problems with windows

Midnitewarrior4

so im currently on a 7 year old laptop that I recently revived, it had some major slow down problems along with over heating issues so it was just tossed aside until today, found the slow down problems ( hdd was done, so I swapped out the hdd with one I had laying around, and a ram stick was loose so it only had 1gb of ram instead of 2) and unclogged the fan of dust and its running cool, well as cool as a 7 year old amd Athlon can run in a laptop.....

ok so for the os it had vista on the busted hdd that was about to die so I putt the hdd from my old netbook in which still had windows 7 starter on it and here I am on windows  starter, so the problem is now the os isn't activated and I cant upgrade to 10 or do anything, is there anything I can do to get the upgrade or to activate windows ??

Spoiler

The Ninja (current gaming pc)  Case- h440 red/black cpu- i5-4690k@ 4.3ghz cooler- coolermaster hyper 212 evo moboGigabyte z97x-sli ram- adata xpg v.1 2x4gb 1600mhz gpu- asus strix gtx 970 hdd- wd blue 1tb ssd- kingston hyperx savage 240gb psu- evga 600b peripherals: mouse- razer death adder 2013 keyboard- corsair k70 with chery mx-reds headset- HyperX Cloud 2

my laptop- toshiba satelite p850, cpu- i7-3630qm ram- 8gb 1600mhz hdd- 1tb 5400rpm gpu- Nvidia gt630m 2gb

did you know we have a gun thread ? well we do 

and a car thread ! 

so im currently on a 7 year old laptop that I recently revived, it had some major slow down problems along with over heating issues so it was just tossed aside until today, found the slow down problems ( hdd was done, so I swapped out the hdd with one I had laying around, and a ram stick was loose so it only had 1gb of ram instead of 2) and unclogged the fan of dust and its running cool, well as cool as a 7 year old amd Athlon can run in a laptop.....

ok so for the os it had vista on the busted hdd that was about to die so I putt the hdd from my old netbook in which still had windows 7 starter on it and here I am on windows  starter, so the problem is now the os isn't activated and I cant upgrade to 10 or do anything, is there anything I can do to get the upgrade or to activate windows ??

1. Do NOT swap boot drives. Ever. It is a very bad idea, can cause driver issues, bluescreens, file corruptions, all kinds of bad stuff.

2. Where did you get Windows 7 Starter? Was it preinstalled? There should be a certificate of authenticity on the computer that it came preinstalled with.The key on it has never been used, you can use that to activate. If you do not see a key anywhere, download and run this tool: https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012

Look at the key type. Is it 2 - OEM SLP? Then you're screwed. Wherever you got Windows 7 Starter from is not legit, and they have scammed you. If it's anything else, you can use a tool like NirSoft ProduKey to extract the product key. Then reinstall Windows (ask me for installation media) and try to reactivate. If you can't do it online automatically, use the phone system.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

1. Do NOT swap boot drives. Ever. It is a very bad idea, can cause driver issues, bluescreens, file corruptions, all kinds of bad stuff.

2. Where did you get Windows 7 Starter? Was it preinstalled? There should be a certificate of authenticity on the computer that it came preinstalled with.The key on it has never been used, you can use that to activate. If you do not see a key anywhere, download and run this tool: https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012

Look at the key type. Is it 2 - OEM SLP? Then you're screwed. Wherever you got Windows 7 Starter from is not legit, and they have scammed you. If it's anything else, you can use a tool like NirSoft ProduKey to extract the product key. Then reinstall Windows (ask me for installation media) and try to reactivate. If you can't do it online automatically, use the phone system.

the 7 starter was pre-installed on a net book that I no longer have because it broke,
Spoiler

The Ninja (current gaming pc)  Case- h440 red/black cpu- i5-4690k@ 4.3ghz cooler- coolermaster hyper 212 evo moboGigabyte z97x-sli ram- adata xpg v.1 2x4gb 1600mhz gpu- asus strix gtx 970 hdd- wd blue 1tb ssd- kingston hyperx savage 240gb psu- evga 600b peripherals: mouse- razer death adder 2013 keyboard- corsair k70 with chery mx-reds headset- HyperX Cloud 2

my laptop- toshiba satelite p850, cpu- i7-3630qm ram- 8gb 1600mhz hdd- 1tb 5400rpm gpu- Nvidia gt630m 2gb

and a car thread ! 

the 7 starter was pre-installed on a net book that I no longer have because it broke,

Then you probably don't have a key. Try running MGADiag anyway, it might be a key that is allowed on Microsoft servers.

if you don't plan on selling the notebook and only using it yourself I would torrent a copy of windows instead of investing money in the laptop

if you don't plan on selling the notebook and only using it yourself I would torrent a copy of windows instead of investing money in the laptop

the thing is way to old to sell, it's either going to my step dad or one of my cousins
Spoiler

and a car thread ! 

Just to put in perspective how ol it is, it has a floppy disk reader xD it's a Toshiba Satellite l300D

Spoiler

and a car thread ! 

Then you probably don't have a key. Try running MGADiag anyway, it might be a key that is allowed on Microsoft servers.

I just ran it the type is the 2 slp oem and the first couple things of the product key is blocked out so I cant see the full key

Spoiler

and a car thread ! 

I just ran it the type is the 2 slp oem and the first couple things of the product key is blocked out so I cant see the full key

Indeed. You cannot activate Windows 7 Starter with this key. If you want 10, you have to buy it.

Indeed. You cannot activate Windows 7 Starter with this key. If you want 10, you have to buy it.

well I guess im stuck on un activated 7 started

Spoiler

and a car thread ! 

well I guess im stuck on un activated 7 started

thats probably your best bet