Steam Account Security Breaching Bypass

iDeJayDzn

So can someone explain this to me.

Someone added me on Steam, me thinking it was someone in my game invited me to a game of CS:GO but was speaking to me via steam message at the same time and responding as a human normally would. However once i joined the lobby, they also invited another person. The original person then asked if we wanted to join a teamspeak server so we both said sure. I had no idea who the other person was but im guessing they got the same issue as me as i checked the account which the items got traded to (No longer there) and other items were in there about an hour after mine got stolen.

Anyways back to my part.

So i got a prompt from TS when trying to connect to the lobby. It told me that a plugin was out of date and i had to update it. (This was teamspeak). So naturally, i thought nothing of it and because i barely use it i didnt think much of it. However it then downloaded something which was like 106kb and CS:GO crashed. Steam rebooted. However i noticed that Steam had a different thumbnail so i quickly force closed Steam as the malware was attatched to Steam. I scanned it all twice with AVG and nothing. No malware, no virus no nothing. So i rebooted Steam to see if it was still there. (Only account name was in nothing else, i didnt type anything.) So i force closed it again. So i uninstalled Steam and then went to go re download it. During me downloading Steam i recieved an email with a trade confirmation. I clicked decline (Right side, it was in russian.) but Steam then told me there was an error.

Once Steam was reinstalled (No suspicious apps running the background or the thumbnail that was there before was present). First i signed in on Chrome (Just to double check the Steam app was safe. My CS:GO items were already gone. So i signed into the app on my PC to double check and they were gone there too. 

So my main question is. HOW IN THE FUCK, does teamspeak allow for viruses to be passed that way through their application? Also how in the fuck does Steam Safeguard allow a bypass to an account when they dont even know my details, considering i didn't even have my email address open or confirm the trade? Like how is that even possible for a program or code to allow a user to automatically manage to grab an account without knowing any details then bypass Steams main security feature. 

The link clicking i understand as its a keylogger. However i didnt type anything in during the time Steam.exe was infected and uninstalled it as soon as i noticed and plus Steam usually requests a new code for a new IP/Location or Device, which it did not. Like im totally baffled as to how in the fuck Steam or Teamspeak could allow flaws like this to happen? Like what in the fuck.

Professional Graphics Designer | Case: NZXT Phantom Orange and Black | Motherboard: MSI SLI PLUS X99S

CPU: Intel i7 5820K | Graphics Card: Zotac nVidia 1080 AMP!

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4 2400Mhz | Storage: Samsung 850 PRO 256GB, Western Digital Black 3TB & Western Digital Red 3TB | 

Monitors: Acer Predator XB271HU 27", Acer Predator XB270HAbprz 27" and BenQ GL240 24" | PSU: Corsair AX860i |

-.- And that's why i use mumble not some crappy ts.

PS This has happened to many users and friends i know, one of 'em lost his karambit UV MW.

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

-.- And that's why i use mumble not some crappy ts.

PS This has happened to many users and friends i know.

I tend to use Skype (I know but its usually with people i know) I only tend to use TS for people i meet on CS or other games that dont use skype.

EDIT - Plus i've always tended to be very vigilant about what i click. With it being a TS message pop up though, i thought nothing of it.

Professional Graphics Designer | Case: NZXT Phantom Orange and Black | Motherboard: MSI SLI PLUS X99S

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4 2400Mhz | Storage: Samsung 850 PRO 256GB, Western Digital Black 3TB & Western Digital Red 3TB | 

Monitors: Acer Predator XB271HU 27", Acer Predator XB270HAbprz 27" and BenQ GL240 24" | PSU: Corsair AX860i |

What did Steam said to you? 

You are joking. I created a ticket 4 days ago and i've had nothing back. I'm still waiting for a reply from them.

