Windows on SSD and Linux on partition of HDD

Tazman192

Hi.

I have windows 8.1 installed on my 256gb SSD, and I have a 2tb storage drive.

I want to partition the storage drive into a 500gb or so partition for me to install Ubuntu. I'm not keen on beign asked whether I want to boot into ubuntu or windows everytime, so I'm hoping this way, all I need to do is choose to boot into my SSD for windows, and HDD for ubuntu. Can anyone advise me on how to do this?

Cheers.

"The only person you are destined to become is the person you decide to be."

CPU: Intel i5 4690K - Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Ranger - RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP - 2x4GB @ 1866Mhz - GPU: MSI Twin Frozr GTX 770 4GB - CPU Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 CPU Cooler - PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750W - Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD- Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Windowed (with Red AKASA Led Strips) - Display: Benq GL2460HM 24" Monitor

If its on a different drive to Windows it shouldnt detect two OS's, just set the HDD in the BIOS to boot priority and it will go linux instead

Gaming PC: CPU: i7 4770k@4.2GHz w/ CM Nepton 140xl, GPU: Gigabyte 1070 @2050, RAM: ADATA XPG V1 16GB@2133MHz, Mobo: MSI Z97 Gaming 7, Case: Corsair NZXT S340.

If its on a different drive to Windows it shouldnt detect two OS's, just set the HDD in the BIOS to boot priority and it will go linux instead

Okay. Do I just install Linux how I would usually install it on a HDD or do I need to mess with the bootloader or anything?

CPU: Intel i5 4690K - Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Ranger - RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP - 2x4GB @ 1866Mhz - GPU: MSI Twin Frozr GTX 770 4GB - CPU Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 CPU Cooler - PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750W - Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD- Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Windowed (with Red AKASA Led Strips) - Display: Benq GL2460HM 24" Monitor

Just remember.. Ubuntu do not use the NTFS File Format

Okay. Do I just install Linux how I would usually install it on a HDD or do I need to mess with the bootloader or anything?

Make partition

remove SSD

set Linux install (DISK or USB) as boot priority

install linux on the partition

put the SSD back in

Select in bios what os you want by changing boot priority between HDD and SSD

Gaming PC: CPU: i7 4770k@4.2GHz w/ CM Nepton 140xl, GPU: Gigabyte 1070 @2050, RAM: ADATA XPG V1 16GB@2133MHz, Mobo: MSI Z97 Gaming 7, Case: Corsair NZXT S340.

the live CD of ubuntu comes with Gparted, you can use that to make 500GB room on your hard drive. (it can resize partitions, but prepare to wait, because it'll take a while)

then make an ext4 partition on said free space, and install ubuntu there.

as for NTFS: @GamerPro11 is wrong, my ubuntu server used to have an NTFS formatted backup drive, mounted straight into the file system, you just cant launch programs straight off the NTFS partition.

make note of where you're installing your bootloader, if you're not sure, unplug your SSD before installing.

Make partition

remove SSD

set Linux install (DISK or USB) as boot priority

install linux on the partition

put the SSD back in

Select in bios what os you want by changing boot priority between HDD and SSD

Okay, seems simple enough. Do I just use Disk Management on WIndows to make the partition?

the live CD of ubuntu comes with Gparted, you can use that to make 500GB room on your hard drive. (it can resize partitions, but prepare to wait, because it'll take a while)

then make an ext4 partition on said free space, and install ubuntu there.

as for NTFS: @GamerPro11 is wrong, my ubuntu server used to have an NTFS formatted backup drive, mounted straight into the file system, you just cant launch programs straight off the NTFS partition.

make note of where you're installing your bootloader, if you're not sure, unplug your SSD before installing.

Can I not use Windows disk management to make the partition?

Sorry for this extremely stupid question, but when you say "Installing the bootloader", does this mean installing Ubuntu? So basically just remember what partition it was that I created to install Ubuntu on?

To get the Live CD, do I just burn a .iso from one of these links onto a CD, and then choose to boot from CD?

