GPU Using more memory than capacity states

Growlith1223

So, i was recently playing some Ark: Survival Evolved, great game btw, but anyways, i was playing Ark, and i decided to check out my temps and stuff, they were fairly moderate, staying in the 60s 90% of the time on both cpu and gpu, but, i scroll down a little more in MSI Afterburner, and I notice my GPU Memory usage was a little high, a little too high, in fact, the memory usage was twice that of the actual gpu's memory capacity, it's a GTX 760 with only 2GBs of vram, yet, my memory usage was showing an estimated 3-4GBs! this was displayed with my fav. gpu monitoring tool, MSI Afterburner.

http://prntscr.com/8hn40k%E2'> < This is the screenshot of the memory usage(keep in mind this is while a game has been running in the background, hence why memory usage is up)

If any of you know why this is happening, then I would greatly appreciate an answer!

- Growlith1223

Just fake reading.

REDLINECore i7 6700k 4.8ghz 1.37v.Noctua NH-u12s.MSI Z170A Gaming M7.16GB Kingston Hyper X Fury Black.MSI Gaming R9 390 8GB Crossfire + GTX 780 PhysX.Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD.Fractal Design Define R5 Midi Black.SeaSonic X Series 1050w Gold.Logitech G302 Deadalus Prime.Ducky DK2108 Zero Mech Cherry Blue.

Verify using other tools that it's not a false reading. If it's true, it's simply tapping into DRAM to compensate for the lack of VRAM. There should be a noticeable dip in performance when that happens.

jees fast replies lol,

Verify using other tools that it's not a false reading. If it's true, it's simply tapping into DRAM to compensate for the lack of VRAM. There should be a noticeable dip in performance when that happens.

I can verify, EVGA Precision X is also saying the same reading, 3280MBs(game is still running in the background btw), i hope you're right but the weird thing is, there's absolutely no performance dips whatsoever, im a little worried lol