Typical scam in steam that teamspeak bullshittery is allways a scam sometimes they try to get you to download a new teamspeak like program. Im sorry to hear that you got scammed. You must learn the hard way sometimes to be suspicious for scams :(

Spoiler

CPU: i7-5820k @ 4.4GHz Motherboard: Asus X99 Strix  Graphics Card: Gigabyte 980Ti G1 Gaming Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury 24GB (3x 8GB) Hard Drive: 1TB WD Green SSD: Samsung 950 Pro 250GB CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Power Supply: EVGA G2 850W Case: Corsair 400c Mouse: Logitech G502 Keyboard: Asus Strix (mx reds)  Monitor: BenQ XL2730Z 1440p@144hz OS: Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit Laptops: Lenovo Y50-70: i7-4720HQ - 16GB RAM - 256GB SSD - GTX 960m 4GB - MacBook Pro (Early 2016) 2,0GHz i5 - 8GB Ram - 256GB SSD Phone: iPhone 7+

You are joking. I created a ticket 4 days ago and i've had nothing back. I'm still waiting for a reply from them.

I've never had any issues with Steam mostly because I don't spend my money in useless skins for games. But I wouldn't know how much it takes for steam to respond to a claim, I hope you get your money back mate and learn a bit from the experience.

Typical scam in steam that teamspeak bullshittery is allways a scam sometimes they try to get you to download a new teamspeak like program. Im sorry to hear that you got scammed. You must learn the hard way sometimes to be suspicious for scams :(

After it happened i looked around and apparently it started in Dota2 or something? Now CS people are getting around to it and using it to get skins. Although it's a pain in the arse for the other person to get them back because of Steams shite customer support. Just gotta wait i suppose. I'm just pissed off because i had loads of expensive skins and also i have no idea how it could even happen. Like it'll baffle me till someone can explain what exactly happened for them to manage to get hold of them.

I've never had any issues with Steam mostly because I don't spend my money in useless skins for games. But I wouldn't know how much it takes for steam to respond to a claim, I hope you get your money back mate and learn a bit from the experience.

Like i said up above im usually vigilant. Thats just something im new to. I didnt think TS itself would be that open to malware and hacks. Ah well. Atleast i know not to trust any plugin updates again.

You probably got the MOTD message made to look like a plugin update message, combined with a bogus link to a webpage to download the malware. MOTD messages can use the [url=] tag to do link insertions to text, this is nothing new.

good luck. i was on their waiting list for hacked accounts for 2 months,and when i got contact it was a BS answer and i had to create a new one

Rigs I've Built

The Striker i5 4590 @ 3.7 ||  MSI GTX 980 Armor X2 || Corsair RMX 750 || Team Elite Plus 8 GB || Define S || MSI Z97S SLI Krait

The Office PC i3 4160 @ 3.6 || Intel 4600 || EVGA 500B || G.Skill 8 GB || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M Pro4

The Friend PC G3258 @ 4.3 || Sapphire R9 280X Tri-X || EVGA 600B || 8 GB Dell Ram || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M- iTX/ac

The Mom Gaming PC A10-7890K @ 4.4 || iGPU + ASUS R7 250 ||  8 GB Klevv DDR3-2800 Mhz

js

Sometimes TS has you download things, they even ask you if they want you to download it.

You gotta be pretty stupid IF you go on and download it.

Not saying that you did, but no one I ever know has managed to do this, and I know people.

good luck. i was on their waiting list for hacked accounts for 2 months,and when i got contact it was a BS answer and i had to create a new one

Thats the thing. My accounts fine. All that was touched was my CS:GO skins. Like they just cleaned that tab. There's nothing else been touched. No attempt on transactions, no attempt to sell anything, no attempt to get the account change/VAC'd or nothing. They just seemed to bypass every saftey protocol and get all my skins. Which i dont understand.

You probably got the MOTD message made to look like a plugin update message, combined with a bogus link to a webpage to download the malware. MOTD messages can use the [url=] tag to do link insertions to text, this is nothing new.

