Decoding Memtest86 results

Chris_R.
Go to solution Solved by ionbasa,

Okay, So I tested each stick individually. One came up bad after testing each stick for 4 passes. I took that stick out, but it still Blue-screens.

This latest BSOD bug check string was entitled "ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY." --Any thoughts?

I uploaded it to the same google drive linked previously, It is entitled "NEW MEMORY DUMP AFTER MEMTEST" followed by the system name

I'm considering running memtest all night tonight with my known good 8GB set and if it comes back with errors, I'll know it's the CPU thoughts?

Looked at the minidump file, and well, its basically empty. No stack information, that tells me that something is definitely wrong and it's Memory related. I see it was while playing BF4 though.

You can try re-running the memtest with just 12 Gb of your 16Gb kit (leaving the faulty one out). Check if Memtest finds errors. If it does, then try re-running the Memtest with your 8 Gigabyte kit which should work. If it also fails, then it's definitely the CPU memory controller. 

If the 8Gb kit passes, then maybe you got unlucky with your 16Gb Corsair memory. 

********************************************************************************                                                                             **                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    **                                                                             ********************************************************************************Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.BugCheck BE, {fffff8a0070838c0, 80000002f3277121, fffff88009193080, b}Probably caused by : Unknown_Image ( ANALYSIS_INCONCLUSIVE )Followup: MachineOwner---------3: kd> !analyze -v********************************************************************************                                                                             **                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    **                                                                             ********************************************************************************ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY (be)An attempt was made to write to readonly memory.  The guilty driver is on thestack trace (and is typically the current instruction pointer).When possible, the guilty driver's name (Unicode string) is printed onthe bugcheck screen and saved in KiBugCheckDriver.Arguments:Arg1: fffff8a0070838c0, Virtual address for the attempted write.Arg2: 80000002f3277121, PTE contents.Arg3: fffff88009193080, (reserved)Arg4: 000000000000000b, (reserved)Debugging Details:------------------CUSTOMER_CRASH_COUNT:  1DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID:  WIN7_DRIVER_FAULTBUGCHECK_STR:  0xBEPROCESS_NAME:  bf4.exeCURRENT_IRQL:  0ANALYSIS_VERSION: 6.3.9600.17336 (debuggers(dbg).150226-1500) amd64freLAST_CONTROL_TRANSFER:  from 0000000000000000 to 0000000000000000STACK_TEXT:  00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 : 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 : 0x0STACK_COMMAND:  kbSYMBOL_NAME:  ANALYSIS_INCONCLUSIVEFOLLOWUP_NAME:  MachineOwnerMODULE_NAME: Unknown_ModuleIMAGE_NAME:  Unknown_ImageDEBUG_FLR_IMAGE_TIMESTAMP:  0IMAGE_VERSION:  BUCKET_ID:  INVALID_KERNEL_CONTEXTFAILURE_BUCKET_ID:  INVALID_KERNEL_CONTEXTANALYSIS_SOURCE:  KMFAILURE_ID_HASH_STRING:  km:invalid_kernel_contextFAILURE_ID_HASH:  {ef5f68ed-c19c-e34b-48ec-8a37cd6f3937}Followup: MachineOwner 

Okay, I feel super stupid. I've tried the memtest86+ auto-installer, and manually copying the file over, but every time i boot to the usb drive it just returns to the bios......

You may have to disable EFI boot for it to work. Or select the non-UEFI boot option for your flash drive.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

You may have to disable EFI boot for it to work. Or select the non-UEFI boot option for your flash drive.

WTH I literally can't get it to boot into memtest

Thanks!

Chris R.

WTH I literally can't get it to boot into memtest

Maybe try downloading the .ISO and using RUFUS: https://rufus.akeo.ie/ to make it bootable that way? Make sure you're plugged into an USB 2 port.

Also, try finding an setting in the BIOS for "UEFI Compatibility Support Module (CSM)" and make sure it's enabled (it's under the Boot options tab).

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

Okkay finally got it :mellow: :mellow:  late night is wearing on me :lol: You've been such an amazing help! you have narrowed it down to 2 possibilities. Before I was thinking PSU, GPU's and CPU were all bad lol. I'm going to let this run, if I get any errors, I will run the test 1 stick at a time. If I get an error on all sticks. I will try my 8GB kit. If that works = buying new Ram never again form Corsair {2ND RMA'D kit} if not CPU is bad.

Thank you 1 million and then 2 million more :)

Thanks!

Chris R.

Here is the results from Memtest86+ 851 Errors, with all 4 slots populated. I will now start testing each stick individually.

IMG_20150830_103252257_zpsmbmfo4rd.jpg

Thanks!

Chris R.

Okay, So I tested each stick individually. One came up bad after testing each stick for 4 passes. I took that stick out, but it still Blue-screens.

This latest BSOD bug check string was entitled "ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY." --Any thoughts?

I uploaded it to the same google drive linked previously, It is entitled "NEW MEMORY DUMP AFTER MEMTEST" followed by the system name

I'm considering running memtest all night tonight with my known good 8GB set and if it comes back with errors, I'll know it's the CPU thoughts?

Thanks!

Chris R.

Looked at the minidump file, and well, its basically empty. No stack information, that tells me that something is definitely wrong and it's Memory related. I see it was while playing BF4 though.

You can try re-running the memtest with just 12 Gb of your 16Gb kit (leaving the faulty one out). Check if Memtest finds errors. If it does, then try re-running the Memtest with your 8 Gigabyte kit which should work. If it also fails, then it's definitely the CPU memory controller. 

If the 8Gb kit passes, then maybe you got unlucky with your 16Gb Corsair memory. 

