First Build!

InsomniMac

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/YMqjVn

I've done a lot of work and a loooot of watching Linus's tech tips to get to this point. I'm on build 3. So.... some notes.

I'm building for the future here so - larger case, larger power supply. Some day I'm going to put another video card in it, so making the space / power for it now seems advantageous to me. I know I will have some extra space. I'm not concerned about sound. The stock cooler has fans in it that are acceptable to me for now. I'm not concerned about buying an expensive liquid cooler - someday I might make a custom loop. Really, honestly, the corsair sailor logo is what's selling me on it. I would have gone NXZT for the aesthetic but - I know it'll be the first part to go later.

I'm using the Amazon Store Card to any part that's advantageous to get 5% cash back instantly on it. I haven't switched parts over, but about 2/3 of the parts on here can be switched whereas some big ticket items aren't worth it.

I know DDR4 is overkill, but I like the placement on the board. I imagine I'm thinking maybe even farther ahead than this system will ever need, but the cost difference was negligable and look at how fucking gorgeous that mobo is. With two extra ram slots one day I can get to 64, which probably won't be necessary for.... 10 years? More? I know I'm planning WAY far ahead for this. 

I care very, very little about the CD-DVD drive.

I went with an intel SSD drive because A) It's freakin' stylin. B) More importantly it's an intel SSD soooo I think that's better to run with my CPU? That a thing? I'm guessing that's a thing. I'd rather break the bank a bit and get a super reliable drive. I know there's alternative brands but it's worth it to me.

Speaking of brands - I aimed for Corsair, Asus, Intel as you can tell because I like to limit the amount of brand-jumping. I hear good things about Asus and Corsair, I'm happy with their items in the past.

I'm not planning to overclock, just run this guy. Hence the cheap AIO liquid cooler (amateur, I know). 

What this is intended for is gaming, editing, and possibly livestreaming. I'm going to consider a capture card for the future for that, but if this seems woefully underpowered for that, feel free to say so. I feel like I should have a separate apparatus to record. Also, lastly, I have a Keyboard, Mouse, 3 decent monitors to choose from and I can get an operating system after (waiting until the last minute to decide). I also have a very decent webcam for recording (and will consider an audio device later. I've got an electricity resistant mat and something for my wrist / leg - magnetic case for screws and a full set of screw drivers fit for this kind of work. Important things to have.

*------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------*

So, questions I have.

I threw another 980ti in there for testing and it put me at about 730 watts. With inefficient heat control or parts operating oddly, or a future higher end card, let's say putting another video card in there puts it at 850-900 watts which is being generous / paranoid I feel.  Should I upgrade my power supply if I'm thinking of doing that some day in the future? I do not want to upgrade this part later because it's just silly when I could go to 1250 now and just sit pretty. If it were you, would 100 watts be an acceptable range for error? I'm thinking it'll be ok as my estimates are a bit high, but I wanted to ask you guys. This is an area I know little about and could use some advice. I maybe should be using a better service than PC parts picker to judge this.

That CPU price seems crazy low to me. Am I dreaming, or are retailers preselling it for lower than normal? Maybe it's a preorder price? That shit is great! Tell me if you agree, I'm half tempted to buy it right now if that shit is supposed to be higher. It puzzles me - maybe I don't understand something about CPU's? This feels like a steal.

That Asus Strix card.... I'd never heard of Strix. I see it now and I'm like, cool. Fans. Bonus. Any thoughts on that?

This is superfluous but picking LED lights is becoming quite annoying. I want to find a set that has 3 different sources (back lighting for the monitors, back lighting for the case, and an additional strip so I can apply more light elsewhere) on one remote that doesn't look terrible. I might even mount the remote to the case somewhere for safe keeping, so I just want something that looks decent and not cheap in a remote. I know that's a weird request but it's been driving me bonkers looking for good, proper, RGB controlled lights.

*------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------*

Any and all opinions appreciated. I've never built a computer from scratch before. Even *thumbs up* and *thumbs down* are important datasets.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/YMqjVn

I've done a lot of work and a loooot of watching Linus's tech tips to get to this point. I'm on build 3. So.... some notes.

I'm building for the future here so - larger case, larger power supply. Some day I'm going to put another video card in it, so making the space / power for it now seems advantageous to me. I know I will have some extra space. I'm not concerned about sound. The stock cooler has fans in it that are acceptable to me for now. I'm not concerned about buying an expensive liquid cooler - someday I might make a custom loop. Really, honestly, the corsair sailor logo is what's selling me on it. I would have gone NXZT for the aesthetic but - I know it'll be the first part to go later.