TS was already open. Wait you mean the servers welcome message? Idk. TS didnt say i was kicked or removed from a server, i just got i couldnt join because of an invalid plugin.

js

Sometimes TS has you download things, they even ask you if they want you to download it.

You gotta be pretty stupid IF you go on and download it.

Not saying that you did, but no one I ever know has managed to do this, and I know people.

I barely use it so its my first instance with anything like this. I never liked TS as it was. I just had it running in the background incase i ever needed it because a couple of my friends use it from time to time. I understand kind of how it'd work but usually with programs theres plugins in certain things and i just thought it was that. I wasnt aware of TS being so infected. Now i do however so meh. I'll be fine once i get my items back.

That happened exactly the same to my brother. Him not being knowledgeable clicked a link without checking it. Almost lost an expensive knife. I spent an entire day trying to fix his PC. Lucky I had his account on my PC, so I managed to trade all his items to me. But there was attempts to hack his account. 

I honestly want to know how this works as well. 

Ryze of the Phoenix: 
CPU:      AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 4.15GHz
Ram:      64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @ 3200Mhz (Samsung B-Die & Nanya Technology)
GPU:      MSI RTX 3060 12GB Aero ITX
Storage: Crucial P3 1TB NVMe Gen 4 SSD, 1TB Crucial MX500, Spinning Rust (7TB Internal, 16TB External - All in-use),
PSU:      Cooler Master MWE Gold 750w V2 PSU (Thanks LTT PSU Tier List)
Cooler:   BeQuite! Prue Rock 2 Black Edition
Case:     ThermalTake Versa J22 TG

Passmark 10 Score: 6096.4         CPU-z Score: 4189 MT         Unigine Valley (DX11 @1080p Ultra): 5145         CryEngine Neon Noir (1080p Ultra): 9579

Audio Setup:                  Scarlett 2i2, AudioTechnica AT2020 XLR, Mackie CR3 Monitors, Sennheiser HD559 headphones, HyperX Cloud II Headset, KZ ES4 IEM (Cyan)

Laptop:                            MacBook Pro 2017 (Intel i5 7360U, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, 2x Thunderbolt 3 Ports - No Touch Bar) Catalina & Boot Camp Win10 Pro

Primary Phone:               Xiaomi Mi 11T Pro 5G 256GB (Snapdragon 888)

That happened exactly the same to my brother. Him not being knowledgeable clicked a link without checking it. Almost lost an expensive knife. I spent an entire day trying to fix his PC. Lucky I had his account on my PC, so I managed to trade all his items to me. But there was attempts to hack his account. 

I honestly want to know how this works as well. 

I mean it was within TS acting as a plugin update so i thought nothing of it. He was lucky to have nothing else stolen. Uninstalling Steam fixed mine because it leaches to Steams internal files but virus scanners dont pick it up so im guessing it leaches to a reg key or something.

I mean it was within TS acting as a plugin update so i thought nothing of it. He was lucky to have nothing else stolen. Uninstalling Steam fixed mine because it leaches to Steams internal files but virus scanners dont pick it up so im guessing it leaches to a reg key or something.

The one that had my brother was a separate file. It had nothing to do with TS. The reason I call him an idiot is because it was a direct link to a file site they were using (I think it was DropBox) You don't click those types of links. But yeh, hes pretty lucky that I had his account on my PC. But it sucks that they got your skins. those can be pretty rare and expensive.

