First Time Overclocking Help

Hello community of LinusTechTips! It's been quite awhile since I've been on here, 6 months to be precise. Anyway, in a few weeks my PC will be about a year old and I think it's about time I overclock my GPU to wear it out until I save enough for a better card which will be most likely the 900 series. I opened up MSI Afterburner and Core Temp and I have no idea were to go from here... Excuse me if I'm a noob at overclocking but we all got to start somewhere. Providing the specifications below, I need some suggestions on what to increase in MSI Afterburner.

These are my current settings for MSI Afterburner and my PC temperature running at idle. (Yes I know I need to upgrade my cooler, and GPU eventually): http://i.imgur.com/GznDhcw.png

Specifications

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor

MOBO: MSI Z97-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150

GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 770 2GB TWIN FROZR

PSU: EVGA 850W ATX12V / EPS12V

Cooler: Stock (Since my Hyper 212 EVO Broke)

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM

Case: NZXT H440 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower

I'd appreciate it if no one here trolls, I just need a little extra "UMPH!" from my PC currently.

Thanks for the help guys, I looked at some guides and I am completely lost already - including the database...

31c at idle is not bad, but why do you want to "Wear out your card"?  Overclocking is meant to give a bit of a boost, not to kill your card :P

And for the overclocking bit, just slide the clock speed bar a bit at a time and run a test ( I use unigene heaven), and when you can go as high as your temps allow or as high as you can without artifacting/crashes, then you're god!

Star Citizen referral codes, to help support your fellow comrades!
UOLTT Discord server, come on over and chat!

i7 4790k/ Bequiet Pure Rock/Asrock h97 PRO4/ 8 GB Crucial TT/ Corsair RM 750/ H-440 Custom/  PNY GT 610

Damn you're like a modular human being. -ThatCoolBlueKidd

-sniparoo-

Also, follow your posts you dummy!

i7 4790k/ Bequiet Pure Rock/Asrock h97 PRO4/ 8 GB Crucial TT/ Corsair RM 750/ H-440 Custom/  PNY GT 610

31c at idle is not bad, but why do you want to "Wear out your card"?  Overclocking is meant to give a bit of a boost, not to kill your card :P

And for the overclocking bit, just slide the clock speed bar a bit at a time and run a test ( I use unigene heaven), and when you can go as high as your temps allow or as high as you can without artifacting/crashes, then you're god!

Oops! Been so long I forgot, followed. Not neccessarily wear out my card, but just give it a small boost for the on coming months until I get a new GPU. You know what I mean. :P

Alright, I'll give it a shot, by how many intervals? And what do I slide up? xD

Oops! Been so long I forgot, followed. Not neccessarily wear out my card, but just give it a small boost for the on coming months until I get a new GPU. You know what I mean. :P

Alright, I'll give it a shot, by how many intervals? And what do I slide up? xD

Well my afterburner has a different skin, but just slide up the core clock 1Ghz (1000Mhz) to start off with then move on to 10 increments once you get past 1 GHz

post-123438-0-99198700-1440735970_thumb.

Well my afterburner has a different skin, but just slide up the core clock 1Ghz (1000Mhz) to start off with then move on to 10 increments once you get past 1 GHz

attachicon.gifScreenshot (14).png

Core clock only goes up to 1 GHz - also I switched to your skin as it tells me ALOT more information. So I just increase from 10 MHz from here until I hit 40(ish) temperatures at idle?

that's just what my 290 hits, test some load on it then see your temps.

Core clock only goes up to 1 GHz - also I switched to your skin as it tells me ALOT more information. So I just increase from 10 MHz from here until I hit 40(ish) temperatures at idle?

Imma sleep now, but ill be here in the morning for questions.

Imma sleep now, but ill be here in the morning for questions.

For sure! Thanks for the help, I'll let you know the results tomorrow If I don't break anything. ;)