Gigabyte 7950s in Crossfire Causing Fun to Happen

Captain Roadkill

Well, not what I was hoping to have happen. Anyways, I've had a Windforce 7950 running since Black Friday with no issues and ordered a second to crossfire last week. Received it an hour ago, put it in, reinstall AMD drivers (caused a blue screen on first boot with two bridges, removed one) and got it kind of stable. My new issue is that the second card is now stuck at 100% fan speed while idle. AMD Catalyst is reporting it as 30% speed right now, as is Afterburner, however the tachometer for the first card is ~900 and the second is ~4500. To make matters even more fun, the installation of this card is now causing my realtek audio drivers to rapidly disconnect and reconnect my headphone jack, regardless of the port I use for it.

Any help with this is appreciated.

Specs:

Intel i5 3470 untouched

MSI Z77-G43 Motherboard

2 Gigabyte Windforce 7950s stock speeds

XFX Pro 750W PSU

If other parts (RAM, etc.) are somehow relevant, I can provide them too.

Bonus Info: When I restarted my computer, it was at 100% speed until it reached my desktop. It then began to behave. After I opened Firefox, it returned to its hissy fit.

For they fan speed this also happens randomly for me. 1 Card fan speed is normal, Sometimes when I boot the 2nd card goes to 100% and I can't get it to stop no matter what until I reboot. If you have anything that does fan control e.g. Speed fan, MSI Afterburner etc.. Remove them and just leave AMD vision engine control centre, Then tick the manual control box and see what happens as for the audio issues try disabling AMD HD Audio drivers in device manager.

Good luck :)

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k
  • CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212+ 
  • RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (2x8GB)
  • GPU: Gigabyte G1 R9 390 
  • Mobo: Asus Z170-AR
  • PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 900W 
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 
  • Case: Fractal Design R4

I truly thank you for the suggestions. I disabled both AMD Audio drivers in device manager and rebooted, and the problem persists. I narrowed it down to being some sort of interference between the front headphone and microphone jacks and the onboard subwoofer line. Attempting to use either front jack results in the onboard connection thinking that it now has something plugged into it, and will prompt every 2 seconds for me to confirm what is plugged into not only the front jack but also the subwoofer jack. I also attempted to see if the problem arises with any of the other onboard ports by plugging my headphones into each one and confirming something was inserted, and while only the Line In, Mic and Headphone jacks gave a signal, the problem never occurs for them, other than the one in question.

For now I'll just use my rear Headphone jack, but the fan issue is still boggling. I have no fan control activated, whether hardware or software, and tried turning on manual in both Afterburner and Catalyst. Neither were able to override the fan and bring it down in the least. While this is mind-boggling to me and extremely annoying, I haven't had anything to troubleshoot for a long time on any computers, so at least this gives me something to do.

I didn't think it would be possible, but this made the issue worse. My card is now stuck at 100% fan speed the whole time with the other problems remaining.

I didn't think it would be possible' date=' but this made the issue worse. My card is now stuck at 100% fan speed the whole time with the other problems remaining.[/quote']

Did you use AMD's driver clean uninstall utility ?

Also have you tried each individual card separately, the new card could be causing the problems .

Also check the bios version of the two cards, matching the bios on both cards could help .

Well, that was the last thing I wanted to do to confirm my fears. I used it solo and the fan was still 100%, so unless the firmware could cause that even when by itself, it is definitely a busted card. The best part is my audio issue remains even when using my original card solo, so this has somehow messed up something that causes it to remain. I did also try using the clean driver utility first, and it changed nothing. Thank you for that piece of software though, I will keep it in mind for the future.

Well, that was the last thing I wanted to do to confirm my fears. I used it solo and the fan was still 100%, so unless the firmware could cause that even when by itself, it is definitely a busted card. The best part is my audio issue remains even when using my original card solo, so this has somehow messed up something that causes it to remain. I did also try using the clean driver utility first, and it changed nothing. Thank you for that piece of software though, I will keep it in mind for the future.
RMA then I guess ? that's extremely disappointing .

I'm going to have to, as unfortunate as it is. Hopefully NCIX is pretty fast with them. Once again, thank you for the help.

Any time man & good luck with the RMA .