Here's what my brother almost had stolen from him

zjhJBUf.png

Ryze of the Phoenix: 
Ram:      64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @ 3200Mhz (Samsung B-Die & Nanya Technology)
Storage: Crucial P3 1TB NVMe Gen 4 SSD, 1TB Crucial MX500, Spinning Rust (7TB Internal, 16TB External - All in-use),

Passmark 10 Score: 6096.4         CPU-z Score: 4189 MT         Unigine Valley (DX11 @1080p Ultra): 5145         CryEngine Neon Noir (1080p Ultra): 9579

Audio Setup:                  Scarlett 2i2, AudioTechnica AT2020 XLR, Mackie CR3 Monitors, Sennheiser HD559 headphones, HyperX Cloud II Headset, KZ ES4 IEM (Cyan)

Laptop:                            MacBook Pro 2017 (Intel i5 7360U, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, 2x Thunderbolt 3 Ports - No Touch Bar) Catalina & Boot Camp Win10 Pro

The one that had my brother was a separate file. It had nothing to do with TS. The reason I call him an idiot is because it was a direct link to a file site they were using (I think it was DropBox) You don't click those types of links. But yeh, hes pretty lucky that I had his account on my PC. But it sucks that they got your skins. those can be pretty rare and expensive.

Here's what my brother almost had stolen from him

zjhJBUf.png

This russian dick took all this... so quite a lot :)))))

http://prntscr.com/8hhga3

Im just hoping Steam gives me them back. No way im buying anymore if they dont.

I barely use it so its my first instance with anything like this. I never liked TS as it was. I just had it running in the background incase i ever needed it because a couple of my friends use it from time to time. I understand kind of how it'd work but usually with programs theres plugins in certain things and i just thought it was that. I wasnt aware of TS being so infected. Now i do however so meh. I'll be fine once i get my items back.

TS is 100% is safe. Someone got you to download something to join the server. your Probably didnt think anything of it and didnt know :U

Teamspeak itself is not infected though...

This russian dick took all this... so quite a lot :)))))

http://prntscr.com/8hhga3

Im just hoping Steam gives me them back. No way im buying anymore if they dont.

Damn, while my brother would have been pissed, he had it lucky compared to that.

As for Steam refunding the items, I think there was a policy if they can detect the theft they would restore the inventory to a certain point before the theft.

But I think this has since been retracted. Hope you can get your items back.

Ryze of the Phoenix: 

Damn, while my brother would have been pissed, he had it lucky compared to that.

As for Steam refunding the items, I think there was a policy if they can detect the theft they would restore the inventory to a certain point before the theft.

But I think this has since been retracted. Hope you can get your items back.

Its still on their forums saying that they refund the items on case per case basis one time only per account. They only invalidate your ticket/problem if it was a trade that you initiated. Which i didnt. Mainly because im not fucking Russian.

Steam should strictly implement a proper 2 factor auth. Go through the same method in which facebook, google, lastpass, and others do. 

Be able to integrate it with an auth app suchas Google's Auth, or Authy through your phone. That way, if you login from a suspicious place, or a new location, you need to type in the code from your phone, which is automatically regenerated every few seconds.

The "steam guard" that they use is a very poor attempt at being a proprietary 2factor authentication.  

Steam should strictly implement a proper 2 factor auth. Go through the same method in which facebook, google, lastpass, and others do. 

Be able to integrate it with an auth app suchas Google's Auth, or Authy through your phone. That way, if you login from a suspicious place, or a new location, you need to type in the code from your phone, which is automatically regenerated every few seconds.

The "steam guard" that they use is a very poor attempt at being a proprietary 2factor authentication.  

They have it now. Although the issue is that my phones space cant hold steam on the main OS so i cant use it. Plus its either Phone OR email. You cant use both.

Thats the thing. My accounts fine. All that was touched was my CS:GO skins. Like they just cleaned that tab. There's nothing else been touched. No attempt on transactions, no attempt to sell anything, no attempt to get the account change/VAC'd or nothing. They just seemed to bypass every saftey protocol and get all my skins. Which i dont understand.

TS was already open. Wait you mean the servers welcome message? Idk. TS didnt say i was kicked or removed from a server, i just got i couldnt join because of an invalid plugin.

Oh yeah, infected plugin attacks.

They have it now. Although the issue is that my phones space cant hold steam on the main OS so i cant use it. Plus its either Phone OR email. You cant use both.

You aren't understanding what I am talking about.