Can I not use Windows disk management to make the partition?

Sorry for this extremely stupid question, but when you say "Installing the bootloader", does this mean installing Ubuntu? So basically just remember what partition it was that I created to install Ubuntu on?

To get the Live CD, do I just burn a .iso from one of these links onto a CD, and then choose to boot from CD?

windows cant make ext4 partitions, so when you use gparted, thats sorted in one go.

each OS comes with a "bootloader" thats usually installed in the first few bytes of a hard drive which tells the system where to find the files necessary for startup.

this will be an option in the menu where you choose your install partitions.

and yes, ubuntu only does live CDs anymore for their desktop side.

windows cant make ext4 partitions, so when you use gparted, thats sorted in one go.

each OS comes with a "bootloader" thats usually installed in the first few bytes of a hard drive which tells the system where to find the files necessary for startup.

this will be an option in the menu where you choose your install partitions.

and yes, ubuntu only does live CDs anymore for their desktop side.

Okay. If I have my windows installation on an SSD and ubuntu on a HDD, then the bootloader menu won't come up, and I just choose to boot into SSD for windows and HDD for ubuntu right? A bootloader is the thing that asks if I'd like to boot into ubuntu, windows, etc but thats only if they're both installed on the same drive?

Okay. If I have my windows installation on an SSD and ubuntu on a HDD, then the bootloader menu won't come up, and I just choose to boot into SSD for windows and HDD for ubuntu right? A bootloader is the thing that asks if I'd like to boot into ubuntu, windows, etc but thats only if they're both installed on the same drive?

your bootloader points to grub in case of ubuntu, and grub is the menu you're talking about.

so what you want to have is the following: the SSD with windows, as is.

the HDD with ubuntu, with the bootloader and grub on the HDD as well.

to keep you from doing a wrong, i suggest just unplugging the SSD before installation.

your bootloader points to grub in case of ubuntu, and grub is the menu you're talking about.

so what you want to have is the following: the SSD with windows, as is.

the HDD with ubuntu, with the bootloader and grub on the HDD as well.

to keep you from doing a wrong, i suggest just unplugging the SSD before installation.

Would the bootloader/grub install on the HDD automatically if my SSD is unplugged? I really want to make sure I'm not asked whether I want to boot into windows or ubuntu everytime.

Would the bootloader/grub install on the HDD automatically if my SSD is unplugged? I really want to make sure I'm not asked whether I want to boot into windows or ubuntu everytime.

if its the only option (as in, if theres no other hard drives plugged in) it'll go there 100% sure.

if its the only option (as in, if theres no other hard drives plugged in) it'll go there 100% sure.

Okay. When I choose to boot into HDD after all this is done (so wanting to boot into Linux), would the grub menu still come up asking me if I want to boot into Windows or Ubuntu, or not because they're on seperate drives?

Sorry for all these questions, really appreciate the help

Okay. When I choose to boot into HDD after all this is done (so wanting to boot into Linux), would the grub menu still come up asking me if I want to boot into Windows or Ubuntu, or not because they're on seperate drives?

Sorry for all these questions, really appreciate the help

the grub menu will always come up when you boot from the HDD, but it'll automatically pick its first option after 5 seconds, which will be linux.

(this can be configured if it annoys you.)

the grub menu will always come up when you boot from the HDD, but it'll automatically pick its first option after 5 seconds, which will be linux.

(this can be configured if it annoys you.)

Okay. I'll ride it out and see how it goes. Last question, how do I ensure I'm installing Ubuntu in UEFI mode? I read up somewhere that I should ensure its installed in the same mode as my windows installation, which is UEFI.

You can set up the bootloader (which will most likely be GRUB) to automatically load the previously used OS. 

Set the bootloader to only show the screen for 2 seconds or so and you can pretty much ignore it. 

When you do want to use the other OS for a while, just press the up or down keys when the screen appears and the menu will stay on until you make a selection.