Plugging in 3d surround 1 monitor per GPU or all monitors into 1 +dual SLI 980ti vs. triple SLI 980

alexx2208

Title says it all

I'm trying to do a triple monitor 3d surround system, and I'm wondering if there is a benefit to plugging each monitor into a single GPU, vs. all into just one.

I guess that the first question could answer the second, as if all should be plugged into one, that I should purchase 2 980ti's instead of 3 980's, but if anyone could help with their opinions, that would be great.

Thanks again

Alex

Oh Alex... what have you got yourself into???

You see... to do nVidia 3d Surround you will need 3 monitors that can run at least 120Hz and are certified for both nVidia 3D Vision and G-Sync.

Not only have I not seen these kind of monitors on the market,

you will also need a display splitter and run two cables from your monitor and plug each end of the Cable into a separate GPU.

Since you will be running 3D Vision and HDMI can do only 60Hz then you will have to have two GPUs for each monitor, and since you will have Surround you will need a pair for each of those.

That in total makes it 6 GPUs - one for each of your eyes to make it 3D and a pair for each of your monitors to make ir Surround and I don't know if you want to go down this way.

I would much rather recommend you getting a single card solution from AMD:

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

Title says it all

I'm trying to do a triple monitor 3d surround system, and I'm wondering if there is a benefit to plugging each monitor into a single GPU, vs. all into just one.

I guess that the first question could answer the second, as if all should be plugged into one, that I should purchase 2 980ti's instead of 3 980's, but if anyone could help with their opinions, that would be great.

Thanks again

Alex

well you cant do 3monitors with 3d. that would be insane

when you just wanna hook up 3 normal monitors it dosnt matter since with sli the workload is divided equaly.

i would go for 2 980ti's. 2way sli is mostly better supported than 3way

Desktop Build Log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/486571-custom-wooden-case-with-lighting/#entry6529892

thinkpad l450, i5-5200u, 8gb ram, 1080p ips, 250gb samsung ssd, fingerprint reader, 72wh battery <3, mx master, motorola lapdock as secound screen

Please quote if you want me to respond and marking as solved is always appreciated.

Oh Alex... what have you got yourself into???

You see... to do nVidia 3d Surround you will need 3 monitors that can run at least 120Hz and are certified for both nVidia 3D Vision and G-Sync.

Not only have I not seen these kind of monitors on the market,

you will also need a display splitter and run two cables from your monitor and plug each end of the Cable into a separate GPU.

Since you will be running 3D Vision and HDMI can do only 60Hz then you will have to have two GPUs for each monitor, and since you will have Surround you will need a pair for each of those.

That in total makes it 6 GPUs - one for each of your eyes to make it 3D and a pair for each of your monitors to make ir Surround and I don't know if you want to go down this way.

I would much rather recommend you getting a single card solution from AMD:

DXmember,

I do not see anything on the GeForce website stating that you need Gsync/3d vision monitors, since they don't exist. I have 3 Asus VG248QE 3d monitors.

The website states that you need to connect through DVI or displayport only, and I'm ok with that. My real question is, is there a benefit to having a GPU for each monitor, and each monitor plugged in to its own GPU.

Here's the site: http://www.geforce.c...em-requirements

Again, it states nothing about Gsync, because Gsync and 3D vision are incompatible.