I'm using the Amazon Store Card to any part that's advantageous to get 5% cash back instantly on it. I haven't switched parts over, but about 2/3 of the parts on here can be switched whereas some big ticket items aren't worth it.

I know DDR4 is overkill, but I like the placement on the board. I imagine I'm thinking maybe even farther ahead than this system will ever need, but the cost difference was negligable and look at how fucking gorgeous that mobo is. With two extra ram slots one day I can get to 64, which probably won't be necessary for.... 10 years? More? I know I'm planning WAY far ahead for this. 

I care very, very little about the CD-DVD drive.

I went with an intel SSD drive because A) It's freakin' stylin. B) More importantly it's an intel SSD soooo I think that's better to run with my CPU? That a thing? I'm guessing that's a thing. I'd rather break the bank a bit and get a super reliable drive. I know there's alternative brands but it's worth it to me.

Speaking of brands - I aimed for Corsair, Asus, Intel as you can tell because I like to limit the amount of brand-jumping. I hear good things about Asus and Corsair, I'm happy with their items in the past.

I'm not planning to overclock, just run this guy. Hence the cheap AIO liquid cooler (amateur, I know). 

What this is intended for is gaming, editing, and possibly livestreaming. I'm going to consider a capture card for the future for that, but if this seems woefully underpowered for that, feel free to say so. I feel like I should have a separate apparatus to record. Also, lastly, I have a Keyboard, Mouse, 3 decent monitors to choose from and I can get an operating system after (waiting until the last minute to decide). I also have a very decent webcam for recording (and will consider an audio device later. I've got an electricity resistant mat and something for my wrist / leg - magnetic case for screws and a full set of screw drivers fit for this kind of work. Important things to have.

So, questions I have.

I threw another 980ti in there for testing and it put me at about 730 watts. With inefficient heat control or parts operating oddly, or a future higher end card, let's say putting another video card in there puts it at 850-900 watts which is being generous / paranoid I feel.  Should I upgrade my power supply if I'm thinking of doing that some day in the future? I do not want to upgrade this part later because it's just silly when I could go to 1250 now and just sit pretty. If it were you, would 100 watts be an acceptable range for error? I'm thinking it'll be ok as my estimates are a bit high, but I wanted to ask you guys. This is an area I know little about and could use some advice. I maybe should be using a better service than PC parts picker to judge this.

That CPU price seems crazy low to me. Am I dreaming, or are retailers preselling it for lower than normal? Maybe it's a preorder price? That shit is great! Tell me if you agree, I'm half tempted to buy it right now if that shit is supposed to be higher. It puzzles me - maybe I don't understand something about CPU's? This feels like a steal.

That Asus Strix card.... I'd never heard of Strix. I see it now and I'm like, cool. Fans. Bonus. Any thoughts on that?

This is superfluous but picking LED lights is becoming quite annoying. I want to find a set that has 3 different sources (back lighting for the monitors, back lighting for the case, and an additional strip so I can apply more light elsewhere) on one remote that doesn't look terrible. I might even mount the remote to the case somewhere for safe keeping, so I just want something that looks decent and not cheap in a remote. I know that's a weird request but it's been driving me bonkers looking for good, proper, RGB controlled lights.

Any and all opinions appreciated. I've never built a computer from scratch before. Even *thumbs up* and *thumbs down* are important datasets.

looks good.

Wrong thread for this. You should have put it in 'planning'.

As far as parts go,

CPU Cooler: Someone told me the NZXT x61 is better as it is bigger. They said it runs quieter and cooler as well.

Graphics card: The ASUS 980ti strix pulls more watts than PCPartPicker claims. From this one review I've seen it pulls around 280 watts, but even with a 1000w PSU you are good.

Speaking of PSU: If you want Cosair, go with RMI or AXI, emphasis on the I. Or go with a EVGA G2, P2. or T2.

-snip-

1. Would not recommend you put a RM psu in there. They arent exactly super reliable.

2. Personally i would go with a Samsung 850 evo as they have faster write speed.

3. 32GB? kek

4. NZXT Kraken X61 is better than the h100i but its also wider so check so its compatible.

5. Great choice on the GPU.

Lot of great input here guys.

Collectively, everyone's going with that NXZT and I gotta tell ya, it was my backup choice. On another build I had it up and you're probably all right. I didn't go with it because it wasn't as highly reviewed, but the white fans + the led logo are bitchin'. A few bad reviews threw me off, but if everyone's behind it... now if I can only find the white one. White's been the theme on the internals, I want to make it crisp. I saw one a long time ago but I haven't been able to find it again - I know it's a paltry thing, but a good lookin' logo on the CPU that matches is always great.

