GPU Minimum PSU power

Hello LTT Community

I have a problem, and i believe somebody can help or rather explain it.

I have a hd 6670 1gb GDDR5 graphics card from sapphire in my rig (i5-2400, 4gb DRR3, HP Compaq 6200 Pro Microtower from 2011), and now i want to update my graphics card, but the problem is, i saw on the internet that my graphics card need a minimum of 400W psu, but i saw my psu i believe it stays that is a 320w psu from HP (look picture in addition) and that psu have no additional PCIE power connector.

Now, my question, did somebody can recommend a good graphics card without additional power connector or it is possible to upgrade the psu on that rig (its a prebuild desktop pc from HP).

post-257139-0-00474600-1441008756_thumb.

post-257139-0-00474600-1441008756_thumb.

Hello LTT Community

I have a hd 6670 1gb GDDR5 graphics card from sapphire in my rig (i5-2400, 4gb DRR3, HP Compaq 6200 Pro Microtower from 2011), and now i want to update my graphics card, but the problem is, i saw on the internet that my graphics card need a minimum of 400W psu, but i saw my psu i believe it stays that is a 320w psu from HP (look picture in addition) and that psu have no additional PCIE power connector.

Now, my question, did somebody can recommend a good graphics card without additional power connector or it is possible to upgrade the psu on that rig (its a prebuild desktop pc from HP).

A 750ti model that doesn't need a power connector would be what I would get. Some models require a connector, some don't. This one does not. You can look at the others too, just check to see if it has PCIe power connectors

https://pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-video-card-n750ti2gd5oc

Hello LTT Community

Is it a slim chassis? if so grab one of the slim cards from msi. Same GPU, short card.

https://pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-video-card-n750ti2gd5tlp

Is it a slim chassis? if so grab one of the slim cards from msi. Same GPU, short card.

https://pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-video-card-n750ti2gd5tlp

its not a slim chasis, thanks for recommending the gtx 750 ti, but can you tell me, is this psu really 320w and how can a gpu what needs a 400w psu can work so well on smaller amount of watts?

its not a slim chasis, thanks for recommending the gtx 750 ti, but can you tell me, is this psu really 320w and how can a gpu what needs a 400w psu can work so well on smaller amount of watts?

Because the 400W is recommended. The GPU might not use that much.

Any GPU that does not require additional 6 or 8 pin power cables and instead draws all its power from the PCIE lanes basically can not use more than about 75watts as that is all the power that the PCIE slot can supply.

Even though said cards can't physically draw more than 75 watts of power you'll often see the manufacturers  suggest much higher wattage PSUs as the recommended wattage you see manufacturers list for GPUs is usually grossly over inflated just to cover their asses in case people have very bad quality GPUs or some very odd setup that draws a lot of power else where.

The two large power draws in a PC are the CPU and GPU.

Most CPUs draw somewhere between 35w and 125w max and with that 75w GPU you really shouldn't every hit more that 200w at full load and that is worse case scenario.

Any GPU that does not require additional 6 or 8 pin power cables and instead draws all its power from the PCIE lanes basically can not use more than about 75watts as that is all the power that the PCIE slot can supply.

Even though said cards can't physically draw more than 75 watts of power you'll often see the manufacturers  suggest much higher wattage PSUs as the recommended wattage you see manufacturers list for GPUs is usually grossly over inflated just to cover their asses in case people have very bad quality GPUs or some very odd setup that draws a lot of power else where.

The two large power draws in a PC are the CPU and GPU.

Most CPUs draw somewhere between 35w and 125w max and with that 75w GPU you really shouldn't every hit more that 200w at full load and that is worse case scenario.

thanks for the info :D