Destiny questions

megjake101

In fairly new to the game and I just reached level 20. I was wondering how do I get armor because up till this point I could just buy it. But now it doesn't let me do that with glimmer for level 20 gear. I'm also curious about how you unlock missions because I though I had earth completely done but there is still unlocked missions threre

I haven't played Destiny in awhile but to advance past level 20 you need 'Light'. However that's changing with the Taken King Expansion so just wait until then to level up more if they haven;t updated that part already. In regards to the unlocking missions you'd have to tell me which ones. You don't need to complete all the mission to complete the game but i THINK the ones you're talking about are probably the Strikes or Raid or something of that nature. I really haven't played in like 6 months so I hope this was somewhat helpful

Spoiler
Spoiler

Case Corsair Air 540 CPU AMD Ryzen 5 1600 GPU EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 SC2 iCX Motherboard Asus X370-F Memory G.Skill Flare X 16GB (2x8) 2400MHz Display Asus VG248QE Storage Samsung 960 Pro 512GB - Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD - 1TB Seagate Barracuda - 1TB WD Blue OS MS X Pro Peripherals Corsair K70 RGB Rapidfire -  Razer DeathAdder 2013

Spoiler

Case 15.4" Mid 2012 MacBook Pro CPU Intel Core i7-3720QM GPU Nvidia GT650M Memory Crucial 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600MHz Display 1680x1050 AntiGlare Display Storage 1TB 5400RPM or Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD OS OS X Yosemite (Maybe El Capitan?) - BootCamp MS X Pro Peripherals Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2014 -  Razer DeathAdder 2013 - Mionix Naos 7000 - Logitech K120 - Razer Tartarus Keypad

To buy armor you need to go sit in either a crucible or a Vanguard strike playlist to earn Marks in order to buy better armor. Generally you'll get a ton of blue engrams with high light level armor as well while earning your marks to buy the best gear. Also do you have the DLC and what platform are you playing on? Because if you do then go run Prison of Elders and that's your best bet for quickly aquiring gear. 

To buy armor you need to go sit in either a crucible or a Vanguard strike playlist to earn Marks in order to buy better armor. Generally you'll get a ton of blue engrams with high light level armor as well while earning your marks to buy the best gear. Also do you have the DLC and what platform are you playing on? Because if you do then go run Prison of Elders and that's your best bet for quickly aquiring gear. 

I completely forgot about that mechanic. Personally I avoided the Crucible since the reward system was in my opinion and many other early-adopters terrible. I'm pretty sure the worst I did the more and better gear I got. Strike playlists were my go to for Marks and the potential engram drops definitely help especially with the updated Cryptarch.

Spoiler
Spoiler

Case Corsair Air 540 CPU AMD Ryzen 5 1600 GPU EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 SC2 iCX Motherboard Asus X370-F Memory G.Skill Flare X 16GB (2x8) 2400MHz Display Asus VG248QE Storage Samsung 960 Pro 512GB - Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD - 1TB Seagate Barracuda - 1TB WD Blue OS MS X Pro Peripherals Corsair K70 RGB Rapidfire -  Razer DeathAdder 2013

Spoiler

Case 15.4" Mid 2012 MacBook Pro CPU Intel Core i7-3720QM GPU Nvidia GT650M Memory Crucial 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600MHz Display 1680x1050 AntiGlare Display Storage 1TB 5400RPM or Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD OS OS X Yosemite (Maybe El Capitan?) - BootCamp MS X Pro Peripherals Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2014 -  Razer DeathAdder 2013 - Mionix Naos 7000 - Logitech K120 - Razer Tartarus Keypad

I completely forgot about that mechanic. Personally I avoided the Crucible since the reward system was in my opinion and many other early-adopters terrible. I'm pretty sure the worst I did the more and better gear I got. Strike playlists were my go to for Marks and the potential engram drops definitely help especially with the updated Cryptarch.

It still is terrible I don't play crucible unless Iron Banner has anything I want. And thankfully I'm not creating anymore new characters so I don't have to worry about using the crucible to grind out xp levels.levels. Thats still how it works Worse you play more likely you are to get an exotic or legendary to drop. Strikes are the best source of engrams and Rahool has been less of a dick since recent updates as he's become a lot more generous with legendary engram presents than he used to.

FYI: Also if you are using multiple characters the best way to manage items is with the google chrome destiny item manager plug in. It is awesome for gear/weapon management.

As a Destiny player who has only reached lvl 17, and hasn't bought any of the expansions...what do I have access to as of today?

I'm a bit confused as to what I need to progress any further.

Do I have to purchase the House Of Wolves and The Dark Below expansions BEFORE I can purchase The Taken King?

As a Destiny player who has only reached lvl 17, and hasn't bought any of the expansions...what do I have access to as of today?

Do I have to purchase the House Of Wolves and The Dark Below expansions BEFORE I can purchase The Taken King?

That's a great question. The general answer I'm hearing is almost all of the end-game content. THEORETICALLY, from a story standpoint, you should need House of Wolves because it directly correlates to the Taken King but I high doubt that is the case. Here comes the super speculatory stuff. I would guess you don't need the previous expansions since Year Two is a whole reworking of the game, BUT because of the cost of everything it actually makes sense to buy the Taken King Legendary Edition. Below I will list the costs and that should explain it neatly.

Destiny The Taken King Legendary Edition - 59.99 USD

This bundle includes

- Destiny (Base Game) - 39.99

- Expansion Pass (Dark Below & House of Wolves) - 34.99

- Taken King Expansion - 49.99

Cost of Individual Parts - 124.97

*While you won't pay the full price listed for the base Destiny game, you still save.

