Questions about SSD capacity..

adamabraham

Hi there, i have been adviced to use an ssd in my new build. But i'm concerned that i gonna go over my tight budget (if i choose like 240/120gb ones). Because i know one of the cheapest ones is those kingstone v300, wich is bad(as far as my reasearch tell), and even over my budget (for 128gb one). So i want to know, is 60 gb is enough (just for the os) ? Because that is the only option if i going for get an ssd for my new build. And i gonna pair it with a 1TB seagate drive for software and mass storages. Any thoughts would be helpful. Thanks...

You will regret 60gb, save the extra $5-10 for 120gb

Gaming PC: CPU: i7 4770k@4.2GHz w/ CM Nepton 140xl, GPU: Gigabyte 1070 @2050, RAM: ADATA XPG V1 16GB@2133MHz, Mobo: MSI Z97 Gaming 7, Case: Corsair NZXT S340.

60GB would be more than enough for only the OS, but if you can get one that's 120/128GB for not too much more, I would really recommend that option.

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

You will regret 60gb, save the extra $5-10 for 120gb

Okay, but is it enough just for the os?

60GB would be more than enough for only the OS, but if you can get one that's 120/128GB for not too much more, I would really recommend that option.

thanks man, i will search for more ssd, within my budget

My win 10 install was 18gb from fresh. I only run 40gb ssds in my machines.

If it's win 7 then it will be around 32gb with all updates. Not sure about win 8.

If it's win 7 then it will be around 32gb with all updates. Not sure about win 8.

okay. I'll maybe going to install win7, if not win10. I have a win8 laptop, and i hate it really much.

Wow, im running 8.1 and have 10gb left on a 120gb SSD, only things on the SSD are windows, gamesaves and a few programs that have documents on the SSD

Gaming PC: CPU: i7 4770k@4.2GHz w/ CM Nepton 140xl, GPU: Gigabyte 1070 @2050, RAM: ADATA XPG V1 16GB@2133MHz, Mobo: MSI Z97 Gaming 7, Case: Corsair NZXT S340.

In my opinion the only reason to get a small capacity SSD is for use as a scratch drive in multimedia applications

In my opinion the only reason to get a small capacity SSD is for use as a scratch drive in multimedia applications

Depends on your setup, 2 of my machines have 40gb ssds and storage is all "redirected folders" to my server.

It also depends on the volume of the files you wish to store. If you are working on a "lightly loaded" client machine then, yes it is ideal.