Rear GPU fan being weird, not working on multiple gpu's ?

Hi,

So I had a 7970 GHZ, and the rear fan stopped working ( and then the front fan ) after a while with my X99s, so I spent quite a bit ( ~40€ ) to get two new fans for it,

after 2 weeks, the rear fan stops working AGGAIN, so I decided to upgrade to a MSI R9 290,

now I looked at the card ( it's been about 4 weeks that I've had it, but it might have been glitchy earlier ) and the rear fan wasn't spinning !

now I don't have a third card to test, but would it maybe not be a problem with the gpu's and maybe a problem with something else ?

I'm going to test a different PCI slot, but I can't really RMA it for "glitchy gpu fans", and the gpu's are out of warranty ( 7970 ran out beginning of summer, the 290 was second hand )

what could the problem be ? anybody know of a different thread with these kind of problems ?

Recommend what is best, not what you preffer.

"Like" comments to show your support of them or the idea they express.

If it's an MSi TwinFrozr, the fans only spin as needed. Below (60 or 65c? I forgot the spec) they don't run at all, go to their website for an explanation as to when the second fan stops and why.

At launch there were issues with the fans - did you buy a used card? If so check when it was released - it might well be one of those that had issues. Again I'd recommend going to the MSI forums and posting there - they can be quite helpful and one of the MSI reps usually replies.

The cause of your problem seems hard to track down. It's probably your PSU or mobo imo. Is there a way to test the GPU in a different system if after testing in a different slot the issue remains? A customer brought a faulty system once, which was breaking hard drives after some hours of usage and we had to send back 2 HDDs before identifying that the PSU was the cause of the issue.

From salty to bath salty in 2.9 seconds

Seems like the PSU to me.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

If it's an MSi TwinFrozr, the fans only spin as needed. Below (60 or 65c? I forgot the spec) they don't run at all, go to their website for an explanation as to when the second fan stops and why.

At launch there were issues with the fans - did you buy a used card? If so check when it was released - it might well be one of those that had issues. Again I'd recommend going to the MSI forums and posting there - they can be quite helpful and one of the MSI reps usually replies.

The msi fans don't stop at idle with the R9 290,

but I'l go look at the problem.

The thing that bothered me was that the 7970 also had problems, and I wanted to sell it but I am unsure if it's worth selling if the fan is actually broken 

Recommend what is best, not what you preffer.

"Like" comments to show your support of them or the idea they express.