Is it possible that a motherboard change would help my GPU?

PCGamesBeLike

I got my GTX 750 Ti a few months ago, but it's been getting only 20 or so FPS in EVERY game I test on low (including BF4, Crysis 3, even less intensive games like Sonic Generations). I've tried everything including overclocks, repositioning, tinkering with the settings everyone recommended, etc. Is it possible this lies in the motherboard? My PC is a:

i5-2320

Generic Acer Motherboard (it's a Gateway DX-4860-UB33P)

8GB DDR3-1333

GTX 750 Ti 2GB (single-fan)

500W PSU (it's a Cooler Master, I can't remember what the model is specifically)

1TB HDD

I added the PSU and the 750 Ti myself.

U WOT M8

um

maybe? 

since its not like, a gaming PC with a custom board we really cant tell you that much. But probably would help.

Not to mention

your trying to play BF4. BF4. and Crysis. 

You know how intensive those games are right?

Those games are pretty demanding. And that card isn't all that powerful, either.

Motherboard won't make a difference.

Not sure if changing the board would help or not, but if this gives you any insight, I was using a reference 550 ti with a stock HP MOBO and I was able to get 60+ frames in several games that could be considered graphically intensive, with the settings around medium, shadows always off.

CPU: I7 4790k  CPU Cooler: NH-D15 GPUMSI 970 4gb   Motherboard: z97 Gaming 5 PSU: Corsair hx850   Ram: Corsair Vengeance 8 gb  SSD: Samsung 850 Evo  Case: Air 540

Those games are pretty demanding. And that card isn't all that powerful, either.

Motherboard won't make a difference.

One of my friends have a similar CPU (I know it's in the i5-2 line of CPU's) and a 650 Ti, but he's at LEAST able to get 720p low 60fps, like I am trying to obtain.

U WOT M8

When in game what does the game say your GPU is? It seems maybe you're using integrated graphics. I know Minecraft and Tomb Raider have something that shows what GPU you're using.

G3258 @ 4.5 | 8GB Team Vulcan RAM | 128GB Kingston V300 SSD (I didn't know what I was doing when I bought it) | MSI H81I Motherboard | Corsair H55 with Noctua NF-P12 | EVGA SSC GTX 960 4GB | OCZ 550W Fully Modular PSU with Noctua NF-A14 | Cooler Master Elite 130 (Soon to be something cool)

When in game what does the game say your GPU is? It seems maybe you're using integrated graphics. I know Minecraft and Tomb Raider have something that shows what GPU you're using.

Most games say I'm using a "Generic Card" or whatever, which is really strange because I turned off integrated graphics, and I have the latest drivers too.

U WOT M8

Most games say I'm using a "Generic Card" or whatever, which is really strange because I turned off integrated graphics, and I have the latest drivers too.

That is weird, I'd double check and make sure you have integrated graphics off.

CPU: I7 4790k  CPU Cooler: NH-D15 GPUMSI 970 4gb   Motherboard: z97 Gaming 5 PSU: Corsair hx850   Ram: Corsair Vengeance 8 gb  SSD: Samsung 850 Evo  Case: Air 540

Might be a stupid question but your HDMI is plugged into the graphics card and not the motherboard, right?

That is weird, I'd double check and make sure you have integrated graphics off.

I think I've checked way too many times at this point.

Might be a stupid question but your HDMI is plugged into the graphics card and not the motherboard, right?

Yes, yes it is. Like I said, this issue has been ongoing since June or so. I've had a Zotac 750 Ti previously, suffering this same issue, I thought it was the card, but it's not.

U WOT M8

I think I've checked way too many times at this point.

Yes, yes it is. Like I said, this issue has been ongoing since June or so. I've had a Zotac 750 Ti previously, suffering this same issue, I thought it was the card, but it's not.

How did you go about making sure it isn't the card? It may help solve the problem.

How did you go about making sure it isn't the card? It may help solve the problem.

I have had two cards, a Zotac single fan 750 Ti, and an EVGA single fan 750 Ti.

For some strange reason, while games only got 20-below frames per second, only 20% max GPU usage would happen, and usually it would crash.

Also, in EVERY game, the textures are only stuck at low, even if I crank it up to Ultra 8XMSAA (where the game SHOULD crash), it would still be treated as a graphics changed never happened.

U WOT M8

I remember reading your post before haha! Have you tried searching the name of your computer or the motherboard (brand, line, numbers) and see if anyone else has the same problem with GPUs as you? How about reinstalling the OS?

G3258 @ 4.5 | 8GB Team Vulcan RAM | 128GB Kingston V300 SSD (I didn't know what I was doing when I bought it) | MSI H81I Motherboard | Corsair H55 with Noctua NF-P12 | EVGA SSC GTX 960 4GB | OCZ 550W Fully Modular PSU with Noctua NF-A14 | Cooler Master Elite 130 (Soon to be something cool)

I remember reading your post before haha! Have you tried searching the name of your computer or the motherboard (brand, line, numbers) and see if anyone else has the same problem with GPUs as you? How about reinstalling the OS?

Haha, yeah. It's the Gateway DX-4860-UB33P. I've barely been able to find any info on this PC (since it was a present from a family member, since they were getting rid of their old one, they said it's from Best Buy), so that hasn't really helped. I've done the Windows 7- Windows 10 thing, but I may reinstall the OS.

U WOT M8

Haha, yeah. It's the Gateway DX-4860-UB33P. I've barely been able to find any info on this PC (since it was a present from a family member, since they were getting rid of their old one, they said it's from Best Buy), so that hasn't really helped. I've done the Windows 7- Windows 10 thing, but I may reinstall the OS.

I would definitely try to reinstall the OS. The most efficient way of doing so would probably be to find another hard drive that you can just plug into the same place your current hard drive is and just temporary have it connected like that then install the OS to the new drive so you don't have to destroy all your data or deal with backing up. After that you don't even have to activate, just install the drivers and a game and see if you have the same problems. If that doesn't work, I really have no idea what your problem could be. You could try getting another motherboard, it shouldn't be too hard if the case is a good enough size and the stuff is standard. It also shouldn't cost too much but you'll probably have to go used for a older CPU. You could maybe even put up a craigslist add offering to trade your 750ti for a motherboard.