MSI X99S SLI PLUS Error Codes

iDeJayDzn

I cant find my boards codes anywhere. I've always gotten them but my PC keeps freezing up again on boot so i need to know what my error codes are and what theyre causing an issue with so i can try sort this shit out because its really beginning to piss me off. Here are the error codes i tend to get upon boot (in order);

9C, B4, 99, B4, A2

If anybody could tell me what that sequence or any of them are them that would be amazing. MSI, Asus and EVGA support are non existant as they all dont speak to you, you have to fill out a form and MSI's website i never got a reply from before so theres nothing else i can really think of doing to get a reply apart from ask on here. Someone help, plez.

Professional Graphics Designer | Case: NZXT Phantom Orange and Black | Motherboard: MSI SLI PLUS X99S

CPU: Intel i7 5820K | Graphics Card: Zotac nVidia 1080 AMP!

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4 2400Mhz | Storage: Samsung 850 PRO 256GB, Western Digital Black 3TB & Western Digital Red 3TB | 

Monitors: Acer Predator XB271HU 27", Acer Predator XB270HAbprz 27" and BenQ GL240 24" | PSU: Corsair AX860i |

99 = Super IO Initialization

B4 = USB Hotplug
9C = USB Detect

B4 = USB Hotplug
A2 = IDE Detect

Does your computer hang on A2? Thats IDE detection error. Whats the last code it hangs on?

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5-8600K 6C 3.6 GHz | MOBO: ASUS Prime Z370-A ATX Motherboard | RAMCorsair Vengeance RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3000MHz | GPU: ASUS Dual GeForce GTX 1060 OC edition 6GB | CASE: CoolerMaster MasterBox Lite 5 RGB | PSU: CoolerMaster V750 | SDD: Samsung 840 Pro 250GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda  3 TB 7200rpm |  Sound Card: (pending)  | Speaker: Logitech Z623

99 = Super IO Initialization

9C = USB Detect

A2 = IDE Detect

So i fix them 3 how...?

Professional Graphics Designer | Case: NZXT Phantom Orange and Black | Motherboard: MSI SLI PLUS X99S

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4 2400Mhz | Storage: Samsung 850 PRO 256GB, Western Digital Black 3TB & Western Digital Red 3TB | 

Monitors: Acer Predator XB271HU 27", Acer Predator XB270HAbprz 27" and BenQ GL240 24" | PSU: Corsair AX860i |

You look at the last code your motherboard hangs on. Thats the error. Anything that flashes past is tested OK.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5-8600K 6C 3.6 GHz | MOBO: ASUS Prime Z370-A ATX Motherboard | RAMCorsair Vengeance RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3000MHz | GPU: ASUS Dual GeForce GTX 1060 OC edition 6GB | CASE: CoolerMaster MasterBox Lite 5 RGB | PSU: CoolerMaster V750 | SDD: Samsung 840 Pro 250GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda  3 TB 7200rpm |  Sound Card: (pending)  | Speaker: Logitech Z623

You look at the last code your motherboard hangs on. Thats the error. Anything that flashes past is tested OK.

9C Hang

B4 Cant remember but i think fast, rebooting now to find out

99 Fast

B4 Meh

A2 Hang

Have you tried a CMOS reset?

Hundreds of times. Reinstalled windows 4 times too but that was to try stop freezing up. Nothing fixed it. Still does it.

9C Hang

B4 Cant remember but i think fast, rebooting now to find out

99 Fast

B4 Meh

A2 Hang

Hundreds of times. Reinstalled windows 4 times too but that was to try stop freezing up. Nothing fixed it. Still does it.

Are you using a Displayport cable?

Are you using a Displayport cable?

Yes. DP in my Acer monitor and HDMI to DVI on my BenQ.

9C Hang

B4 Hang

99 Fast

B4 Fast

A2 Hang

Yes. DP in my Acer monitor and HDMI to DVI on my BenQ.

9C Hang

B4 Hang

99 Fast

B4 Fast

A2 Hang

I had the same A2 code once when my DP cable wasn't fully seated in my Graphics Card. Try reseating it or using a different port/cable. Check the monitor end too. Also, try booting with either one or the other monitor connected, see if anything changes.

Try unplugging everything from your motherboard. Only leave the CPU, it's cooler and RAM. That means plug out everything from behind the motherboard too! See if it can post or not.

If it can, power down, add the components one by one. You'll find out which component is causing the issue.

Spoiler

Try unplugging everything from your motherboard. Only leave the CPU, it's cooler and RAM. That means plug out everything from behind the motherboard too! See if it can post or not.

If it can, power down, add the components one by one. You'll find out which component is causing the issue.

I'll try this tomorrow. Thanks. I'm getting new cables from Cable Mod so i'll reseat everything and recable everything and then see whats causing it. I thought it would be my case controller but it might just be a cable not sure. Thanks for your help though. I'll try to remember to post back to let you know how i get on :)

I need GPU too as theres no onboard graphics. X99 Life.

I had the same A2 code once when my DP cable wasn't fully seated in my Graphics Card. Try reseating it or using a different port/cable. Check the monitor end too. Also, try booting with either one or the other monitor connected, see if anything changes.

They seem fully inserted on both sides. If what the other guy suggested doesnt work then i'll grab another DP cable and see if it's that, thats causing the issue. I highly doubt it but never know. Watch it be my fucking GPU.

Right so my cable mod cables have come. Theyre all fully installed and working. However when i had nothing in my PC apart from my CPU, Cooler and GPU along with motherboard, i still got the B4 9C errors. So its something lying inbetween those 4. Unless its the Coolers pump thats failing, however i doubt it. I noticed something else. When testing my RAM, as soon as more than one RAM DIMM was inserted i got a final D7 error. However that D7 error stopped appearing once i got everything fully installed to the System. So i have no clue what is causing the issues? Do you guys?

*bump*

Erm, D7 is a no keyboard found error apparently. Try again with keyboard plugged in the back of your computer.

Spoiler

Erm, D7 is a no keyboard found error apparently. Try again with keyboard plugged in the back of your computer.

Yeah its stopped appearing now. I just didnt have anything apart from the monitor in. Although with just the CPU, H100i, 970 and RAM, still same error codes.

Did you remember to take out your GPU and anything else in your PCIe slots?

Spoiler

Did you remember to take out your GPU and anything else in your PCIe slots?

I have no on board graphics or mobo LED to display the code so i needed it in. And nope, only thing that was in the PCIE slots. No fans or anything else plugged in.

The only things in were;

IO Shield

Mobo

H100i Pump

H100i Rad

970 Wires

CPU Wire

PSU

HDMI Cable

RAM

Literally the only things that were in during the testing so the faults in there somewhere. No other wires were plugged in.

• 1 year later...

Hi, have you found a solution to those 4 errors? I get the same, have tried things listed here and still no go. Thanks!

4 minutes ago, nellee6 said:

Hi, have you found a solution to those 4 errors? I get the same, have tried things listed here and still no go. Thanks!

Nope, i no longer see them. New BIOS update stopped all the codes appearing altogether although one or two was just IO detection i have no idea what the others were.