should i fold?

What kind of computer are you using? Desktop? Laptop? Topic is too vague to give any kind of meaningful information. In regards to your second question, are you referring to how often it uses unused computer power?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Depends on how charitable you're feeling. If you pay for your own electricity, then go for it. If not... I'd say not yet.

What kind of computer are you using? Desktop? Laptop? Topic is too vague to give any kind of meaningful information. In regards to your second question, are you referring to how often it uses unused computer power?

desktop i5 4670k @4.5ghzs GTX 760 16gb ram 2400 ddr3 

desktop i5 4670k @4.5ghzs GTX 760 16gb ram 2400 ddr3 

And what about my second question?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

Depends on how charitable you're feeling. If you pay for your own electricity, then go for it. If not... I'd say not yet.

Wouldn't it be better to fold when you don't pay for electricity?.....

Well it would depend on your morale but....

I produce music!

And what about my second question?

how does it work? does it just use unused power when it needs?

Wouldn't it be better to fold when you don't pay for electricity?.....

Well it would depend on your morale but....

I don't think that taking from the parent and giving to the pharmaceutical research community is exactly what Robin Hood had in mind.

how does it work? does it just use unused power when it needs?

By default, if you have a Work Unit downloaded in F@H, it'll run until it's completed. After that, it'll upload the completed Work Unit and download the next one and the cycle begins again.

By default, if you have a Work Unit downloaded in F@H, it'll run until it's completed. After that, it'll upload the completed Work Unit and download the next one and the cycle begins again.

does it stress hardware very hard? and it is for a good cause?

does it stress hardware very hard? and it is for a good cause?

You are pushing hardware to 100%. Is it as bad as Prime 95 or Furmark? I would say no, but you are still running hardware at 100%. Folding@home is intended to find cures and more advanced therapies for people who have things like cancer, ALS, Alzheimers, etc. Bear in mind, you are giving to the university for free - there is no compensation for your contributions besides points. You can read more about it on the Wikipedia page.

You are pushing hardware to 100%. Is it as bad as Prime 95 or Furmark? I would say no, but you are still running hardware at 100%. Folding@home is intended to find cures and more advanced therapies for people who have things like cancer, ALS, Alzheimers, etc. Bear in mind, you are giving to the university for free - there is no compensation for your contributions besides points. You can read more about it on the Wikipedia page.

ok

Incorrect. VERY incorrect.

You are pushing hardware, yes, but it is WAAAAY less than 100%, or as stressfull as Prime95 / Furmark. As an example, I get 64ºC on 64% fan on my GPU with F@H (and GPU Boost 2.0 even overvolts the thing), whereas a custom workload with Primegrid (Boinc counterpart to Prime95) stress my GPU to 79ºC at 81% fan - also, GPU boost doesn't overvolts the card. Although yes, hardware is constantly being pushed, rather than staying idle.

But, to answer OP, yes, you should help in distributed computing, so long as it is a cause you believe in. Folding aims to study protein folding (hence the name) to try and develop cures to diseases. It's the most mainstream distributed computing project, but there are many others, such as Prime 95, which is actually one of them (and not just the stress test we all know), or even Search for Extra Terrestrial Inteligence by analyzing radio waves (SETI@Home)! Pick a  project you believe in, and get on crunching!

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

Incorrect. VERY incorrect.

You are pushing hardware, yes, but it is WAAAAY less than 100%, or as stressfull as Prime95 / Furmark. As an example, I get 64ºC on 64% fan on my GPU with F@H (and GPU Boost 2.0 even overvolts the thing), whereas a custom workload with Primegrid (Boinc counterpart to Prime95) stress my GPU to 79ºC at 81% fan - also, GPU boost doesn't overvolts the card.

Although yes, hardware is constantly being pushed, rather than staying idle.

If you go by the reading, you will get 100%.

My 660 Ti for reference when folding:

post-7355-0-45408800-1440725585.jpg

If you go by the reading, you will get 100%.

My 660 Ti for reference when folding:

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

You refered to 100% usage. I refered to 100% potential / heat / stress, however you wanna call it. I also get "100% usage", although that clearly doesn't reflect actual 100%, as I explained.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

You refered to 100% usage. I refered to 100% potential / heat / stress, however you wanna call it.

And when I refer to hardware being pushed, I am referring to the component hitting 100% usage.

And when I refer to hardware being pushed, I am referring to the component hitting 100% usage.

That's what I'm saying bro. There are different 100%s, if that makes any sense. And f@H's "100%" is a lot lower than Prime95's or Furmark's 100%.

That's what I'm saying bro. There are different 100%s, if that makes any sense. And f@H's "100%" is a lot lower than Prime95's or Furmark's 100%.

I agree. I would also say Prime 95 and Furmark are unreasonable on the hardware overall, including the VRM.

I agree. I would also say Prime 95 and Furmark are unreasonable on the hardware overall, including the VRM.

In terms of processor load I'd say folding is more comparable to, say, scrypt coin mining.

Depends on your hand m8. (ha poker joke) but yeh why not, ive got an old dell pc churning away. every bit helps. you get a nice badge on here at 21 WU;s complete. you add to the team score. goferit

CPU: i7 6700k @4.5GHZ | Mobo: MSI Z170 Gaming M5 | RAM: G Skill Rip Jaws V- 16GB | GPU: Sapphire RX 5700 XT | Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM, Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200RPM, Kingston SSD-now 100V+ 128GB, WD Black 600GB, WD Blue 500GB, Intel 600p 256GB nvme SSD |PSU:Corsair CX750M| Cooling: Corsair H60| Displays: 27" LG IPS277L, Samsung Curved 72hz Freesync 27 inch, Epson EX7220 Projector with 100 inch 16:10 Screen | Kb: Corsair Vengeance K70 | Mouse: R.A.T. 4 |  Case:  NZXT Phantom 410 (Red) | OS: Win 10 Home 64 Bit