Can You Use Two 4-DIMM Kits Together?

Go to solution Solved by Samdb,

Yes, that is fine. I don't think there are any 8 channel kits since no mainstream motherboards have 16 DIMM's.

I can't find a 8-DIMM kit of Corsair Dominator GT's anywhere. Is it okay to use two quad channel 4-DIMM kits? I think I heard Linus talk about using multiple kits, but I don't remember when or on what video. If you can find a 8-DIMM kit, please provide a link.

Thanks in advance!

Intel i7-3930K

ASUS Rampage IV Extreme

"...The closer you get to something, the tougher it is to see it..."

I can't find a 8-DIMM kit of Corsair Dominator GT's anywhere. Is it okay to use two quad channel 4-DIMM kits? I think I heard Linus talk about using multiple kits, but I don't remember when or on what video. If you can find a 8-DIMM kit, please provide a link.

Thanks in advance!

Intel i7-3930K

ASUS Rampage IV Extreme

There are 8x8GB kits out there, but you're better off getting 4 sets of 2x8GB RAM kits, in terms of price. The price they sell 8x8GB kits for is ludicrous (almost $90 per DIMM). In terms of aesthetics, I recommend getting 4 kits of either, the G-Skill Trident X 16GB 2x8GB DDR3-2400 for $169.99 per kit, or Corsair Vengeance Pro Red 16GB 2x8GB DDR3-1866 for $149.99 per kit. In terms of price to performance, 4 kits of the 16GB 2x8GB Team Xtreem LV DDR3-2400 for $149.99 per kit should serve you well.