identifying panel type

DeViLzzz

I am wondering how I am to identify panel type on Samsung tvs ? I was told different manufacturers make them and I haven't yet found the information to identify the panel type on my Samsung 40LE550. Any help would be greatly appreciated as Samsung both on the phone and through on live tech support could not or would not help me with that.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

TV uses only 3 panel options: IPS or MVA or Plasma. If you press your finger on the monitor panel, if you see like a liquid wave forming as you gently press on the panel, and you pay close attention (don't press hard, you may break the panel), it is an IPS or MVA panel, if not then it's plasma.

If your blacks, like you put a black screen, and the blacks are pitch black, like if it was black ink, then it's an MVA panel, else it's an IPS panel.

MVA has excellent blacks, and good view angles matching IPS panels, but sucky colors. MVA panels on TV is rare, same for computer monitors.

Why not TN? TN have short view angles... bigger the screen, the worst it is, also TN panels have terrible back light bleeding. So, the TV would be horrible. The short view angle alone, would make that if you have a family sitting and watching a TV, some people won't be able to see the screen properly, as colors would shift. And it would be really annoying if you have the TV one, and you walk around the room, as you see this changing color square your TV will be. Like an average laptop... go to a store, look at an average laptop, move the screen up and down, and see how the colors shift to black or white.

Ok maybe I didn't mean to say type but manufacturer. I was told that with Samsung tvs they do not all have Samsung built panels. I really would like to be able to identify what I have. A guy I spoke to at The Source shopped for his tv in our city and it was a Samsung brand and he made sure that the one he bought got a Samsung panel and he said the model had 6 or 7 different panels for it.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

You need to find in depth reviews (and I can't find any), or see if someone knows (I can't find that info, I checked) or your best bet is to open the monitor apart and look. Sadly that's the best you can do :/

There are only 2 companies making LCDs now, Samsung and LG. So it's either one or the other and they're both good at making what they do. If it's a Samsung TV it's highly likely it's a Samsung panel.

Actually you have:

Samsung, LG as you mentioned, but also: AU Optronics, Sharp, Chi Mei Optoelectronics, Chunghwa Picture Tubes, IPS Alpha Technology, and a few more smaller ones.

But on the IPS market, you have Samsung and LG.

Yeah, I meant in the IPS category because that's the type of panel used in the major part of LCD TVs.