I'm glad everyone's chiming in on the power supply. That's an area I just didn't know, and it was definitely making me nervous. I'm definitely gonna side-grade to something else. No one's freaking out over the wattage total, which is great, but I'm definitely gonna adjust the brand / model. 

----------Individual responses:

----------------------Mikat: Thanks! It's really nice to get approval from such a definitively powerhouse pc construction site.

----------------------GoldForest:

That's super good to know about the wattage, that's a big concern for me. Power supplies are kinda mysterious, like gpu's, in their all-in-clusiveness so I'm definitely gonna change it to something you guys are suggesting. The NXZT is getting a lot of good recommendations and it was neck-and-neck with the corsair for me. I'll switch it probably - I'm watching them both for now, but the positive press for the NXZT has all but convinced me. Really, I just need to see if there's a version that's white...

Also, I looked around, but I couldn't find the "planning" thread? I'm new to the forums, maybe I'm just not finding it. When I do (or someone points it out) I will move this thread and end it. 

----------------------Spas ID:

That's an interesting idea, but I don't want to buy anything that's first gen even if it's upping a last gen card. I'm going to be purchasing this probably in november around tech thursday (just to see what comes out and how prices fluctuate) but even then... that AX1200i looks bitchin, but it doubles the cost. I will keep it in mind though, especially because I am wavering between the 1200 and the 1000 watt. I know it'll be fine now, but as mentioned in the initial post, I'm building for the future.

---------------------HydraGaming:

1. Would not recommend you put a RM psu in there. They arent exactly super reliable.

Thank you, this is really an area I was concerned about and I'm glad you guys are steering me away from it. I really had no basis for comparison... and a power supply much like GPU is kind of its own universe.

2. Personally i would go with a Samsung 850 evo as they have faster write speed.

Hmm. I'm gonna have to research this. Not gonna lie, I got suckered by the look at that SSD drive, and I had it in my head that the SSD working with the intel logo might've been more "native".... but that's dreamin'. I should reconsider this definitely.

3. 32GB? kek

I still have two slots on the motherboard. I watched a bunch of Linus video's and basically, as long as the Ram's smallest card is big (8gb) in this case, I shouldn't need more than 32..... for now. But I'm keeping two slots open so in the future I can just upgrade. I used 2x8's instead of 4x4 so my minimum sized ram stick would be 8, so in the future I can upgrade and utilize this info.

4. NZXT Kraken X61 is better than the h100i but its also wider so check so its compatible.

That kraken was def my second choice and it looks sexy as hell. If I can find a white one I'll probably get it instead. I'm watching it for sure. Led's? White? Bitchin' label? Sold.

5. Great choice on the GPU.

Thank you. It was like the last thing I found, I was researching video cards for like the 9th time, saw it and was like.... fuck yeeeesss. 3 fans? Awesome.

snip

i'd recommend picking up a 850 evo or 850 pro (will last longer but is also more expensive) and an EVGA 980 Ti Hybrid :)

made some other changes but too lazy to type xD (and i gtg poop)

Motherboard: Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($159.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Storage: Samsung 850 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($135.49 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB HYBRID Video Card  ($748.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Case: Corsair 760T White ATX Full Tower Case  ($194.99 @ NCIX US) 
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer  ($18.89 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $2223.31
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-09-11 07:15 EDT-0400

Tentative Final Build

So, I went with a NXZT power supply based on Hydra Gaming's whitelist, price, and the fact that it was white (cuz why not).

I was tempted by that hybrid 980TI, but I held off. I know it's only a bit more expensive, but I'm planning to throw another card in here someday anyway. I went looking for this:

Super Sick White Video Card

But it's only in the UK. *sigh*. Then again, I shouldn't trust non-major companies. The ASUS one I have sells me because it's friggin' Asus.

I changed the SSD to that samsung series, but I didn't see any upside to getting the PRO version so I went with some wallet saving. It's spooky to save money on an SSD but I couldn't figure out what the Pro offered that the EVO series didn't and went with the data. I'm really interested to hear what people think about that. Maybe it's just a deal on the lighter one? I feel like i shouldn't cheap out on my SSD running my OS and so on, but I am planning someday to get SSD drives for storage (once like 1-3 TB ones become not prohibitively expensive) but this one's probably gonna be running my OS forever...

Let me know what you guys know about the pro versus evo series. I just, as a laymen, couldn't see it.

Otherwise I'm feeling pretty good about this. I'm not buying it *yet* until I save up enough to pay for it all in cash, but when I do I'll make some finished build photo's.