setting up a domain.

Fredrikmikael

Hello!

I'm trying to play around with windows server 2008 r2 on a VM, i want to set up a domain and add one of my user accounts to the domain but i might need some guides and help.

e.g What router settings do i have to change?

How to configure everything correctly?

The reason i want to set up a domain is just to play around in/learn powershell.

System

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 5820K @4.5GHz - 1.230v  RAM: HyperX Fury DDR4 4x4GB 2666MHz  MB: MSI X99S SLI PLUS  CASE: NZXT H440  CPU-COOLER: Fractal Design Kelvin S24  PSU: Corsair RM1000W w/ white sleeved cable kit  GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 ARMOR  MONITOR: LG 27GL850-B  STORAGE: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2, Samsung 840 EVO 256GB,  WD Red 3TB

I'd say turn the DHCP off and set it up on the server side in AD.

I myself found that setting up your first Windows server isn't as simple as asking for direct answers on forums. You need to know so much and also how things connect. Do note that people smarter than you or me spend years in universities to learn just this. There are some great tutorial series on Youtube and especially Lynda.com.

@Fredrikmikael

(Might want to follow your own post)

To sign into a domain you won't have to change anything on the router.  You will just need to set the server up as a domain controller, create a user on the domain.

Then join your computer to the domain. (Needs to be a pro version of windows or higher to join a domain) 

However logging into a domain isn't all that useful on its own, it depends on what your trying to do as to what you want to set up.

Group policies restrict a PC connected to a domain dependant on the user group.

File server has to be enabled to enable user shares

DHCP can be set up on the server for more control over your network devices (would disable on the router if you enable on the server (as said above))

DNS/WINS

print server

web server

mail server

etc...

The list goes on and on.

So perhaps if you could let us know what you're trying to accomplish it would be easier to explain.

With a little bit of tech knowledge and the ability to read you should be able to figure your way around the server management console.

It isn't all that complicated, just time consuming while your figuring it out.

If you're doing it in a VM snap shots are your best friend so you can restore you machine if you make a mistake.

As the guy above said you can use Lynda or youtube tutorials.

It's going to be much easier if you know what you want to do first.

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k
  • CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212+ 
  • RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (2x8GB)
  • GPU: Gigabyte G1 R9 390 
  • Mobo: Asus Z170-AR
  • PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 900W 
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 
  • Case: Fractal Design R4

@Fredrikmikael

(Might want to follow your own post)

To sign into a domain you won't have to change anything on the router.  You will just need to set the server up as a domain controller, create a user on the domain.

Then join your computer to the domain. (Needs to be a pro version of windows or higher to join a domain) 

However logging into a domain isn't all that useful on its own, it depends on what your trying to do as to what you want to set up.

Group policies restrict a PC connected to a domain dependant on the user group.

File server has to be enabled to enable user shares

DHCP can be set up on the server for more control over your network devices (would disable on the router if you enable on the server (as said above))

DNS/WINS

print server

web server

mail server

etc...

The list goes on and on.

So perhaps if you could let us know what you're trying to accomplish it would be easier to explain.

With a little bit of tech knowledge and the ability to read you should be able to figure your way around the server management console.

It isn't all that complicated, just time consuming while your figuring it out.

If you're doing it in a VM snap shots are your best friend so you can restore you machine if you make a mistake.

As the guy above said you can use Lynda or youtube tutorials.

It's going to be much easier if you know what you want to do first.

Basicly what i want to do is to learn powershell.

So if i have a domain running on the server and have a user in the domain i can remote into lets say the DC from a user.

System

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 5820K @4.5GHz - 1.230v  RAM: HyperX Fury DDR4 4x4GB 2666MHz  MB: MSI X99S SLI PLUS  CASE: NZXT H440  CPU-COOLER: Fractal Design Kelvin S24  PSU: Corsair RM1000W w/ white sleeved cable kit  GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 ARMOR  MONITOR: LG 27GL850-B  STORAGE: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2, Samsung 840 EVO 256GB,  WD Red 3TB

You don't want to use powershell on the local machine?

or you could just use RDP to remote in if you want to use powershell.

Powershell also supports remote access it just has to be enabled. Then you don't even have to get remote desktop access to use Powershell you can remote access the shell directly.

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 

You don't want to use powershell on the local machine?

or you could just use RDP to remote in if you want to use powershell.

Powershell also supports remote access it just has to be enabled. Then you don't even have to get remote desktop access to use Powershell you can remote access the shell directly.

Holy hell.

If i have two computers on the same network, how would i remote access the shell on the other computer?

System

Spoiler

This article does a pretty good job of explaining it.

Spoiler

Holy hell.

If i have two computers on the same network, how would i remote access the shell on the other computer?

Powershell can remote connect to any machine on the network and issue it commands.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

When learning Active Directory I would highly recommend an isolated lab. For example:

- Using the virtual switch manager create a normal external switch and an private switch.

- Create VM1 with a server version of Windows (ie, Server 2008 R2 Std.) Assign it only the private switch.

- Create VM2 with a guest OS pro or better (ie, Windows 8.1 Pro.) Give it 2 NICs and assign it the private switch and the external switch.

- Use the console to access VM1 and run through dcpromo to create a domain controller and install DNS and DHCP.

- Use the console to access VM2 and join it to the newly create domain. After which you can use the IP address of the externally connected NIC to RDP to it and simply connect using "Use another account" and specify DOMAIN\Username as the user.

Doing it that way you aren't joining any of your daily use computers to a lab environment especially when you don't understand the technology, you're also able to use and learn Windows DHCP without causing any issues on your home network... You can add as many client machines as you need for testing but only one needs the external NIC so you can RDP in... Then use that machine to RDP to the others.

Also approach this keeping in mind that clicking "next, next, next" through the dcpromo dialogues does not an Active Directory expert make. Take the time to understand what you're doing. For example, when it asks if you should make it a global catalog server take some time to Google what that means. 

This all seems unnecessary for learning PowerShell though... Might be worth learning the basics before you start to worry about the Active Directory module of PowerShell.