Wierd HDD problems

MachineKillx

Hey guys, I have a seagate 1tb hdd, and I bought it and after about a month, every time I turn my pc off, and want to turn it back on, I have to unplug and plug my sata power cable, sometimes more than once, now, I was traveling and I came back to use my pc, and it doesn't post, tried unplugging hdd, not working, all fans working correctly and I can't even get to the bios, please help guys...

I am  MCCCXXXVII

this sounds like a ded motherboard to me, not a storage problem

How come, since I used to unplug and plug the sata power cable and the pc would boot normally

I am  MCCCXXXVII

Have you tried plugging it into a different Sata port on the motherboards?

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

Have you tried plugging it into a different Sata port on the motherboards?

Yes

I am  MCCCXXXVII

Yes

Could be the motherboard...

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe

Could be the motherboard...

But the cpu fans were working fine...

I am  MCCCXXXVII

But the cpu fans were working fine...

Were? You should still be able to boot up into bios without the HDD.

Were? You should still be able to boot up into bios without the HDD.

They are working fine, but it just won't boot...

I am  MCCCXXXVII

Can you boot up into bios?

If you have one, hook up the HDD to a spare PC, mobo.

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

If you have one, hook up the HDD to a spare PC, mobo.

No spare pc

I am  MCCCXXXVII

No spare pc

Maybe it's the Sata cable... If not maybe the power supply? What power supply do you have or what's your PC in a pcpartpicker link? Otherwise yeah its ports the HDD.

I am going to unplug everyting and plug it again in the pc tomorrow

I am  MCCCXXXVII

~snip~

Hey there MachineKillx,

I'd try another SATA cable on all the ports that are available. I'd also try booting into BIOS without the drive being attached. Try the other connectors on the SATA power cable that's coming from the PSU. 
You would ultimately want to test the drive's health and check it's S.M.A.R.T. status on an already working computer and see if the problem is coming from it or somewhere else in your build. :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

Hey there MachineKillx,

I'd try another SATA cable on all the ports that are available. I'd also try booting into BIOS without the drive being attached. Try the other connectors on the SATA power cable that's coming from the PSU.

You would ultimately want to test the drive's health and check it's S.M.A.R.T. status on an already working computer and see if the problem is coming from it or somewhere else in your build. :)

Captain_WD.

I resolved the problem, I uninstalled and installed the ram sticks, a rubbed some pencil eraser on it (according to what I saw on the Internet), and it worked

I am  MCCCXXXVII