Best Surface?

iHardware Shelden

So I'm going to be getting a Surface to replace my antique laptop for basic browsing needs and to function as my first tablet. So far I am leaning towards the Surface 2 but I'm still not quite sure. I remember hearing the Surface 3 gets hot and the 4 is extremely expensive.

What's your thoughts and input? Anything is greatly appreciated :D

A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.

Core 4 Quad Not Extreme, only available on LGA 557 at your local Circuit City

So I'm going to be getting a Surface to replace my antique laptop for basic browsing needs and to function as my first tablet. So far I am leaning towards the Surface 2 but I'm still not quite sure. I remember hearing the Surface 3 gets hot and the 4 is extremely expensive.

What's your thoughts and input? Anything is greatly appreciated :D

the best surface to build a PC is on a rubber anti static mat. Lol no, just get a Surface try to get a pro if you want to install desktop apps, or get one that you can afford.

Surface Pro 3. However, for light use as a media consumption device, the Surface 3 will work fine as well. 

Do not get a Surface 2, it has Windows RT. 

Do not get a Surface Pro 2, because it is outdated. Any temperature issues are only going to be an issue if you are maxing out the CPU on the Pro version - often the extremely expensive i7 version. And the much better display resolution, form factor, weight and other updated features make getting the newest version a good idea. 

Surface 4/pro4 doesn't exist?

http://www.gizmag.com/surface-pro-3-vs-pro-2-vs-pro-1-vs-surface-2-vs-rt/36022/

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

Surface Pro 3 is the only one worth getting right now. (Unless you want a used Surface Pro 2)

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

Surface Pro 3 is the only one worth getting right now. (Unless you want a used Surface Pro 2)

Surface Pro 3. However, for light use as a media consumption device, the Surface 3 will work fine as well. 

Do not get a Surface 2, it has Windows RT. 

Do not get a Surface Pro 2, because it is outdated. Any temperature issues are only going to be an issue if you are maxing out the CPU on the Pro version - often the extremely expensive i7 version. And the much better display resolution, form factor, weight and other updated features make getting the newest version a good idea. 

Surface 4/pro4 doesn't exist?

http://www.gizmag.com/surface-pro-3-vs-pro-2-vs-pro-1-vs-surface-2-vs-rt/36022/

the best surface to build a PC is on a rubber anti static mat. Lol no, just get a Surface try to get a pro if you want to install desktop apps, or get one that you can afford.

Awesome, Guess I will be looking at a lower tier Surface Pro 3 or Surface Pro 2 :D

A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.

Core 4 Quad Not Extreme, only available on LGA 557 at your local Circuit City

If you are really in need of a new device imediately I would go with the Surface 3. It sounds like you would just be doing some web browsing. Which isn't tough work. The atom processor is more than enough for web browsing, emails, videos, and light office work. If you are doing anything serious I like visual studios, rendering, autocad, etc. then the the Surface Pro 3 would be a better choice. But if you have the option to wait a month or two. I would. I believe there is going to be an annoucement for the Surface Pro 4 in October from what I have read from some other sites. In the past Microsoft released new Surface pros in about 6-8 months from each other. It's been over a year. And it's about due for a new Surface. But I bet they waited for Skylake mobile chips.

My Gaming Rig (Build November 2014):

CPU: i7-4790K | CPU Cooler: H110 | Motherboard: MSI Z97s SLI Plus | RAM: Vengeance DDR3 1886 MHz 2 x 4GB |
GPU: GTX 970 G1 Gaming | SSD: 2 x 840 EVO 250GB and 2 x 850 EVO 250GB in RAID0 | PSU: HX750 | Case: Fractal Design XL R2 |