Could old PSU cause GPU to coil whine ?

Rajahz

Hey fellas

I got a new rig with Palit's Jetstream Gtx 970, it's powered by an old (3 years+) antec earthwatts 500w. 

Could the PSU cause GPU's coil whine ? I was certain I got my monitor buzzing but turned out to be my GPU actually..

It happens only when gaming. 

It's possible. Really, ANY PSU could help cause whine, or it could just be a problem with the card. It's a 50/50 shot IMO.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Hey fellas

I got a new rig with Palit's Jetstream Gtx 970, it's powered by an old (3 years+) antec earthwatts 500w. 

Could the PSU cause GPU's coil whine ? I was certain I got my monitor buzzing but turned out to be my GPU actually..

It happens only when gaming. 

If it's under load that's pretty typical especially if your getting crazy high FPS, enabling a FPS cap or Vsync can help usually, The combination of PSU and GPU can also have an effect where some units might cause coil whine while others may not it's a bit of a lottery.

I have had specific cards that only wined with certain PSU's my Radeon 4890 was one of them. I know it was a rather common thing back them when that card was new.

System CPU : Ryzen 9 5950 doing whatever PBO lets it. Motherboard : Asus B550 Wifi II RAM 80GB 3600 CL 18 2x 32GB 2x 8GB GPUs Vega 56 & Tesla M40 Corsair 4000D Storage: many and varied small (512GB-1TB) SSD + 5TB WD Green PSU 1000W EVGA GOLD

You can trust me, I'm from the Internet.

I got Vsync On for all games.

I'll try to contact the store I bought it from, but I guess they'll say something "it's typical, no RMA, no other product, get PSU" :D 

Yup. It's entirely possible. Also possible that it's that particular PSU or even GPU.

The noise comes directly from the GPU though 

The noise comes directly from the GPU though 

It has to do with the combination of that specific PSU and that specific card you have combined together, it's very possible another PSU or GPU of that model makes no noise at all so it's almost impossible to ensure no coil whine since the components both have coils.