4.8Ghz | MSi z77a g45 | MSi GTX 770 Gaming 2gb | Samsung 840 Evo 250gb, Samsung OEM 500gb HDD | Corsair CX750m | Corsair 760t White Edition |
Corsair M95 | SuperLux 668b's | Logitech C615 | ViewSonic VX2250wm | Random OEM keyboard until I rage break it and grab another random OEM keyboard from my pile.
Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/186413-sky-pollution-my-white-760t-build-rebuildupgrade/