********************************************************************************                                                                             **                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    **                                                                             ********************************************************************************Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.BugCheck BE, {fffff8a0070838c0, 80000002f3277121, fffff88009193080, b}Probably caused by : Unknown_Image ( ANALYSIS_INCONCLUSIVE )Followup: MachineOwner---------3: kd> !analyze -v********************************************************************************                                                                             **                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    **                                                                             ********************************************************************************ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY (be)An attempt was made to write to readonly memory.  The guilty driver is on thestack trace (and is typically the current instruction pointer).When possible, the guilty driver's name (Unicode string) is printed onthe bugcheck screen and saved in KiBugCheckDriver.Arguments:Arg1: fffff8a0070838c0, Virtual address for the attempted write.Arg2: 80000002f3277121, PTE contents.Arg3: fffff88009193080, (reserved)Arg4: 000000000000000b, (reserved)Debugging Details:------------------CUSTOMER_CRASH_COUNT:  1DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID:  WIN7_DRIVER_FAULTBUGCHECK_STR:  0xBEPROCESS_NAME:  bf4.exeCURRENT_IRQL:  0ANALYSIS_VERSION: 6.3.9600.17336 (debuggers(dbg).150226-1500) amd64freLAST_CONTROL_TRANSFER:  from 0000000000000000 to 0000000000000000STACK_TEXT:  00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 : 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 : 0x0STACK_COMMAND:  kbSYMBOL_NAME:  ANALYSIS_INCONCLUSIVEFOLLOWUP_NAME:  MachineOwnerMODULE_NAME: Unknown_ModuleIMAGE_NAME:  Unknown_ImageDEBUG_FLR_IMAGE_TIMESTAMP:  0IMAGE_VERSION:  BUCKET_ID:  INVALID_KERNEL_CONTEXTFAILURE_BUCKET_ID:  INVALID_KERNEL_CONTEXTANALYSIS_SOURCE:  KMFAILURE_ID_HASH_STRING:  km:invalid_kernel_contextFAILURE_ID_HASH:  {ef5f68ed-c19c-e34b-48ec-8a37cd6f3937}Followup: MachineOwner 

Heh, that's my computer saying I suck at BF4 :)  Will do! Once again thank you!

EDIT wow okay, so that PC went into stand-by or something.......but all the fans and led's are still running...GPU's turned off I believe, but literally all the fans and led's are still on

Edited by Chris_R.

Thanks!

Chris R.

Heh, that's my computer saying I suck at BF4 :)  Will do! Once again thank you!

EDIT wow okay, so that PC went into stand-by or something.......but all the fans and led's are still running...GPU's turned off I believe, but literally all the fans and led's are still on

Ok. Do you happen to know what BIOS version is installed on your motherboard? 

Looking at the support page: https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/Z97AUSB_31/HelpDesk_Download/

It seems that there were at least two BIOS updates which improves system stability (and fix USB3.1).

If you are going to try and update the BIOS, I'd suggest swapping in the 8Gb kit to be on the safe side. The latest BIOS version is 2501.

Alright, well I'll give a update. Last night I decided to think outside the box. Memtest86 was saying that I had 2 bad sticks....but I thought what if the memory controller is causing this? how would I test for that? I didn't have another 4 gig stick to test only 2...and if the Mem controller could handle 2gb how would I ever know?

I decided to go backwards. I put my 16GB gaming ram into my school pc {Where the 8gb kit lives} and I ram memtest for over 10 Hours. Interestingly when memtest opened, it actually listed what Ram I had, the stock timings, along with other information, my gaming rig never displayed. After 10 hours of testing, it was only able to make I believe 3 and a half passes {It ran the memory at an agonizing 665 Mhz} and came back with no errors. I put the ram back into my gaming system not only did it crash, but also the cpu was WAAAY to hot. It was hitting up almost 72-75C.....with no change to the water cooler!

So I've decided to bet my chips (especially considering that on my gaming pc when memtest opened....it never listed what RAM was installed, the maker, or anything.} on a faulty processor. Hopefully I will be returning home soon for the weekend and I can retrieve my original Intel box, and send it on it's way!

I'd like thank everyone who has helped me this far! Your support has been unbelievable. As of yesterday, I have been diagnosing this problem for over one month...multiple replacements, swapps, and literally tearing the system down has led me full circle!

Thank You everyone for being so supportive!

Thanks!

Chris R.

Alright, well I'll give a update. Last night I decided to think outside the box. Memtest86 was saying that I had 2 bad sticks....but I thought what if the memory controller is causing this? how would I test for that? I didn't have another 4 gig stick to test only 2...and if the Mem controller could handle 2gb how would I ever know?

I decided to go backwards. I put my 16GB gaming ram into my school pc {Where the 8gb kit lives} and I ram memtest for over 10 Hours. Interestingly when memtest opened, it actually listed what Ram I had, the stock timings, along with other information, my gaming rig never displayed. After 10 hours of testing, it was only able to make I believe 3 and a half passes {It ran the memory at an agonizing 665 Mhz} and came back with no errors. I put the ram back into my gaming system not only did it crash, but also the cpu was WAAAY to hot. It was hitting up almost 72-75C.....with no change to the water cooler!

So I've decided to bet my chips (especially considering that on my gaming pc when memtest opened....it never listed what RAM was installed, the maker, or anything.} on a faulty processor. Hopefully I will be returning home soon for the weekend and I can retrieve my original Intel box, and send it on it's way!

I'd like thank everyone who has helped me this far! Your support has been unbelievable. As of yesterday, I have been diagnosing this problem for over one month...multiple replacements, swapps, and literally tearing the system down has led me full circle!

Thank You everyone for being so supportive!

Good that you narrowed it down to the CPU Memory controller. Hopefully your issues will finally be solved after you get a new chip.