So really the answer is, do you like Destiny? Do you have friends to play with? If both yes then go ahead and buy it, if not I'd do some thinking.

Disclaimer - I played Destiny for 244 hours on Xbox One. I have played the Dark Below and The House of Wolves. I HAVE NOT played or own Taken King because I am currently displeased with the way Bungie (its probably actually all Activision's fault) is handling Destiny. Oh, like an asshole I pre-ordered it.

Edit: I pressed some buttons accidentally, please hold while I rectify the situation.

Edit: Fixed it.

Edit: Disclaimer

Spoiler
Spoiler

Spoiler

Strike Playlists and Crucible Playlists easiest way to earn Vanguard/Crucible Marks in order to buy good armor to help get you to level 32. No you do not have to buy them in order to play taken king. However they both directly tie into Taken King so if you want to get all the background lore leading into The Taken King I would recommend completing those two expansions before you start the new expansion.

That's a great question. The general answer I'm hearing is almost all of the end-game content. THEORETICALLY, from a story standpoint, you should need House of Wolves because it directly correlates to the Taken King but I high doubt that is the case. Here comes the super speculatory stuff. I would guess you don't need the previous expansions since Year Two is a whole reworking of the game, BUT because of the cost of everything it actually makes sense to buy the Taken King Legendary Edition. Below I will list the costs and that should explain it neatly.

Destiny The Taken King Legendary Edition - 59.99 USD

This bundle includes

- Destiny (Base Game) - 39.99

- Expansion Pass (Dark Below & House of Wolves) - 34.99

- Taken King Expansion - 49.99

Cost of Individual Parts - 124.97

*While you won't pay the full price listed for the base Destiny game, you still save.

So really the answer is, do you like Destiny? Do you have friends to play with? If both yes then go ahead and buy it, if not I'd do some thinking.

Edit: I pressed some buttons accidentally, please hold while I rectify the situation.

Edit: Fixed it.

^Best answer/suggestion. It includes The Taken King both previous expansions(Dark Below, and House of Wolves) and the base game. It's the best value instead of buying the other expansions seperately

Strike Playlists and Crucible Playlists easiest way to earn Vanguard/Crucible Marks in order to buy good armor to help get you to level 32. No you do not have to buy them in order to play taken king. However they both directly tie into Taken King so if you want to get all the background lore leading into The Taken King I would recommend completing those two expansions before you start the new expansion.

I was under the impression that the infamous Light Level was no longer a mechanic. This is kind of important I guess so I'll include it but here,

Non Taken King Max Level - 34

Taken King Max Level - 40

I am 99% sure that the game now relies on experience to level your character and the world's most annoying leveling mechanic (Light System) has been phased out.

Edit: Crucible sucks, without Taken King there have been some changes to Strike Playlists, like them not being there...

Spoiler
Spoiler

Spoiler

Thanks for the info, guys. 

I guess my greatest enemy is time...which is why I'm still at level 17 on 'vanilla' Destiny.

Just didn't have the time to keep up, and now it looks like Destiny has left me behind.

(...and the reason I stopped playing regularly, is the difficulty in understanding just how to level up at a faster rate, and of course, time)

Based on what I'm seeing, it seems like I won't be able to level up past 20 unless I at least get the two DLCs.

I'm less than pleased at Bungievision's pricing model shenanigans here, but I've never played any MMO before Destiny,

so it's my own fault for not understanding that when expansions drop, some 'older' content is disabled/removed.

At this point, I've already accepted that MMOs (and by extension, Destiny) aren't for me.  I just don't have the time to keep up.

It's been a fun ride though.  MGS5:TPP awaits.  :)

Thanks for the info, guys. 

I guess my greatest enemy is time...which is why I'm still at level 17 on 'vanilla' Destiny.

Just didn't have the time to keep up, and now it looks like Destiny has left me behind.

(...and the reason I stopped playing regularly, is the difficulty in understanding just how to level up at a faster rate, and of course, time)

Based on what I'm seeing, it seems like I won't be able to level up past 20 unless I at least get the two DLCs.

I'm less than pleased at Bungievision's pricing model shenanigans here, but I've never played any MMO before Destiny,

so it's my own fault for not understanding that when expansions drop, some 'older' content is disabled/removed.

At this point, I've already accepted that MMOs (and by extension, Destiny) aren't for me.  I just don't have the time to keep up.

It's been a fun ride though.  MGS5:TPP awaits.   :)

No Destiny is just bullshit. I understand completely why you stopped its not a nice game and now that were in Year Two its basically gave all of the early adopters and loyal fans a middle finger. Normal PC MMOs have expansion updates that bring change but, I'll use WoW for example, you don't pay for the expansion. Granted you pay a subscription but the updates are free and any changes that take place don't necessarily screw over the fan base. Activision and Destiny ruined a potentially great game. If you ask the extra salty people like me it was ruined before it even launched. However MGSV:TPP I would absolutely get behind....if Konami didn't do the things it did...

Spoiler
Spoiler

Spoiler

• 2 weeks later...

I appreciate all the feedback, but now Bungie wants me to pay 40 bucks to advance further. So Im basically stuck right now

I appreciate all the feedback, but now Bungie wants me to pay 40 bucks to advance further. So Im basically stuck right now

Yeah after pre-ordering the game and paying for both expansion packs, they want me to pay even more just play the game? No, that's ridiculous. Even though I stopped playing Destiny right before the Crota raid launched it's kind of ridiculous to treat your supporters like this

Spoiler
Spoiler

Spoiler